My Bladeforums isnt working...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spyderHS08

My Bladeforums isnt working...

Post by spyderHS08 »

Hey guys,
is Anyone else having this problem? Its been doing it all day, I cant access that site. Ive been on different sites today as well so idk why its just that site thats not working, I just recently cleared all my history, cookies, forms and data and passwords, but I dont think that should effect it..? It wont even come up for me to try to log in. any suggestions?

thanks!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

spyderHS08 wrote:Hey guys,
is Anyone else having this problem? Its been doing it all day, I cant access that site. Ive been on different sites today as well so idk why its just that site thats not working..any suggestions?

thanks
+1 was just going to make a post asking the same.
Come Join Us Click Here
bh49

Post by bh49 »

You are not alone. The same here. Hopefully, it is not for long
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think it was mentioned that there would be forum maintenance/improvement around this time and that it would be down for a while. Hopefully it'll be back up in a day or two.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Ok its all good then just makin sure I wasnt the only one! :D

thanks
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
amar

Post by amar »

Same here -- from India cannot access bladeforums for sometime now. Hopefully this maint thing gets over quick, for I have a pending purchase of a Cat! :-)

-Amarendra
ble102

Post by ble102 »

Same problem here.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Hopefully they are doing the big upgrade that was postponed a while back.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
bchan

Post by bchan »

Same here.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

J Smith wrote:Hopefully they are doing the big upgrade that was postponed a while back.
That's got to be what it is.
Steve
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Yep, still down for me as well.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hope it's the upgrade, but the fact that we just get a "problem loading page" error makes me wonder. Normally on a scheduled outage, you connect to the URL and get a site specific notification page. Plus, I could swear that sometime in the last few days I looked to see if there was a thread yet announcing the upgrade had been rescheduled.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JBE

Post by JBE »

It's been down for me as well...

I remember a sticky saying that the upgrade had been postponed but don't recall seeing any notification that it had been re-scheduled for this weekend. :confused:
Jason
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Still down.
I hope that if it's an update they will reinstall the search function.
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The scheduled downtime was cancelled due to the tech people not being able to get their act together. There was no announcement that it had been rescheduled. The last announcement I saw was the one saying thread subscriptions had been accidentally deleted. It sounds like a server crash to me.

You could get search function privileges for $0.03 per day ($10 per year Basic membership). That's pretty cheap for an ad-free site, especially considering the sheer volume of information available.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
STR

Post by STR »

I thought the scheduled down time for maintenance was cancelled. Seems I saw an announcement at the top of the page on my forum every time I opened it up. The site has been experiencing some hiccups off and on for a while now and at times it was quite slow and I was having error pages come up trying to access my forum or others there. Then suddenly it worked again. Now it appears its gone down completely. The servers Kevin has been using have all had trouble keeping up as of the last year or so if not longer than this. Hopefully it is some kind of maintenance and you guys are right but it could be that the server just crashed because it can't handle the load bladeforums brings to the table as they promised. We'll just have to see I guess.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I know, but for Europeans the price is 20$. This is the thing that ticks me off. I don't know why i should pay double the money to get a gold membership because i am located on another continent?
Should there be a price difference based on etnicity?
Oh you are from Europe so you have to pay double!
It's like the whole " CONUS only", i see in the "for sale" section.
I know bladeforums is based in the US, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the world are dumn peasants or lousy criminals, trying to steal knives, money and bandwith from the United States.
Or that a person who doesn't happens to live in the good old US of A is not entitled to an opinion.
I think it would be a good idea to teach American kids that the whole world does not revolve around the US, but around the sun.
And maybe they could start teaching them proper English for starters.
And that saying "buy a gun" on every post about the defensive use of a knife might be an option for the 350.000.000 living in the US, but not for the rest of the world.
It's like someone from Sudan or China answering "buy a slave", on every question, because the local laws seem lenient toward owning a slave, but not a gun....
The rest of the 6.500.000.000 other people on this world could have an opinion as well that might be as valuable as the people who live in the US.
The US is at #13 on the list of developed countries, not #1. They are the 4 the largest country after Russia, Canada and China.
This doesn't mean i am against anyone from the US, just as i am not against anyone from Ghana, or someone from Nauru.
Sorry if i sound agitated or abbrasive, but this whole ethnocentricity in the knife community fixated on the US ticks me off!
The mean income in the US is almost 50000 $ while the mean income is $35000 in Belgium and 32000$ in France. A :spyder: Endura costs 59$ in the USA or 42 €. The SAME knife in my local knifestore costs 95€ or 130$ ! Yes a Spyderco is 3 times as expensive in Europe, and we earn only 60% of income compared to the USA
That is why people from Europe get frustrated when they see someone from the USA complaining about the fact that :spyder: knives are expensive, or because they have to pay double for bladeforums.

end of rant.
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
knarfeng

Post by knarfeng »

I notice that britishblades is down also.

That seems weird that both are down. At least I get a notice of "database error" from BB. I get zip from BF. If it were scheduled maintenance I would expect a notice page rather than no response at all.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That's interesting, Jim. I agree that our communication skills are sadly lacking for the most part, and our younger generation being addicted to cell phones and text messaging isn't helping a bit.

As for the mean income here being $50,000 annually, maybe it is. If so, it's kind of depressing since I make a little over half that. In fact, I personally fall below your stated mean income for France. I guess that's why I have so few Spyderco knives.

I'm sorry that US made knives are so expensive over there, but shipping across an ocean can't be done for free. As far as I know, the US doesn't charge any export fee, but I suppose your governments might charge some import tariff that has something to do with what you pay for our products. I'm not sure what we are supposed to do about that.

CONUS only shipping? I have only sent a few packages overseas, but it has been a pain in the neck each time, and the postage cost has been higher than the value of the items sent each time. Quite frankly, I can't fault anyone for not wanting to deal with international shipping either direction.

Since you have no location listed, I did not realize that you would fall under the international rates for a Bladeforums.com paid membership. But while you are simmering over the injustice of having to pay $20 for a basic membership, you might consider that I have been paying $50 for Platinum membership just to help support the site, even though I could get by just as well as a registered user. For that matter, Google search using site: Bladeforums.com works better than the built-in search engine ever has for me.

Yes, the "buy a gun" response is annoying, but that is our cultural heritage. That heritage has come in pretty handy for Europe at least once. The fact that our solution is not available everywhere is not our fault. People get really bent out of shape when we try to effect changes in the laws of other countries.

Of course, you can always establish a new forum and show us poor dumb Americans how it should be done.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Hey Jim, I don't think this is the place to complain about how you perceive U.S. citizens views on knives. This thread was about BF being down. If you have a problem of them charging you double, it doesn't make any sense to me either but there might be a reason for it :confused: , you should take it up with administration over there, not here. One thing that i love about the U.S. is if you don't like something you don't have to do "it", better yet, you can make "it" better and more toward your way of thinking. If BF is so discriminatory toward you then get some other people together that feel the same way and start your own knife forum and you can restrict anyone with a U.S. IP address. :) Have a good day.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D