Spring Ahead???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Spring Ahead???

Post by The Deacon »

So who else was surprised to find Daylight Savings Time started today? And am I the only one who thinks this is "a bit" early for it to begin? Cripes, spring is still a week away. We're down to 4.5 months of standard time, almost seems pointless to switch back and forth anymore.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I hear you. I ran around this morning changing clocks all over the house yet I'm too lazy to ever change the clock in the Jeep. If I wasn't in charge of keeping up with the time for 15 employee's I would never know what time it is.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That explains why my computer said my watch was an hour slow this morning. I've always thought that switching back and forth was pointless. If there were any valid reason for DST, the reason would be just as valid in the winter as the summer. Set the clocks and leave them alone.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

The time clock at work is a nightmare to reset. I get stuck with that duty all the time because I'm the only one that "knows" how to do it. In reality, nobody could know how to do it. I have to closely follow the instructions every time. It's stupid. You have to go back thru all the settings... Everything has to be gone thru. Anyhoo, it sets for the old DST settings automatically. So it has to be re-configured FOUR times per year. What a collosal waste of time.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

we switch to summer time here on 03/28 at 2 am.

makes sense, it snowed last Friday. :rolleyes:
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

skatenut wrote:we switch to summer time here on 03/28 at 2 am.

makes sense, it snowed last Friday. :rolleyes:
+1 haha. It makes the time difference between here and my family only 5 hours for a few weeks though which is nice.

I think DST is annoying too, especially since they keep changing when it happens... so anything set to automatically adjust for DST will inevitably be wrong.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:So who else was surprised to find Daylight Savings Time started today? And am I the only one who thinks this is "a bit" early for it to begin? Cripes, spring is still a week away. We're down to 4.5 months of standard time, almost seems pointless to switch back and forth anymore.
I would prefer going back to the earlier dates...but I am getting to becoming a fossil anyway...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

It's been on the news for the past few days now so can't miss it. Doesn't mean I like it thou, there are more saving time per year now than regular time, ridiculous.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

yablanowitz wrote: I've always thought that switching back and forth was pointless. If there were any valid reason for DST, the reason would be just as valid in the winter as the summer. Set the clocks and leave them alone.
Indeed. If the point is to "save" daylight, it would seem having it in the winter, when light is in short supply would be worth as much or more than "saving" it in the summer. After all, the majority of the populations aren't farmers and thus aren't tied to the weather for their livelihood.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

just move to saskatchewan... we don't change our clocks, ever.

so much easier :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

vampyrewolf wrote:just move to saskatchewan... we don't change our clocks, ever.

so much easier :p
Thanks, but I'd faster move to Arizona. They don't change theirs either, and the climate's warmer. :D
Paul
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

The Deacon wrote:Thanks, but I'd faster move to Arizona. They don't change theirs either, and the climate's warmer. :D
Yeah, here in AZ it doesn't bother me one bit, and it was 75 degrees when the Mrs. and I did yard work yesterday.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

The Deacon wrote:Thanks, but I'd faster move to Arizona. They don't change theirs either, and the climate's warmer. :D
What? it's 8-9c right now. Sitting with an open window about 6' away watching my sister's dogs get all muddy for when she gets back from shopping :p

Supposed to snow again before by bday, but that should be the end of it for a few months (after seeing snow in august '02, I'm not saying it's not going to do it again).

look at it this way, you don't have to cut the grass from october to april ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

vampyrewolf wrote:What? it's 8-9c right now. Sitting with an open window about 6' away watching my sister's dogs get all muddy for when she gets back from shopping :p

Supposed to snow again before by bday, but that should be the end of it for a few months (after seeing snow in august '02, I'm not saying it's not going to do it again).

look at it this way, you don't have to cut the grass from october to april ;)
It's that here too Patrick, if I'm going to the trouble of moving, I want warmer weather. I'd prefer a place where there's no snow, or where it's only an occasionaly annoyance at worst. And, since I type slow enough as it is, I'd definitely prefer a place where I don't need to add a "u" to words like color and flavor. :p :D
Paul
oregon

Post by oregon »

Spring-like over on the left coast. Already mowed the lawn and burned up the tree limbs. Goin after some mushroom compost soil for the garden next week.

The atomic clock (Xmas gift) in my office springs ahead and falls back without my help and runs on one AA battery: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... SKU=120241
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

The Deacon wrote:So who else was surprised to find Daylight Savings Time started today? And am I the only one who thinks this is "a bit" early for it to begin? Cripes, spring is still a week away. We're down to 4.5 months of standard time, almost seems pointless to switch back and forth anymore.
The day we "spring forward" is my least favorite day of the year. By the time I get used to the time change, it's time to switch again.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Resurrecting this thread to remind those who may have forgotten that tonight's the night to get one hour less sleep.
Paul
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Thanks for the reminder.

I get up at 05:30 so 04:3:(

I wish they would pick one and stick with it.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I was a bit caught off guard as well...l'm currently late for work because I saw no mention of it on the news yesterday. :rolleyes:
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

You guys must be living on the wrong side of the Equator.....its on its way to winter dammit :p

You guys can do what the rest of the world does...drop daylight savings?
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/