New Toy!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

New Toy!!!

Post by raven »

Here's where my time has been spent the last couple of weeks ...putting this little gem together :) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
SNIPER RIFLE 002.jpg
SNIPER RIFLE 002.jpg (71.46 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Oh, yes, very, very nice! There's just something about a good bolt-action rifle that's downright appealing. Thanks for sharing the picture!
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Beautiful! Calibre and details please.............. ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

buglerbilly wrote:Beautiful! Calibre and details please.............. ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
Yes! .223, or maybe .308?
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
2cha

Post by 2cha »

To heck with rifle info, tell me about that beautiful glass?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The toy looks great. How far this can be effective?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Looks like it'd be capable of touching things out to 1km away ?!
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Rem. 700 LTR with Bushnell Elite 6500 glass?

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Barrel looks too long for an LTR, but I agree with the guess of Rem700. I looks like a short action, so if it isn't a 5.56, I'm betting on .308.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
raven

Post by raven »

DMgangl wrote:Rem. 700 LTR with Bushnell Elite 6500 glass?

DM
DM hit it right on the nose ;) .

Remington 700 LTR .308 w/fluted 20" barrel
Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical (2.5-16x42)
Burris XTR 30mm low rings
Tac Ops 2-Piece w/22 MOA
Harris Bipod 6"-9" (fixed)
Tac Ops Stock Pack (left handed)

Not pictured: Uncle Mike's Mil Spec Sling Swivels and a TIS Sling.

As for range ... that depends on the ammo. I'll be using Federal Gold Match 168gr HPBT. The .308 is affective out to 800 yards per some ballistics, but there have been shots made up to 1000 and 1200 yards. Again, this depends on the ammo used. Also, there has been a lot of debate on muzzle velocity with a shorter barrel. In exchange some believe that the shorter barrel is more accurate, because there is less flex than with a longer barrel.

There has been documentation from a sniper school that have been known to cut a barrel down to 18" and make consistent 1000 yard shots. They believe that has nothing to do with the length of the barrel, but with the use of proper ammo. I'll know once I start putting rounds down the pipe :D .

Take Good Care and Be Safe Always. Thanks for the Kind Words ;) .

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Congrats!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Congrats is right! That things a beaute!
Vic
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

Sweet.
Are you gonna take it to the range soon?
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
raven

Post by raven »

asfaltpiloot wrote:Sweet.
Are you gonna take it to the range soon?
Yeah, Hopefully soon ... waiting to see what the weather does. I need to sight in this rifle along with my AR-15. I'm hoping tomorrow??? Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-

DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

If you load your own ammo, a very good round to try would be the 155gr. Lapua Scenar JHP.

DM
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

That's a great looking toy you got there ;)
War is mostly waiting.
raven

Post by raven »

Thanks for the kind words everyone ;) . I put a lot of time and research into putting it together. I still have a few things I still need to do to it ... like bedding the stock and have the trigger adjusted so it breaks consistently. That's later on in the future.

Hey DM, Unfortunately I don't load my own ammo, but I have heard some good things about the 155gr Lapua Scenar JHP rounds. Not sure I'd be any good at reloads ... I have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time much less reloading. I'd end up just blowing myself up or something off ... I just finished rehabing the hand :eek: :D . Maybe later on down the line, but now ...meh, I like my body parts where they are :p . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always. BTW, Here's another pic ...

-raven-
Attachments
SNIPER RIFLE 005.jpg
SNIPER RIFLE 005.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 4023 times

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Freakin' sweet, Gil!! I'm diggin' that rig!

I've had superb results with Federal Hollow Point Boat-Tail Match (BTHP) ammo, 168 grain. When I saw a sniper, that was our issued round, and I've also used it personally for years. It's performed so well that I've never sought out another round. Half-inch groups are normal.

Of late, though, my local shop has had some Prvi Partisan Match ammo that's quite a bit less expensive than the Federal, and I've been tempted to try some. I realize you usually get what you pay for, though, so I expect less out of it.

Gil, you did a nice job setting that rifle up. The LTR is the shiznit, too, I would love to have one some day! I wish we lived together so we could go shoot.

When I get a bit more time, I can post up some shooting drills that will get you ready for school if you'd like. These drills made me a WAY better shooter than I was before practicing them.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I can't load better than the Federal GCM. I'd be really interested to hear how the PP match ammo shoots, but I would guess you're right about getting what you pay for. When I got into reloading almost 40 years ago it was easy to beat factory ammo on quality and price. Now, depending on what you want, it's hard to do either. I load only hard to find cartridges or wierd loads as a general rule.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I know the feeling, I was a little nervous when I first started reloading my own ammo.

That is a very nice stick and I am very jealous being that I don't have a Bolt action, or a place to shoot one right now. Enjoy it, and I wish you sub MOA groups.

DM