When it rains it pours/Fire in the Walls

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

When it rains it pours/Fire in the Walls

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay it's been 48 hrs. since I have seen sleep, so please excuse my rambling. Yesterday I had to bring my wife's car into the dealer for service early in the morn, after dropping off her car I decided to get a long over-due haircut, but the barber was closed and would not be open for another hour. So I figured I'd go to work, (which BTW I mostly work at night, so for me to go to my school this early in the morn is rare) Good thing I did. When I walked into my business I smelled a weird kind of burning smell, like maybe a light fixture was burning out. I turned on the lights in my place and after 30 seconds the circuit breaker clicked off and I only had half the lights working. It happened at the same time there was a lighting strike outside so I thought maybe we were hit. When the breaker would not re-set, I began thinking maybe there was more to this then met the eye. I starting checking outlets, sniffing and feeling around, but all seemed good. I next started tracing the walls with my hands and came upon a very hot spot in the wall. I called in the fire dept. and they found that there was fire in my walls. The trucks came, massive amounts of firemen, axes and picks and tore through the walls, water everywhere....smoke like you wouldn't believe,lots of damage....finally they got the fire under control. Seems like the fire was an electrical one caused by a hidden live socket hidden behind the walls that must have been 50-60 years old. Well bottom line was I was the hero of the day, saving the shopping center and maybe some lives...that's the good news no one was hurt, the bad news is the town had to close me down for business, I can't teach till all is repaired, passed inspection and then there is the water damage and smoke issues....So if you don't hear from me for a couple of days just know that I'm dealing with stuff. I just hope this is not the end of my business....I'm pretty devastated and still in a bit of a fog, I smell like smoke and have to take a shower...I'll be back soon....Doc :(
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

sorry to hear. that sounds like a super crappy day. good thing you got help before the fire got out of control.

the same thing happened to my uncles chiropractic business a few years ago.
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I am **** sure that all of us here don't want to see this being the end of your business too. Chin up old chap, a few of us fellas are gonna put in a good word for you with the big fella.
O.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Hey Doc, glad no one was hurt, especially you! I hope things get back to normal quickly for you.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry to hear about the fire Doc. Good thing you dropped by when you did.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

Sorry to hear that Doc., glad you came just on time so the damage is not bigger. Hope things straighten up as easily as possible, again. Take care. ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Hannibal Lecter

Wow...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Ssifu,

I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I am glad you discovered it when you did before it was catastrophic. Prayers incoming for a quick rebuild!

Very respectfully yours,

Hannibal Lecter
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'm sorry to hear of this. Here's a thanks to the big man that nobody was hurt. Remember - don't just rebuild - upgrade.

God does not punish us, he gives us challenges and opportunities to kick ***. If God is angry, it is because we are pissing and moaning and whining and not kicking ***. Go forth, and kick the **** out of the zombies, amen.
Donut

Post by Donut »

This turned out very well compared to how badly it could have. Most people, probably even me, would have not thought to feel for a hot spot on the wall.

If you say that there was an abandoned outlet inside the wall, it seems like someone could be at fault for this fire.

Also, good thing for insurance.

Doc, I hope you come out in better shape after this. This is an exercise, I'm just not sure what kind of exercise.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Billy

Post by Billy »

Very sorry to hear about the fire Doc, but very happy to hear you caught it when you did and that no one was hurt.

Things will be back to normal before you know it Doc! Positive thoughts coming your way!!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

soryy to hear about the fire Doc, hopefully you have insurance and they will taqke care of it for you. Smelling like smoke is a good thing, well for me..lol. all joking aside i am glad you are OK, that is all that matters, trust me it could have been alot worse.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Sorry to hear this, Doc. Hope all repairs and city approvals get done quickly and smoothly.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

Sorry Doc. I hope your business gets back up a running
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Jan,

Sorry bro for the mess. That sucks. Holler my way if I can help you in any way! Seriously.

Keep ya' head up!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad that you actively minimized it by being conscientious and aware of your surroundings.

Something similar happened in the studio that I attended in Wisconsin. We ended up holding some classes in parks, and we students chipped in by taking care of a bunch of permitting for the use of the parks. We also held an open self-defense class for the community. A few of the police officers at the school even got the help of the department in the community class. All in all, the repairs ended up taking about 10 days for code and a little more for "back to normal." The first few days were the worst. Good luck.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey doc,
sorry to hear about the near tragedy, but at least you saved the day.
weird how things happen that lead to things like this, it was just meant to be that the barber was closed and all. devine intervention?
good luck with the clean-up and rebuild.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Sorry to hear of the trouble Doc but thank goodness you made a difference so that it wasn't much worse. Right place, right time. Hope all goes well for you in the repair process.
~ Nate
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Hi doc, I'm sorry to hear this news, I'll be sending good vibes your way toward a swift and successful renaissance (renaissance?) and rebuilding of your business; glad that no one was hurt!

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Sorry to hear about the bad news, but kudos for nipping it in the (relative) bud. Hopefully there will be an alternate place to train available. Heck, "Dr. Snubnose Saves Shopping Mall" might be a bit of good publicity for you (if you wanted it).

Get some rest and hang in there.

Good vibes from Idaho coming your way.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Doc,
Sorry to hear about the disruption to your business. Good thing you were there and able to help, though. Will have your best interest in my thoughts. Good luck getting things back to operational.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!