Show us your First Knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Show us your First Knife

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Here is mine...I was Four Years old, my father bought me this slipjoint....Plastic Pearlized handles with a High Mirror polish blade... 3/4" blade...I loved this knife...show us yours if you still have it!.....If you don't have it tell us about your first knife....Doc :D
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... 0_0356.jpg
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
merthyrmafia

My first knife.

Post by merthyrmafia »

Well here's my little beauty, she's a Mcusta LMC 120D Cocobolo scales 36 layer damascus VG10 steel blade one of only 80 pieces made hope you enjoy her.[ATTACH]14923[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14925[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14926[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img445.jpg
Img445.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Jamie's knife collection 011.jpg
Jamie's knife collection 011.jpg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Jamie's knife collection 012.jpg
Jamie's knife collection 012.jpg (93.27 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Jamie's knife collection 009.jpg
Jamie's knife collection 009.jpg (89.94 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Billy

Post by Billy »

Oh boy, I sometimes forget I even have it, but I do still have my very first knife which was handed down to me from my dad when I was maybe 7. It's an old fishing type fixed blade with a stacked leather handle and fish scaler on the spine of the blade. That knife has got to be 70 years old or more. I will get some pics of it tonight when I get home.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2cha

Post by 2cha »

My mom bought be my first knife in India in 1973, I was 4 years old. It was a knife made for the tourist trade--beautifully enameled handle and matching wood sheath. The sheath was retained by a brass spring bar that set into a hole in the cross guard.

My first real practical knife was a "Barlow" knife or a little folding Karbar with 2 blades. The first knife I cut myself with--and badly at that--was an exacto hobby knife. I cut off center through my thumb, perpendicular to the nail. I still have a substantial scar even though that was 35 years ago. I guess it says something about me that I still wanted more knives--and that I cut myself just last night!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My first was a little Tuxedo Penknife that I found when I was six or seven years old. It was also the first knife I ever repaired. ;)

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

The first pocket knive,s was given to me from father that he had when he was a kid.It`s an Imperial Prov.RI. Penknife
Attachments
Pen knife.jpg
Pen knife.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

Bought this knife when i was about 9-10 years old.
Bought it with my dad in a toy store.
Back then they were selling knives :D .

This knife has been used very much and is the "best bang for the bucks".
I don't use it anymore.

It's flatground and a good slicer.
25 years old.

I like this topic very much.
unit

Post by unit »

Cool idea!

I can not share a photo of my first knife...it was stolen from me by another kid at preschool. The biggest concern for faculty at the school regarding this matter was to determine if the kid had stolen my knife or if I was lying about him stealing it (in effort to make it mine). It was decided that there was not enough evidence, so the kid was allowed to keep my knife. He was bigger than me, and that was that. I am NOT kidding about any of this...it was a different world back then.

And do not think I am faulting the modern world that I am part of...I can not bring myself to give my 4-year old a pocket knife (I was 4 when this knife was stolen).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not my first, just my first decent and oldest surviving. A gift from an aunt who vacationed in Germany. IIRC, I was about 8 at the time. Know I had a couple dime store ones before it, but they disintegrated long ago.

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]

Closed length is 3", large blade a little over 2.25"
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mine is long gone but it was a camillus barlow in carbon steel. A found imperial fish blade folder with a back scaler, tip broken off, and rusty was my second. It was my first refurb. project too. That one I still have.

I still have a fondness for old carbon steel barlows and still have quite a few. My first Endura was what nudged the barlow aside as my daily knife I always had to have whithin reach. I still have my first endura in Gin 1, SE, with the integral FRN clip still attached.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure if this was my first but it's the one i've had since i was about 8 and it's stuck with me since then. I have no idea the brand or age, and it has seen better days.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

I no longer have it but mine was a small one blade all steel pocket knife that had a handle shaped like a fish and keychain ring going through the tail. I bought it while on a school trip when I was about nine or so. I wish I knew what happened to it.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Great stuff guys...I am really enjoying this thread so keep em coming....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I'm going to pretty boring here ... My first knife was the typically Cub Scout knife. I have no idea who made it, all I remember is the rusty blade from a few years of use and carry.

The first knife I bought (not the parents) was a Frost Cutlery drop point lockback with multi-colored wood inserts. It was about 3" in length; illegal in my home of Chicago now. I loved that knife and carried everywhere, even in High School if I remember correctly.

I sure wish I knew then how to sharpen a knife. I don't think those knives were ever sharp. And, I could not understand why some knives cost so much. Wow, has my knowledge improved.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

I no longer have my first either, but it was a Case Stockman my dad bought me when I was 11.

John
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

My first knife was this multi-bladed Aitor, long blade, short blade, scissors, can opener, bottle opener, punch, corkscrew. long blade and punch have a bent tip (better bent than broken!), the spring of the scissors is missing. no blade play, no rust at all, surprisingly. I look forward to cleaning it, oiling it and sharpening it, including scissors, purely for fun. never did scissors before and look foward to using the SM for that. It really deserves a good spa treatment with lots of TLC, it is certainly a lot older than some forum members and I just cut some sausage with it.

configuration is like this new Aitor, second down from the top on the right side, pic courtesy of Aitor:

EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

My dad gave me my first knife when I was 8. It's long gone, but it was a Cub Scout knife of the time with a 2-inch main blade, bottle opener, useless can opener, and a small blade. I carried and used it all over the farm, but not to school (Mom's rule). Fond memory. Thanks for asking and posting.
EarthDog