I Got My Holy Grail of folders!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

I Got My Holy Grail of folders!!!

Post by raven »

Hi All, Just want to share a bit of good fortune with you while I was at the Blade Show.

I've never mentioned it, but I've been after a Rick Hinderer XM-18 for quite a while. Finding them is a rarity ...not impossible, but a rarity with second market price.

While at Blade and helping out my Brazilian Buddy Gus of GTC Knives, I went walking about and came across the Hinderer booth and noticed they were having a lottery to buy one of his knives that Friday at 4:00pm. I said what the heck and grabbed one of the last 3 cards of a deck. BTW, the lottery goes by picking one half of a playing card from a deck or two (in this case two seperate decks, blue and red) ...grab a card, rip it in a half, keep one half, and put the other in a basket to hopefully be drawn.

Anyway, I continue to walk about and made it back to the booth to a CROWD of people. Just to see how desperate some folks get for his folders ...Rick announced that a T-Shirt would be auctioned off and the winner would get the T-Shirt plus a pick of any of his knives that he had displaying. Well, the winning bid for T-Shirt went for $1200 :eek: !!! Rick started picking numbers from the basket and just as I was thinking to myself "I Don't Have A Chance" and about ready to walk off , when ...."Blue 7 of Spades" fills the air. I look at my half of the card and raised my hand ..."Blue 7 of Spades right here" :D :D :D !!!

I walked over to the display case and and nabbed this little beauty ...

Happy little camper here to finally... FINALLY get a folder that's been evading me for so long :p . Just thought I'd share ... Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Nice man. Hinderer is on my wish list. Congrats on getting your grail.

Canis

ETA: I saw the $1200 bid winner on BladeForums. His post said it was a hat and a custom XM-24 with CF scales, and the only anodized one. Here's a link, post #6.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=746469
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Bro! That is one sick score!!! I too love the XM-18's and hope to one day own one. What a great story on how you got yours too :)

Thanks for sharing man, congrats big time on an amazing folder!!!!
Vic
Stony

Post by Stony »

Great story man. I love the 3 inch XM's perfect size for edc. Congrats.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it couldnt happen to a nicer guy Gil, i don't know anything about those knives but i am happy for you. good things happen to good people, enjoy the knife. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Congrats, my brother! Sorry I missed you man! :(
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Hey bud you know since your a first responder you can order a folder straight from Rick. I think you would have gotten it in a few weeks or so. :)

Congrats on a fine knife.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

When I first saw an XM-18 I thought it looked cool and kind of industrial but maybe a bit clunky. The more I see them, the more I want one. Congrats, enjoy your new knife!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Gil, I can feel your excitement from the post, and I'm happy for you!
Rick's knives certainly are top-shelf, and I'm glad you finally scored one!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Rick makes some really sweet knives. Congrats on your win!
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Gil, thanks for the great story and for the pic. Congratulations on your fine knife, enjoy it and may it serve you well :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Congratulations. Those are really amazing knives.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hey great score Gil!!!...Enjoy that little baby...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Wow! You remember to buy a lotto ticket that day too? Your luck was sure ON that day!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Ric is one of the "good" guys. I liked him and the quality of work that he was producing 15 years ago. The cool part is that he is the same personably guy guy that he was when we first met. He was making many types of knives then and has a wide aray of experience. He is an innovator that makes "best of knowledge knives", from experience.

"You chose well my son", ...Take Care...Ed
raven

Post by raven »

Hey All, THANK YOU for all the Kind Words and compliments on the Grail Knife ;) . I love this little Beast of a knife :D !!!

Mr. Schempp, Thank You for the confirmation of grabbing a good knife ...Says and Means A lot coming from you Sir ;) .

Monkeywrangler, Come to think of it ... Nope, didn't pay the lotto ticket any mind ... to busy fondling and drooling over my score :D :p :D !!!

Take Good Care All, Be Safe Always, and Again, Thank You All Very Much!!!

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Congrats! Be sure to use it hard, you'll appreciate it even more. :cool:
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

2cha

Post by 2cha »

Congrats!!!!! How wonderful that it was a knife you wanted!! And--by all accounts a great knife.

I won a strider fixed blade as a door prize at EECKS a few years ago. It wasn't for me. I gave it to a kid who is shipping off to Afghanistan this fall.
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

I just bought the same exact knife. I wasn't expecting it to be that much smaller than my XM-18 3.5" model. I mean the 3" is just flat out cute.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Congratulations, I think Rick makes the best high-end EDC folder, bar none.
Now your buddy Gustavo is nothing short of a genius, I have one of his G-Forces and I am waiting for one of his new Integral folders I have on order with him.