KME Sharpener

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ricklee4570

KME Sharpener

Post by ricklee4570 »

http://www.kmesharp.com/

Similar to the Lansky. Anybody have one or used one that can offer a review?
Thanks!
The General

Post by The General »

How is this related to Spyderco? :confused:
My real name is Wayne :D
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Yea, kinda in the wrong section. This belongs in off-topic.
But as far as the shapener goes, looks like a higher end version of the Lansky style clamp system. Nothing special in my eyes, just a higher end variation.
SMI

Post by SMI »

I have the diamond one, it was the first and last sharpening kit I bought. However I don't use it too much, now I just put the diamonds on a 17 degree wedge and sharpen that way. More of a freehand method, just kinda like that better. If you are just getting started in sharpening, the KME is a good buy as it will keep a pretty consistent angle.

The KME is fine, but there were a few things I didn't like about it. It goes down to 17 degrees per side, but when it is lowered all that way you need a really wide blade (spine to edge) for the diamond to actually hit the edge. If the blade width isn't enough, you can't clamp it far enough and the stone will rub on the clamp and not hit the edge. If that makes sense... it is kinda hard to describe. If you have thin knifes from spine to edge then just forget about it. Even at angles 20 and above it is a pain and usually the diamond won't hit the edge on thin knives. For reference, the diamond hits my Delica at every angle except 17... I'd say everything thinner than the Delica will be a task at lower angles.

The clamp will also give you some variation, so both sides won't be exactly the same angle. Reclamping a knife that was previously sharpened will result in a slightly different angle even if the same rod angle position was used as the clamp freely moves when loosened. So what I'm trying to say is if you were to sharpen the same knife at the same angle two month apart, the angle will be a tad different. It isn't a huge difference or anything, but it is slight and worth mentioning. The clamp rotates (obviously) but this is a small problem when resharpening a knife previously sharpened on the system. If you stopped sharpening that knife previously with side A of the clamp facing up and side A of your blade facing up, if you use side B of the clamp with side A of your blade the next time it will be a degree or two off. Plus the two sides of the clamp aren't a single piece so they freely move as you are tightening, loosening, flipping. So if the clamp isn't completely consistent every time, you'll have different angles.

Switching from one side to the other when you are doing a single stroke per side gets a little annoying too. For the most part you have to take out the rod, switch it and then put the rod back in. I found myself loving just freehanding it more and more.

I used it for a few months and did like it as the consistent angle is priceless in sharpening and you can get the blades super sharp. However I find myself now just using the stones and a wood wedge to give me a consistent angle. Then just hold the knife parallel to the ground and move up the stone with it. But if you are a novice and looking to get into sharpening, it is a great buy. Just know that any angle below 19/18 depending on the knife will be a task. You could always buy it and if you don't like it, do what I did and use the stones for freehand.

There are some serious nitpick things that I have described above, most will be no problem but I figured I'd lay it out.
ricklee4570

Post by ricklee4570 »

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response. It is much appreciated!
SMI

Post by SMI »

No problem. If you are just getting into sharpening, I say go for it since the stones can be used for other methods. If you are already experienced, you probably don't need a guided system anyways.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I don't own the product but if 17 degrees per side is as low as you can get, you'll end up needing something else fairly soon as you start playing with super hard steels that can support thin edges. Factory edges on Spydies aim for 15 per side so that's something to consider.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
ricklee4570

Post by ricklee4570 »

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, when you say 15 degrees per side--tht would be the setting of 30 degrees on the machine? Which means that the KME can only go to a 34 degree total?
SMI

Post by SMI »

ricklee4570 wrote:Just to make sure I understand this correctly, when you say 15 degrees per side--tht would be the setting of 30 degrees on the machine? Which means that the KME can only go to a 34 degree total?

The phrasing of that sentence was a little confusing. If you wanted 17 per side, you'd set it at 17 on the sharpener. The lowest it will go is 17 per side which, yes is a 34 degree total angle.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I used a DMT aligner sharpener for a few years and then bought an Edge Pro Apex sharpener. The concernes about sharpening I experienced with the DMT system which is a good system with a few flaws are the same problems mentioned in this thread. Every single issue that has been been mentioned in this thread is eliminated by the Edge Pro sharpener. If you want details I have them. Just to keep this post short I'll just say buy one. You won't regret it. Look at edgeproinc.com for info and videos on using the sharpener.

Jack
Slick

Post by Slick »

Just rember the sharpie trick and keep your stones flat. Oh yeah, put the Edge Pro in a 13x9x1.5 baking dish and you will avoid the water mess.

Why is this in the Spyderco on-topic section?
Not really all that slick ;)
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

looks good..
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
SMI

Post by SMI »

Slick wrote:Why is this in the Spyderco on-topic section?
Looks like the off topic section to me.