Whips (not a car thread)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Whips (not a car thread)

Post by Blerv »

I searched and couldn't find anything discussed.

There was a USN thread that brought up whips and mentioned Rhett Kelley as one of the premium makers (bang for the buck):

http://www.cowwhips.com/photos/

Apparently whips are also made with nylon these days as well (like 650 paracord) so the cracking/rotting problem isn't there. They still perform well and cost even less than cow/kangaroo hide variants.

Anyone have any experience from backpacking, sport, or martial arts? I know some arts like Kung Fu, Escrima, Kali, etc use them or similar flexible weapons.

My experience is limited to a 6" bullwhip (leather) purchased on a trip to Mexico. I was thinking a 3-5" snake whip would be a fun toy. Might even come in useful someday.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

My brother makes artisan whips. He waxes the hides, cuts the laces by hand and can do anything up to a 16 plait in 6". He makes longer, but I haven't asked him what his limit is. We both crack whips for fun and he used to do shredding with his 6" bullwhip. He has snake whips too. He made a gorgeous nine foot one a while back.

I have an 8' austrialian-styled stock whip that is 8 plait down to four, double-bellied, and I love the thing. Sure, it's tough to shred a napkin from the ground, but it cracks nicely and accurately.

My brother owns a nylon whip, 6' bullwhip, and likes it. It has to be worked in quite a bit, and is not as responsive as kangaroo, or even worked leather, but it works when it is wet outside. It doesn't quite crack as loud either. I believe that it is even shot-loaded.

As for whips in martial arts, they're not too tactically useful as anything but a rope with a bludgeoning tool on the end for close quarters. At the length of the whip, they shred though. The crackers will cut through cotton and skin pretty easily. The joke that the cowboy hats keep the ears on the whipmakers is based in truth.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the great insight. :D

I was looking at an Aussie site where they do "Whip Boxing" and not sure on the length on those but they wear fencing masks and trench coats. :eek:

Do you any experience with the smaller ones in that 3-4" range?

All interesting stuff. Seems the same rule as playing with lasers...goggles are a great idea.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I had a 3' horse whip for a while, but it wasn't very interesting. It kind of hurt, but didn't do any harsh damage. Horse whips aren't really crackers. The supersonic horse-hair rope at the end of the whip is what cuts you. Impact shots from a whip don't hurt nearly as much as say an eskrima stick. They sting, but they don't cut or break skin, and you can't use them for leverage as well as a stick.

Honestly, I've only been at the business end of what I would consider a 'real' whip once, and it was horrible. I've cut my ears, back and neck a few times with my own whip, but that is a totally different animal. Catching the brunt of a crack off of a 6 footer to your t-shirt will change your life, and your respect for what slaves went through.

Typically I wear impact-rated sunglasses when I crack my whip, but I don't do a lot of circular cracking with my 8'. If I had a 6', I would always wear a hat. I typically do linnear cracking, or the "fly-fishing cast method." Don't get me wrong, I can do circular cracking and get a report on par with a 9mm, but I prefer to crack a good six feet in front of me. With the extended handle, it aims beautifully. Oddly enough, cutting with a japanese sword has a very similar forward dynamic to a properly executed whip strike with a stock whip for the first quarter rotation.

Goggles are good, but I've seen far fewer whipping pirates than whipping elves and Vulcans. It is pretty hard to get a whip to cut into an eye without a straight-on impact which would be very hard to aim due to the wave-nature of the whip crack. Your eye is pretty well guarded by bone and socket, plus you typically will blink during the sonic boom in your vicinity.

Get something to guard those ears. A fencing mask makes a lot of sense. The trenchcoats seem like they would take all the fun out of the battle to me.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

In my FMA classes my students train with the Latigo, Basically nowadays they are made from Polyproperline (sp) in the old days they were made from Stingray Tail....Kinda like a Sjambok of South Africa, won't kill anything, but a snake, FWIW, it can still raise some nasty welts, and cut open the skin...I can tell you from personal experience it's no fun getting hit with one real time.....Ouch Ouch....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks guys.

The Sjambok is an interesting tool with pretty harsh origins (like many tools). While not a huge fan of the entire CS product line it's hard to argue with the price on that one. I assume it would make a nice hiking staff too. I like how it combines flexible and solid weapons for a different dynamic.

Really I'm digging the portability and lightweight of something like a whip with a little range. Not particularly as the end-all of defense or something for a "battlefield". Rather as a nice packable for a hike.

I always have a knife on me. Having something a bit more volatile than a can of CS for those strays might be nice. Thanks for the tips!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'm always a fan of the ASP batons... my 21" is well used, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 31" next time.

'course, they make a bigger impact than a whip ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I just ordered a nylon 12 plat 4' Snakewhip from Steve Huntress at Noreast Whips (http://neawhips.com/) and will do a review when it gets here.

He has a great reputation and has done a few "SD" whips which basically comprise of a bull or snake whip (stiff or flexible handle and minor details) with additional weight in the handle and body. Essentially it's a reverse blackjack.

I even got it in brown with a little handle strap so it can pass as a wanna-be movie replica. :p
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:it can still raise some nasty welts, and cut open the skin...I can tell you from personal experience it's no fun getting hit with one real time.....Ouch Ouch....Doc :D
I have suffered through training with the Latigo. It's the thrill of the supersonic crack of the whip that keeps you going :) . I'd recommend wearing eye protection and a glove to soften the blows.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I finally took a picture of my baby.
Sir Humphry Davy
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Any review on that whip yet Blerv? My brother just made me this bad boy, an 8' 12 plait paracord stock whip. She's a beast.
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SolidState wrote:Any review on that whip yet Blerv? My brother just made me this bad boy, an 8' 12 plait paracord stock whip. She's a beast.
Hey SolidState! Nice whip and thanks for the bump :) .

Yea I reviewed my Noreast Whip's 4' Snake Whip here:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... light=whip

I really love it. Would really enjoy to get a larger whip someday like your 8' Stockwhip or a 7' Delongis style one. It seems Nylon or Poly is too practical to consider leather (personal preference at least).

The funny thing about the smaller snake whips is they actually work great in reverse grip. It sounds weird but they seem more responsive for anything but the underhand crack. I'm off the "self defense" kick of them but think they are quite fun to play with.

Still...wouldn't want to get cracked with one :eek: . I've snapped some of my own limbs on rebound before and they scream for a while.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm sorry I missed that review. That looks like lots of fun. I have a 4' snake and totally understand what you're saying, especially with a slow figure 8.
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh don't be, I forgot I posted it. :p

Happy whipping bud!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have a 12' bullwhip I picked up at a convention, it's a beast.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Blerv,
I've played with whips a bunch in DaOld days --- I like the 4-5 foot Snake Whips as they coil up and can fit in a coat pocket --- I've heard that some are loaded with 2 - 4 ounces of lead shot near the clacker and have seen some that also had 4-8 ozs. of lead in the handle.
I played around with one that had 4 or 5 # 3 Treble fish hooks in the clacker ---- I didn't play with it for very long :eek:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

@Sithus: I bet! Dang :)

Hey thanks for the comments DaBird.

Yea my handle knot is about a third of the whip's weight at 3.5 Oz. I'm sure it's the nastier of the ends. It does coil very tight like you say. That one you played with sounds mean!

The main prob with the whip for me is it has...odd...undertones. This is good and bad. Your friends will laugh but chances are the cop will think you're either kinky or a dorky Indiana Jones/Zorro fan. I'll take embarassment over getting cited with carrying a sap :p . Another reason I went with a cosmetic handle strap.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I just came home to this guy in the mail today. It looks like my bro is getting better:
8' bullwhip with a 10" steel handle.
Sir Humphry Davy