Chris Reeve Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dsmegst

Chris Reeve Knives

Post by dsmegst »

So recently, I picked up a NIB Mnandi and a user Small Sebenza. I paid a fair price for them and I have 2 very good knives.

Now I wasn't expecting CRKs to be some magical super folders but I'm a bit underwhelmed by them. Don't misunderstand, I know about the smooth opening and the lack of any blade play that even the best Spydies have hard time emulating. I'm not saying those things are not there. But side by side, I can't say that the Sebenza is really twice as good as say, the Sage 2. Perhaps this is just because the Sage 2 is such a great value for the money.

I'm very happy about my CRKs and will be raving about them for what they are but I'm not convinced that they are the absolute superior knives that some folks make them out to be.

And I really miss the Spydie hole when I use the Sebbie. :D

This is just my initial opinion. We'll see what long term use does to change that.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dsmegst wrote:So recently, I picked up a NIB Mnandi and a user Small Sebenza. I paid a fair price for them and I have 2 very good knives.

Now I wasn't expecting CRKs to be some magical super folders but I'm a bit underwhelmed by them. Don't misunderstand, I know about the smooth opening and the lack of any blade play that even the best Spydies have hard time emulating. I'm not saying those things are not there. But side by side, I can't say that the Sebenza is really twice as good as say, the Sage 2. Perhaps this is just because the Sage 2 is such a great value for the money.

I'm very happy about my CRKs and will be raving about them for what they are but I'm not convinced that they are the absolute superior knives that some folks make them out to be.

And I really miss the Spydie hole when I use the Sebbie. :D

This is just my initial opinion. We'll see what long term use does to change that.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Own a LH Mnandi, and have handled a few Sebenzas. Extremely well made, super smooth, but aside from those things, rather underwhelming. That's why is still carry a Kiwi and the Mnandi sits on a shelf. But perhaps that lack of flash is just what CRK enthusiasts value. I could understand if that is the case.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Sebs are very good knives. ....but suffer from oh hummm.
I have the large Regular and small regular and like the large better. Nothing since out of CRK is better(the Regulars are discontinued).

I like the Sage MUCH more as a user. Seb handle is in bad need of a re-design.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I'm going to try carrying it for a bit then I'll have something to compare against my Sages. I honestly prefer the CF over Ti and the Sage 1 has been my EDC since the day I got it. The Sebbie is going to have to be exceptional to keep the Sage out of my pocket for long.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Only time will tell if your initial impressions remain the same, but I can tell I experienced the very same impressions about 4 years ago when I got my first small Regular Sebenza. I was like, "So this is it?...", but 4 years later, that understated quality is what I judge other knives against now. I went from a high of about 30 Spydies at one time down to two currently since getting a Sebenza. It just does a great job being a good, no-nonsense pocketknife. Hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't have reduced my Spydie collection to what it is now, but I don't ever see myself not having a CRK knife.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I've handled a Sebenza and I have to say I was really underwhelmed ... the ergos just don't do anything for me and the F&F is excellent but not *that* much better than a good Spyderco. It kinda fell between 2 stools - on the one hand it wasn't nice enough looking to warrant getting one for a collector's piece ... and it was too expensive to warrant getting one for a hard-use knife - I wouldn't have wanted to carry it in case it got confiscated or scratched etc.

I'll stick with Spydies - more in my price bracket and more my style of knives too :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Know the chances of it happening are probably no better than those of me getting elected POTUS, :eek: but can you imagine a version of the Sage II, "upsized" to 3.5", built under license by CRK, with their pivot, clip and general level of quality and available with all the steel and other upgrades offered on the Sebenza. Anyone not at least a bit aroused by that would have to be dead, at least from the neck up. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Deacon, now that would be a knife to remember. As I said earlier, the Seb is in bad need of a redesign. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

ChrisR wrote:on the one hand it wasn't nice enough looking to warrant getting one for a collector's piece ... and it was too expensive to warrant getting one for a hard-use knife - I wouldn't have wanted to carry it in case it got confiscated or scratched etc.
The Small Sebenza that I have was already used and has the normal wear marks on it. So from that perspective, I have no problems carrying it. As for losing it, I don't even want to think about it. And if I ever get to wanting a newer looking one, I'll send it in for a refurbish.

Unlike the UK, at least I don't have to worry about confiscation. :mad: Of course NY just took a big step into the wrong direction. There's no telling if any others will try and follow.
Dan (dsmegst)

dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

flipe8 wrote:Only time will tell if your initial impressions remain the same, but I can tell I experienced the very same impressions about 4 years ago when I got my first small Regular Sebenza. I was like, "So this is it?...", but 4 years later, that understated quality is what I judge other knives against now. I went from a high of about 30 Spydies at one time down to two currently since getting a Sebenza. It just does a great job being a good, no-nonsense pocketknife. Hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't have reduced my Spydie collection to what it is now, but I don't ever see myself not having a CRK knife.
I hope that's going to be the case for myself. Initial impressions are not always correct and I know enough to give this a fair chance. The inlays help to dress it up so that it's not too plain.
Dan (dsmegst)

bh49

Post by bh49 »

flipe8 wrote:Only time will tell if your initial impressions remain the same, but I can tell I experienced the very same impressions about 4 years ago when I got my first small Regular Sebenza. I was like, "So this is it?...", but 4 years later, that understated quality is what I judge other knives against now. I went from a high of about 30 Spydies at one time down to two currently since getting a Sebenza. It just does a great job being a good, no-nonsense pocketknife. Hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't have reduced my Spydie collection to what it is now, but I don't ever see myself not having a CRK knife.
I never owned any CRK, but was I was able to handle couple Sebenzas at knife show and wasn't impressed.
I EDC my Persian for four years, it is used every day, dropped on several occasions (once on concrete floor), sharpened and still great knife. I wouldn't trade it for Sebenza.
Unfortunately, I never handle Mnandy.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I like the Chris Reeve Sebenza for what it is... simple, efficient, effective, and easy to maintain. Mr. Reeve has made the Sebenza "no nonsense" for years because he meant the knife to be used, not look pretty. If you want "pretty" and flash, look elsewhere.

At least when I look at, handle, and use a Sebenza, it is very clear to me that Chris Reeve thought of everything when it came to making this knife. I can hold it in any grip and the handle fits nicely in my hand and is comfortable. I would describe it as a "one handle fits all" design.

And, yes, a Sebenza is expensive. There's a lot of extra hand work that goes into the knife to make sure it does what it supposed to do each and every time. I would also say that a Sebenza was built and designed to potentially be the only knife you'd ever need. If you wear out the blade, damage the finish, or a break a component during use, the knife can be sent back to Chris to be fully refurbished and returned to you good as new for several more years of use. To me, the Sebenza was designed to get used, repaired, used, and repaired again just to get used some more. The Sebenza's simplicity and robustness of design lends itself well to such a process.

Think of the Sebenza as you wish. To me, the Sebenza's design and construction are ingenious and perpetual. The Sebenza is definitely worth every penny.
Ski

Post by Ski »

Water Bug wrote:I like the Chris Reeve Sebenza for what it is... simple, efficient, effective, and easy to maintain. Mr. Reeve has made the Sebenza "no nonsense" for years because he meant the knife to be used, not look pretty. If you want "pretty" and flash, look elsewhere.

At least when I look at, handle, and use a Sebenza, it is very clear to me that Chris Reeve thought of everything when it came to making this knife. I can hold it in any grip and the handle fits nicely in my hand and is comfortable. I would describe it as a "one handle fits all" design.

And, yes, a Sebenza is expensive. There's a lot of extra hand work that goes into the knife to make sure it does what it supposed to do each and every time. I would also say that a Sebenza was built and designed to potentially be the only knife you'de ever need. If you wear out the blade, damage the finish, or a break a component during use, the knife can be sent back to Chris to be fully refurbished and returned to you good as new for several more years of use. To me, the Sebenza was designed to get used, repaired, used, and repaired again just to get used some more. The Sebenza's simplicity and robustness of design lends itself well to such a process.

Think of the Sebenza as you wish. To me, the Sebenza's design and construction are ingenious and perpetual. The Sebenza is definitely worth every penny.
The all perks and no quirks of the Sebenza makes it a very boring knife for knife nuts.

In many ways, by creating a perfect knife, they made an imperfect one. To me, it has no character, no charm. It's just a **** fine knife..and it ends there.
Ted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I actually don't have a Spyderco right now, I recently sold all my remaining ones to try out a Sebenza. It really isn't anything special, mine didn't even open very smooth (I got a Large Regular Sebenza for those wondering). It is however a nice user knife, it's light, very solid, has a nice big handle and after breaking in it is very smooth. It feels more like a fixed blade then any other blade I've owned, and I like the fact that if I wreck it I can send it in to be fixed up again. Really the only thing I dislike about it is the S30V doesn't hold an edge nearly as well as Spyderco's, seems similar to VG-10 for hardness and edge holding.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Perhaps that's it. No quirky personality makes for no character. It's strange that something that is imminently competent ironically lacks the soul. Being spoiled on Spydies that're full of character and quirks had me looking for something that's not there.

Also being a used knife, it lacked the most important quality a knife needs. The edge was very dull and was in need of sharpening.
Dan (dsmegst)

flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I find the Sebenza IS plain, unassuming, mundane, even "boring" and that is a huge part of the appeal to me. You've got a knife that a maker has poured his soul into and has stood the test of time for over two decades with relatively minor improvements over that time. I love the fact that just quietly goes about being the yardstick by which other knives are measured. I find a huge amount of the knife's character comes from its lack of frills and that it's just a tool.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Ski

Post by Ski »

Ben Stein seems to be the voice in my head while reading about Sebenzas.

However, I completely understand and agree with you flipe8.
Ted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MCM

Post by MCM »

To each his own.....

I have an older BG-42 Lg user that I would not trade for anything.
And still compare it to everything. ;)

Cant think of too many that match its soul... :D
Its a simple masterpiece IMO.
A machined marvel, with a killer blade/grind.
Sharp as heck, and stays sharp.
Not flashy, or even very noticeable.
Just a prefect mid sized folder.

Only have one, as that's all I need.
Funny as I need 100 Spyderco's, BM's & MT's.
Kinda says something. Just not sure what. LOL LOL
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

I love my CRK's. My Mnandi, Large Unique and small unique Sebenza and also my Umnumzaan. I'm sorry but nothing touches them except my XM-18.
Two words describes the Sebenza: Quality and Timeless.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

The Sebenza never did it for me. I appreciated the quality but never made the connection that said it was something I had to own. Had a Mnandi for a while and loved it. Got an Umnumzaan last year and love that too. Its style appeals to me more than the Seb, more aggressive.

Over the long haul, the Seb and Mnandi you got may not be your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that, though I do understand the feeling of laying out a good bit of money and having certain expectations not quite met upon receipt of a knife. There is sometimes a sense of I paid $XXX for this so it should be everything I want it to be. Happily, there are so many choices in the knife world. There's something out there for everyone. One other benefit to CRK's quality and reputation is that there's always a resale market if you ever choose to move them out.

One other thing - if you ever have the chance to watch the DVD put out a few years back about CRK I highly recommend it. Anyone who's interested in knives should check it out.
~ Nate