No decent production balis at reasonable price?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Johnny Boy

No decent production balis at reasonable price?

Post by Johnny Boy »

I've always liked balisongs. Had a few cheapies when I was younger. Just like flipping. Anyways I was always too sane to fork over more than say 40 for a butterfly knife until now. Now I want a quality flipper.

So I think to myself "self, why don't you get that bm 42?"

Well I'm just blown away that they discontinued that classic flipper. Of course you can find em still... for 250ish.

Crazy stuff there. At that price point I'd probably just get a BM51 which if I remember correctly is also currently overpriced but, better than nothing.

Honestly wtf?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

there was a time not too long ago when you could get a spyderfly, szabofly or smallfly for under $200. The spyderfly was under $100 and really nice. Smallflys and trainers together were $130 at Autoknifeworks.com. I'm still waiting to see if the G-10 Smallflys will go back into production and on sale. You can probably check knife shows for good balis, but you may end up making your own.

You can always get a baliyo!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

Na I'll just suck it up and get the 51. It is too bad that spyderco doesn't do em anymore. I have flipped a spyderfly a bit. At least the 51 is G10 with anodized titanium and a d2 blade. Kinda makes me feel better than paying more for 154cm and nothing special ti.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

This was exactly what I was thinking myself so I actually made a thread in the restricted models section: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44839
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

The question becomes what you consider a reasonable price...
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

With the disclaimer that I'm not into balis myself and therefore have no first hand knowledge on this recommendation -- I have heard several folks mention they like the Bradley Kimura as a relatively affordable piece with good quality and value for money.
~ Nate
BigBrad75

Post by BigBrad75 »

Johnny Boy wrote:Na I'll just suck it up and get the 51. It is too bad that spyderco doesn't do em anymore. I have flipped a spyderfly a bit. At least the 51 is G10 with anodized titanium and a d2 blade. Kinda makes me feel better than paying more for 154cm and nothing special ti.
I, personally, like 154cm way better than d2. Just my two cents
[CENTER]:spyder: G10 Jester with me at ALL times :spyder:
[/CENTER]
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

BigBrad75 wrote:I, personally, like 154cm way better than d2. Just my two cents
If were talking about bali's. How many of you actually use 'em in contrast to how much you flip 'em?
So is the steel really that big of a deal since it raises the price significantly?
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

No guys don't get me wrong I would be perfectly happy with a 42 and 154cm (it was my first choice). It just makes me feel a little better to get materials that are usually higher end seeing that I'm pretty much forced to pay 200+(or way more) if I want it. I'm not a steel snob at all its just at that price hook a brother up.

Ya the kimura and the microtech twist seem like popular ones. They are also reasonably priced its just I really wanted a bm.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Johnny Boy wrote:Ya the kimura and the microtech twist seem like popular ones. They are also reasonably priced its just I really wanted a bm.
By "microtech twist" do you mean this one: http://www.bladeplay.com/item--The-Gun- ... wist--6185, as this is made by MTech. And Microtech has never made a bali with that name.
Just as an FYI Microtech>>>>>>>>>>>>MTech, totally different companies.
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

Ya actually and its way cheaper than I thought. Still seems pretty popular on different forums. At that price I'd say its worth a go. Make sense now that you point that out. I just assumed and as per usual...
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Bradley Mayhem ;)

s30v and ti, closest you'll get to custom while still production.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This really should be in the restricted forum.

That said there are a few Spyderco models in the $100 +/- range. I don't know what a reasonable price is by your definition.

Number produced is almost always a significant factor of price. I can hardly imagine a company selling as many bali's (since they are illegal almost everywhere) as Delica's. In fact, this is prob the reason why the Stretch FRN is significantly more money than a Delica/Endura even with similar materials.
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

Well I know they're illegal in CA but, they aren't in MA. I don't know because it seems to me that they Are at least legal to have (if not carry) more often than not. Anyways sorry if this should be in restricted models. They aren't restricted for me so when I see the name of the forum I think autos such is why I've never been in there.

As far as I could tell the spyderco models are completely out of production. They didn't lock open either which takes away from having the option to edc if I really wanted to. I even heard spyderco was offering full refunds because they recalled the spyderfly.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33326

Spyderco balis being hard to find / purchase might also have a lot to do with what KGM said in this thread.

A lot of the information in this thread also points as to why this should be in the restricted forum which is what Blerv was driving at I'm assuming.
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

*Cho* wrote:http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33326

Spyderco balis being hard to find / purchase might also have a lot to do with what KGM said in this thread.

A lot of the information in this thread also points as to why this should be in the restricted forum which is what Blerv was driving at I'm assuming.
I had heard about this. Fortunately I don't own a spyderco balisong or wish to purchase one. Again I'm sorry that this is in the wrong forum but, as far as I can tell there is nothing I can do about it. I understand that its illegal for spyderco to ship me a balisong from Colorado but, that was never the intention of this thread. I am not trying to do anything illegal as its perfectly legal for me to purchase, own, and carry a balisong in my state.

I do appreciate the heads up on the rules and legality. I'd like to remind anyone that doesn't know that owning a Colorado made balisong could get our beloved spyderco in hot water so please refrain from posting about any that you own in this thread.

That said I really don't want this to turn into a legal discussion. I'm looking for quality production flippers. At the moment the front runner is the bm 51 though someone else mentioned the Bradley Mayhem which looks pretty sweet but, is at the top of my ever expanding price range (which started at 150 and is now at 250). Any flippers out there have either and care to share any thoughts? Any other suggestions for quality flippers would be appreciated.

Mods please move this to the restricted forum. As far as I can tell I can't. Thank you in advance
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

Actually why don't we just close this thread. There is all ready a similar 1 in restricted items. Thank you
dialex

Post by dialex »

vampyrewolf wrote:Bradley Mayhem ;)

s30v and ti, closest you'll get to custom while still production.
Great quality indeed but not such a great flipper.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.