I had a dream

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Johnnie1801

Re: I had a dream

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Evil D wrote:Ugh...just had a dream this enormous python/anaconda or something was in front of my house and I had to dispatch it with my SE Military and a Civilian. The Civilian did most of the work lol.
Hope you got a nice pair of snake skin boots :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I had a dream night before last about being on the pier and then a guy is just dumping this huge crate of Salt knives into the water. I run over and I'm like "What the heck are you doing?!?!?!?!" and then I throw the guy over the edge of the pier ( :D ) and start grabbing as many blades as I can without sinking. When I got to the top of the pier again, I woke up :/
remnar

Post by remnar »

That pier must have been over saltwater. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The other night I had a dream I was sitting on my bed with my 52100 Military, and I was trimming a little piece of skin off a finger or something when I noticed I was holding the knife by the blade. I moved my fingers and saw that my fingerprints had instantly started to patina the blade. Then that patina started to rust. Then it started to decay. Then it started to spark and fiz and smoke so I dropped it on the bed, and then it burst into flames and burned a hole in my mattress.

:confused:
Last edited by Evil D on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Hmmm. I have a 52100 Mule. I had better watch out for that bugger.
O.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Evil D wrote:The other night I had a dream I was sitting on my bed with my 52100 Military, and I was trimming a little piece of skin off a finger or something when I noticed I was holding the knife by the blade. I moved my fingers and saw that my fingerprints had instantly started to patina the blade. Then that patina started to rust. Then it started to decay. Then it started to spark and fiz and smoke so I dropped it on the bed, and then it burst into flames and burned a hole in my mattress.

:confused:
Better out out a PSA to the knife community about the dangers of 52100 :D
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

David,

You are really a knife nuts ;)
(if you're on BF, there's a running thread that say you know you're a knife nuts when ....)
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I had a dream, this was sometime back, where I was walking through a huge "knives are us" like place, it was warehouse sized and had stacks upon stacks of every knife you can imagine, fixed and folder, of many brands, and to my amazing surprise in the dream, they would not charge more than a few dollars per knife, even for super-quality ones like old discontinued Spyderco knives, like the Worker and Dive Probe. When I awoke I was sorely disappointed.
Reject

Post by Reject »

I had a very strange dream last night.

I was standing in a place; it was not a far off or fretting placed. It didn’t really have any substance to it, below, above and each side, everything just faded in to blackness. But it wasn’t dark.
I felt comfortable being there.

Then I saw someone walking towards me, at a relaxed, but fairly rapid paced. As he got closer I was trying to work out who it was. I was surprised, perhaps closer to shocked to see it was Eric Glesser. Can’t be! Yep, no doubt about it; it’s Eric. I thought to myself; “why would Eric be there.”

The strange thing was; that he didn’t look anything like the Eric we know today.

He was a young man, tall and lean, clean shaven face and dark curly hair. He wore a dark pin striped suit, no tie and a brightly coloured open neck shirt. I would have picked his age be between 21 and 24. He had the walk and presence of a man. But the smile on his face and sparkle in his eyes told that there was still an eager young boy in there looking for his next great adventure.

Then I could hear voices around me. “Look! It’s Eric Glesser.” “What?” “It is. It’s Eric.” “Over there, it’s Eric” “WOW. Your right it’s Eric Glesser.” Similar words were echoed from all around me. I was standing among 15 to 20 Spyderco fans. It was like a rock star had come to our place.

Eric strode up to us and greeted very one of us. His smile and the gleam in eyes were so infectious that soon we were all grinning like fools. I still wondered why Eric was there.

The placed his hand on my back and guided me from the group and with firm handshake said “It is good to meet you.” I was surprised, but returned his handshake and replied “And it is good to meet you too Eric.” For it was indeed good to have the opportunity to meet Eric Glesser.

Eric returned to the group and with the smile always on his face and the sparkle in his eyes. He spoke to them with an eager enthusiasm and when anyone spoke to him, he gave them his full and undivided attention. Looking them straight in the eyes and even leaning forward and down a little, (for he was a tall man) so he would not miss a single word they said.
I still wondered why Eric was there.

I began to feel a little uneasy in this placed. Plus I had to get back to work anyway.
Then I was at the intersection of two country roads. I felt that I knew the place well, but a lot of the details were wrong, but no matter. I was over the other side of a barbed wire fence, in shoulder high grass, (cool day was shouldn’t be to many snakes around), working on a telephone cable coming out of the ground. It’s part of the job I do.

I was wishing that I was back with Eric and the group and I was still wondering why Eric had come there to visit us.

Well that was it. No idea where it came from or what means, if it means anything at all.
:o I do have some strange dreams.

Now that I think back on it, there are couple more strange things. Other than Eric’s greeting, I did not hear a signal word that was said in the group. :( Plus, I did not see a single knife in the whole dream.
Last edited by Reject on Sat May 13, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How much can a Koala bear?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Reject wrote:I do have some strange dreams.
Hello mate. :)

Did you have a feed of KFC before you went to bed? :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Reject

Post by Reject »

Bloke wrote:
Reject wrote:I do have some strange dreams.
Hello mate. :)

Did you have a feed of KFC before you went to bed? :p

No KFC, but there was a rushed snack of spicy chicken wings while travelling from one job to the next.
:D So it could have been that.
How much can a Koala bear?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Reject wrote:
No KFC, but there was a rushed snack of spicy chicken wings while travelling from one job to the next.
:D So it could have been that.
MSG mate!

I shoot with some hicks in Marulan who like KFC. If we have a feed late of an evening we inevitably compare crazy dreams in the morning! :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Had a dream last night I sharpened the serrations almost completely off my Autonomy. That's the second dream I've had about damaging the edge of this knife.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 pm
Had a dream last night I sharpened the serrations almost completely off my Autonomy. That's the second dream I've had about damaging the edge of this knife.
I've always wondered what the edge retention would be like on a SE salt reground to PE.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Luckily it was only a dream D, :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:49 pm
Evil D wrote:
I've always wondered what the edge retention would be like on a SE salt reground to PE.

I haven't talked to anyone who's ground off serrations, but I did talk to a guy who had one FFG'ed and he said there was no difference. If work hardening is more than just snake oil, there has to he a limit to how deep it runs into the blade so I would assume by the time you grind off the serrations you've ground off the hardened steel and you're back to plain old H1. Otherwise you should be able to take a standard PE blade and cut a chisel grind into it on a belt and get the same results as SE..?
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:35 am
Vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I haven't talked to anyone who's ground off serrations, but I did talk to a guy who had one FFG'ed and he said there was no difference. If work hardening is more than just snake oil, there has to he a limit to how deep it runs into the blade so I would assume by the time you grind off the serrations you've ground off the hardened steel and you're back to plain old H1. Otherwise you should be able to take a standard PE blade and cut a chisel grind into it on a belt and get the same results as SE..?
That's kind of what I was thinking.

But at the same time, I've never read of anyone experiencing worse edge retention with ANY H1 knife over time.

Who knows. Certainly not me :p

Maybe I'll look around for a cheap used SE Atlantic and test out this idea.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:35 am
Vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking.

But at the same time, I've never read of anyone experiencing worse edge retention with ANY H1 knife over time.

Who knows. Certainly not me :p

Maybe I'll look around for a cheap used SE Atlantic and test out this idea.

On one hand I believe Sal and what he's said about their testing, but on the other hand I also think the extra edge retention simply has a lot to do with the serrations themselves. It seems simple enough to just test edge hardness (at least if you have the machine to do so) but it seems difficult to reproduce these extra hard edges outside of manufacturing. I'd like to know more about how they're cutting their serrations. It seems like you could get the same results from a PE chisel grind, but there has to be a measurable depth that the hardness extends to.

As for reduced performance over time, have you ever seen a SE H1 blade sharpened so much that the teeth were nearly ground off?
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 am

As for reduced performance over time, have you ever seen a SE H1 blade sharpened so much that the teeth were nearly ground off?
yes, on eBay

Oftentimes under the "Barely Used" description :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 am

yes, on eBay

Oftentimes under the "Barely Used" description :p

I'd snag one of those for cheap and continue sharpening it until the teeth are gone and see how the edge retention is.
~David