reasonable precautions for a California earthquake

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Toad310 wrote:Looters will be a problem. The Cop's we can deal with.

There ways to deal with both.
I wasn't saying don't have a firearm/s. I do. Just know the law. :)
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

quattrokid73 wrote:Hahaha funny. However, if I wanted to boil water for pasta or couscous, I would!
Dude,

I was just giving you a hard time...living in SF.

Actually, my Mom used to live there, and was around for the 89 quake.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Toad310 wrote:Dude,

I was just giving you a hard time...living in SF.

Actually, my Mom used to live there, and was around for the 89 quake.
No worries Toad. Didn't take it that way. My old roommates Dad was here during the 89 and said it was nuts.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

trash bags. lots. both large and small.

hand wipes & sanitizer

cash. The banks & teller networks will be down for a while. Always keep emergency money around.

Don't let the car get below half tank. 3/4ths is better. After the last big hurricane here we had gas lines a week after everything else was back up and running normally

You can't have too many extra batteries ( AAA, AA, D) There's no such thing as too much

Get a converter to charge cell phones from 12 volt ( car type), one for charging from AA batteries ( about 6$ with all standard plugs), and even a hand crank generator cell phone charger. These and batteries are the kinds of things the whole neighborhood lined up for after about 3 or 4 days. A solar charger and rechargeable batteries are always nice too. You can even get a solar set up for running your laptop if that's your thing. A good idea also is to get a portable car jumper battery. The better ones even have 12 volt outlets, and built in inverters with 110V, typically 3-400 amps so you can get a lot of different uses out of them besides jumping a car.

Utilities ( gas and water) cut off wrenches

Always have your "pioneer " tools , even in the car. An axe, a shovel, a wrecking bar, and a pick. Full size is better, but small ones are better than none. I also include steel wire, duct tape, and bolt cutters, and extra heavy tin foil. plus, a large tarp for home repairs or other uses. .

Obviously all the stuff I listed isn't practical for a BOB. this is more designed for surviving disasters at home or living out of a vehicle.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
JD Spydo

Don't forget the New Madrid Fault: Probably the Worst

Post by JD Spydo »

Great thread, great discussion.. But I certainly wouldn't limit earthquake awareness or earthquake preparedness to sunny California and the notorious San Andreas Fault. Oh it's a bad one all right but the worst earthquake fault in the entire North American shelf is right in my back yard. The New Madrid Fault is probably North America's most horrible secret.

Check out the New Madrid Fault here in Southeast Missouri ( pronounced Misery :D ) Many geologists and Seismologists with hesitation admit that the New Madrid Fault is potentially one of the worst on the planet. The last time it went haywire it caused the Mississippi River to run backwards for 3 days and it literally rang church bells in Boston Massachusettes :eek: And considering that it is located in the Southeast Corner of Missouri in the Mississippi River valley is quite alarming and astounding when you think about it.

Also a great website for general knowledge on earthquake potential throughout the North American continent and even preparedness issues related to earthquakes is Stan & Holly Deyo's website http://www.standeyo.com. Holly's book entitled "Dare To Prepare" is in my opinion the best preparedness book of it's type available. Stan is one of the most knowledgable scientists in that area known. He's been on "Coast To Coast AM" several times.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Or hurricanes on the east coast, or blizzards in the northeast, or...pick your poison?
cr123

excuse to get a bicycle

Post by cr123 »

hey:

good thread on preparedness threads.

i was thinking of getting a bicycle and a trailer for it to haul stuff around in case there is a gas shortage. pretty flat around here.

i did buy some peanut butter for long term food storage. i definitely need more food. i'm planning for at least a two week bug in.