My Bladeforums isnt working...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I wish I made 50 Grand a year.
The small percentage here that make huge money most likely screws those numbers a good bit.
Average for this part of the country is around 18K,I make around 26K so I guess I should be happy.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Bladeforums is down? what a shock :p

I quit going there LONG ago, seems it was down every couple weeks. I poked back and Spark had removed search from the free accounts (no grandfather clause for the old members? ).

As pointed out, google works for searches, and I can make my main laptop tell any site that it's a google web crawler... which tends to open it up. Can also tell it that it's an iphone (v1-3), kindle, router, and I think I have another search engine web crawler signature on there too.

join us over on jerzeedevil, it's free.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

My guess is any site that has as many free members and as many years worth of history will have reliability issues from time to time.

In this case we don't know if it is a reliability issue or just an unannounced scheduled maintenance.

=====

To our upset foreign friend. I'm sorry your country issues such a huge import tax on foreign products. I suppose we could send our military over and change your laws, but our President just won a Peace Prize so you will have to wait awhile. Until that happens, I guess you'll just have endure the free membership to Bladeforums that is paid for by a bunch of ethnocentric Americans.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
cziv

Post by cziv »

It sounds like a server crash to me.
+1 on that, they have big slowdowns during peak US times evening and night. I've been waiting for the servers to melt down - darnnit I need my BF "fix" for the day.
It's like the whole " CONUS only", i see in the "for sale" section.
I know bladeforums is based in the US, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the world are dumn peasants or lousy criminals, trying to steal knives, money and bandwith from the United States.
Or that a person who doesn't happens to live in the good old US of A is not entitled to an opinion.
I think it would be a good idea to teach American kids that the whole world does not revolve around the US, but around the sun.
And maybe they could start teaching them proper English for starters.
And that saying "buy a gun" on every post about the defensive use of a knife might be an option for the 350.000.000 living in the US, but not for the rest of the world.
It's like someone from Sudan or China answering "buy a slave", on every question, because the local laws seem lenient toward owning a slave, but not a gun....
The rest of the 6.500.000.000 other people on this world could have an opinion as well that might be as valuable as the people who live in the US.
The US is at #13 on the list of developed countries, not #1. They are the 4 the largest country after Russia, Canada and China.
This doesn't mean i am against anyone from the US, just as i am not against anyone from Ghana, or someone from Nauru.
Sorry if i sound agitated or abbrasive, but this whole ethnocentricity in the knife community fixated on the US ticks me off!
Stop crying and move over here. You can buy your knives cheaper too!

The USA rocks and other countires hate that about us. You should love us. We don't see your sorry butts in all of the combat areas where we fight for other's liberty in. We had to come over and kick Hitler and his bums out of Europe for you in WWII but do we get a "thank you?" No we get this crybaby stuff! ;)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

@ all heros and other protesters: Do you think it's possible to calm down? Leave shiny footprints ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

If you don't like it so much don't go there. Why come here and whine about it? To be honest you're english and spelling aren't that great either. You sound like you have a chip on you're shoulder. What country are you from that you feel the right to talk down on Americans while being a guest on the forums they created and worked for? If you and other people from Europe are so fragile and upset over that(membership charge and member's conduct) maybe you guys can create your own forum to talk about your feelings,false beliefs and how the world isn't fair. Then maybe our sites won't crash because of the whiny free loaders overloading the system, if that's what happened. I don't know because I don't go there but you're post is a huge insult and stereotype and I don't appreciate it. If you bothered researching the subject of higher costs to people that aren't in the US you would find the reason but you would rather whine and justify your freeloading.
Jim Malone wrote:I know, but for Europeans the price is 20$. This is the thing that ticks me off. I don't know why i should pay double the money to get a gold membership because i am located on another continent?
Should there be a price difference based on etnicity?
Oh you are from Europe so you have to pay double!
It's like the whole " CONUS only", i see in the "for sale" section.
I know bladeforums is based in the US, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the world are dumn peasants or lousy criminals, trying to steal knives, money and bandwith from the United States.
Or that a person who doesn't happens to live in the good old US of A is not entitled to an opinion.
I think it would be a good idea to teach American kids that the whole world does not revolve around the US, but around the sun.
And maybe they could start teaching them proper English for starters.
And that saying "buy a gun" on every post about the defensive use of a knife might be an option for the 350.000.000 living in the US, but not for the rest of the world.
It's like someone from Sudan or China answering "buy a slave", on every question, because the local laws seem lenient toward owning a slave, but not a gun....
The rest of the 6.500.000.000 other people on this world could have an opinion as well that might be as valuable as the people who live in the US.
The US is at #13 on the list of developed countries, not #1. They are the 4 the largest country after Russia, Canada and China.
This doesn't mean i am against anyone from the US, just as i am not against anyone from Ghana, or someone from Nauru.
Sorry if i sound agitated or abbrasive, but this whole ethnocentricity in the knife community fixated on the US ticks me off!
The mean income in the US is almost 50000 $ while the mean income is $35000 in Belgium and 32000$ in France. A :spyder: Endura costs 59$ in the USA or 42 €. The SAME knife in my local knifestore costs 95€ or 130$ ! Yes a Spyderco is 3 times as expensive in Europe, and we earn only 60% of income compared to the USA
That is why people from Europe get frustrated when they see someone from the USA complaining about the fact that :spyder: knives are expensive, or because they have to pay double for bladeforums.

end of rant.
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

My paid membership over at BladeForums just expired a week or so ago, and I decided not to renew it @ this time so I thought maybe they cut off my access to the site. Oh well, BF was one of several sites I visit on a daily basis so it looks like now I will get 15 minutes per day of my life back :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
cziv

Post by cziv »

I clicked your banana to see your spydies and was looking them over an think "this guy is not a true Spyderco collector," then I saw it in the pile - the "Captain"....a tip of the hat to you Jay_Ev, you've got your bases covered! :D

Hey, pay your dues at BF so Sparks can buy better servers and hopefully make everyone pay at least $10 and double for Europeans! ;)
Aimless

Post by Aimless »

And I just coughed up another $ 10 to use search. Should just use :site:
knarfeng

Post by knarfeng »

I've been buying gold memberships for the last couple of years, not because I want the search function, but because I figure TANSTAAFL. I spend enough time there that if I didn't kick something in, I'd be a freeloader. Never cared to be one of those.

BF is still down. I have to wonder if it isn't an equipment failure rather than software. They might have to order, get, and install, new hardware to get it, you should pardon the expression, up.
ASHTXSNIPER

Post by ASHTXSNIPER »

Posted to add subscription. Need my BF fix.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

anyone know if the guys that run it frequent these forums...maybe they can give us some info?
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
cziv

Post by cziv »

anyone know if the guys that run it frequent these forums...maybe they can give us some info?
Don't know about that. GlockTalk has a long thread on it being down. I ran into one of the BF Mods there and he didn't have any inside scoop. He sounded as bummed out as the rest of us did.

I hate to post about another forum here, this is where I come to learn about Spydercos in particular, but BF is well HUGE in it's scope. I've been a member there for many years and there isn't one darn thing about any knife that you can't find out about. Spyderco is recommended over Benchmade and sometimes it's the opposite, depending on the poster's question, budget and needs. :)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

If you think this side of the knife world is interesting... pop over to the straightrazorplace forums. Those folks are rabid over 3-4 manufacturers (of the dozen or so "good ones", and just as spiteful over 3-4 of the dozen or so "bad ones".

There are just as many ppl over there that are extremely helpful, already seen a couple trolls in the 3 weeks I've been over there, and the user base is just as spread out world wide.

The funny thing is that if you don't mind cleaning it up, you can get one from the dozen "good brands" for ~$20 on ebay. And yet the next item down is one of the "bad ones" for the same price. I'm watching 14 ebay auctions right now, though 2 of em I'm tempted to hit the buy it now to try the product out. The difference between a chip in the blade or a cracked handle (~$20-30 worth of work) can be a difference of 150 on the auction. Just watched a couple go through in the 200+ range, yet the same type went for 40-50 last week with a chipped blade.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

vampyrewolf wrote: Just watched a couple go through in the 200+ range, yet the same type went for 40-50 last week with a chipped blade.
Thanks G-d I have only one addiction( :spyder :) :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

The dreaded Denial-of-Service attack?
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tholiver

Post by tholiver »

Bladeforums has been down for a long time now!
Lately i only bother to look there once or twice a week.
I used to be a BF junkie, probably at least an hour there every day but then a few weeks back Spark did an "oops" and accidentally deleted everybody's thread subscription list.
I've been at BF since 2003 and had a thread subscription list that was over 5000 strong!
To say i was a little p*ssed would be the understatement of the year.
With the subscription list suddenly gone, there are no email notification of new posts to those threads therefore my visits there went down to almost nothing.
My list was way of keeping threads i though were useful handy (as the search engine is useless).
So because i'm not there much anymore it took me a while to even realize BF was down, must be close to a week now?

Anyway regarding useful threads remember if you want to keep track of a thread at any forum don't rely solely on forum software, favorite your threads to a favorites folder in your browser!
Hopefully BF will be back up soon but this long downtime makes me think something is up.I especially miss the wilderness forum there.
Mostly the time i spent there has been transferred to Facebook, but its just not the same.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

cziv wrote:+1 on that, they have big slowdowns during peak US times evening and night. I've been waiting for the servers to melt down - darnnit I need my BF "fix" for the day.

Stop crying and move over here. You can buy your knives cheaper too!

The USA rocks and other countires hate that about us. You should love us. We don't see your sorry butts in all of the combat areas where we fight for other's liberty in. We had to come over and kick Hitler and his bums out of Europe for you in WWII but do we get a "thank you?" No we get this crybaby stuff! ;)
I actually agree with most of what Jim said, and your post pretty much solidifies it all. The US didn't enter WWII until nearly the end when Pearl Harbour happened, up until that point you guys were reluctant to even help. Canada, Great Britain, Australia and other Commonwealth countries are the ones who were major players in WWII. Of course every American thinks they stepped in and crushed Hitler so we could all be free, and there wasn't another country around anywhere when it happened. I don't blame you guys though, since I don't think any media or education system in the States acknowledges that the rest of the world exists
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I went for a hard run this morning and followed it up with the Crossfit Endurance strength&conditionning easy workout. Had a nice protein shake with strawberries after. Mmmm....nice and thick....might even have a PB&J sandwich after :)
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
tholiver

Post by tholiver »

Re- WWII.
The 5 Most Widely Believed WWII Facts
http://www.cracked.com/article_18389_th ... lshit.html

Despite the fast and loose tone of this article most of the facts are correct.
:)