Wrist Watch Decision

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Wrist Watch Decision

Post by raven »

Hey All, I know there are some here that are "Watch Nuts". I've been trying to decide between two watches.

The Luminox Black Ops 8401
The Seiko SKA427

Both are water resistant to 200 Meters, Metal Case, Scratch Resistant Mineral Glass.

The Differences are that the Luminox has the Tritium Markers, while the Seiko has the luminous markers. Luminox has a battery and the Seiko is "kinetic".

I have 2 Seikos and like them a lot along with my G-Shocks, but I keep hearing about the Luminox Watches, but don't have any experience with them and just curious if it would be worth getting. I know on answer will be "Get Both". I just want one between the two. Here's a pic of each. Please give me your thoughts and comments. Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always. Thanks For Listening ;)

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
8401_1.jpg
8401_1.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
SKA427P2.jpg
SKA427P2.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
vaa

Post by vaa »

I don't have any experience with Luminox as a brand. Out of the two you have pictures of, I like the look of the Luminox better but I like the fact that the Seiko is automatic. I have a Seiko Monster and have been very happy with it. It's my everyday watch. Good luck with your decision.
________
Weed
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I got my invicta just before xmas, and I probably wear it 3/4 of the time... but this makes 5 watches in rotation :p

The only issues I'm finding with an automatic are 1: it has to be worn or shaken daily to keep it ticking, The invicta has a 12hr standby. 2: accuracy. Non-chronometer certified watches can be out 30sec a day (I was getting about 15-20sec).

Given your activity levels, I'd say the luminox might hold up better, relying on a quartz rather than fine tuned mechanical movement. Don't know how an automatic will handle a good crash ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Another vote for the Luminox. You just can't beat Tritium. :)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
merthyrmafia

Get the Luminox

Post by merthyrmafia »

raven wrote:Hey All, I know there are some here that are "Watch Nuts". I've been trying to decide between two watches.

The Luminox Black Ops 8401
The Seiko SKA427

Both are water resistant to 200 Meters, Metal Case, Scratch Resistant Mineral Glass.

The Differences are that the Luminox has the Tritium Markers, while the Seiko has the luminous markers. Luminox has a battery and the Seiko is "kinetic".

I have 2 Seikos and like them a lot along with my G-Shocks, but I keep hearing about the Luminox Watches, but don't have any experience with them and just curious if it would be worth getting. I know on answer will be "Get Both". I just want one between the two. Here's a pic of each. Please give me your thoughts and comments. Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always. Thanks For Listening ;)

-raven-
I have owned both Sieko and Citzen Watches, would choose a Citizen over a Sieko, but I have also owned a Traser which is the same watch and movement as a Luminox. In my personal opinion this is by far the finest watch for it's price iv'e ever owned, would choose this over a Sieko or a Citizen anyday.
Burchtree

Post by Burchtree »

I own a few of each brand and I haven't had a problem with either. Some say that Luminox customer service is bad, but I've never had to deal with it before. My everyday wear (in the shop where things get broken!) is a Luminox and it has given me good service for the last 5 years.

Post by 224477 »

Get the SEIKO, I like the looks better :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the Tritium on my Traser, but it is mostly blue and white. Luminox seems to use tasteless tritium colors.

I paid around $300 for my Traser and I think it is completely worth the money. It is an automatic, though. I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way if it was a quartz watch.

The first Seiko (Auto Relay) I bought has issues with holding a charge. My manager at work has sent his Seiko Kinetic back for service three times in the 12 years he's had it. Kinetic isn't as reliable as you might think.
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

I'm biased 'cos I love Seiko automatics. So get the Seiko :D
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have a Luminox coming some time this week - I won it in a contest, and am pretty excited to get it. Mine looks like the one in your pic, Raven, except that it has an orange face.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I have Citizen automatic and Seiko Kinetics as well as a few others. I love my Seiko 200m dive watch (I got the rubber strap rather than the metal ones though cos it's hardier when my kids try to destroy my watch !). No problems with my Seiko :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Tank

Post by Tank »

Id go with the luminox. I like the look and the tritium. Plus you already have a couple Seikos so why not try something new.
-John
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Go with luminox, they are some of the toughest watches for the money and you cant beat the tritium. I replaced my first luminox after 10 years of use with another. I suggest the 8802 anniversary model

-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

I have both makes and am happy with both makes.

My day-to-day EDC is a Seiko Red Monster BUT I'm also happy to use the Luminox I have. I keep the Luminox, my second, as my bedside companion as I can read the Tritium marks easier than anything else no matter how dark it is.........the coloured faces do NOT, of course, shine in the dark so no worries in tacical situation that your watch is going to shine like a beacon.

Both makes have their pluses and cons but you can't really go wrong with either...........

Regards,

BRIAN
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Gents, Thanks for all of the input ... leaning a bit toward the Luminox.

Those of you that have the Luminox ...How's the durability/shock resistance???

The reason I ask ...Well, our bro VW said it best "Will It Take A Good Crash" :D ??? Thanks for listening, Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

if you didn't spend your time running into fences and breaking your own bones on the track, I wouldn't have had to point out the crash survival :p

I wear a gshock for anything that'll get a chance of any impact.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

raven

Post by raven »

vampyrewolf wrote:if you didn't spend your time running into fences and breaking your own bones on the track, I wouldn't have had to point out the crash survival :p

I wear a gshock for anything that'll get a chance of any impact.
CRASH Resistance has to be one of the specs on the watch ...Oh and yeah smashing into fence resistance :D .

Oh C'mon VW, don't take my fun away ...Everybody needs a hobby. Even if it's SIDS (Self Inflicted Damage Syndrome) :D !!!

BTW, I was wearing a G-Shock the night I ripped my hand opened/smashed into a fence. WOW did that watch take a beating that night :eek: :rolleyes: . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-

2cha

Post by 2cha »

The seiko IS NOT an automatic, but is rather a kinetic quartz which means that your movement charges a capacitor, kinda like a battery. The advantage of the kinetic quartz over automatic is that you get quartz accuracy. The disadvantage in this case is that you aren't getting a tank--even the non japan seiko automatic movements are awesome. Before I'd buy either one of these watches, I'd try to calculate the service costs for long term ownership. With the Luminox, you're gonna have to change the battery or throw it out sometime in the next 3-7 years (battery says 5 years probably, but who knows)--that being said, if you plan to use the watch in the water, especially salt water, you're going to need to replace the seals within that time frame anyway, so no big deal. I don't know about service requirements or cost for the seiko kinetics--but I'd sure compare before buying. Seiko has great factory service--I think they have a service center in new jersey, but it's not cheap.

I'll never buy another battery operated watch again ever. I actually hand winds. Price point is generally going to be significantly higher.
Donut

Post by Donut »

People say you need to send an automatic back for "service" every few years.

Getting a battery changed is usually pretty cheap.