BM 710/Mili

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
thebestnoobcake

BM 710/Mili

Post by thebestnoobcake »

Oh no..
Just after dropping a bit of cash on some other knives, a 710 has popped to my attention.

Please convince me to wait for a Military instead of spending some more on a 710.

I think it looks nice and I am quite partial to the axis lock and the squarish look.
However.. the recurve spoils it
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
MCM

Post by MCM »

Get both. :)

I have 'em in M2, M4 & 154cm.
nice little knife!
Would post pic's, but not sure if cross pollination is allowed.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

if you really wanted to be convinced not to buy the Benchmade, you wouldn't have posted this in the Off-Topic forum. ;)

i agree with MCM. get both. i own a few versions of the 710 as well. the current D2 710 is a great user. don't let the recurve scare you. it is very subtle and, thanks to the Sharpmaker, easy to sharpen.

... and if you do get both you can post a review and compare the two. the Military always wins, by the way.
thebestnoobcake

gee guys.. not helping -_-

well... seeing as you both have more than one each =p
i don't mind paying shipping to australia of course
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I honestly think every knife affi should own at least one Axis knife, and I think the leading candidate is still the 710, which was the original. Other strong candidates are the 950, 940 and 8xx, as well as the 707, but the 710 was first.
thebestnoobcake

Yeah I got a mini-grip (556) and a normal one (553) and I guess I want to get the original (and best looking IMHO)

-THG
dialex

Post by dialex »

A friend of mine also started with a 710 and ended with 8 or 10 Millies... and still counting ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Get the military because the 710 is just... ugly.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I have owned a bunch of 710's I see one and think maybe this time I will like it, its a great knife but I have sold off every single one I have owned including 3 of the cpm-m4 versions. I dont like how the thumbstud sits so close to the handle and also the recurve in such a small blade kill it for me.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

They're so completely different, that you'll want to try both. The Military is big and light, has great ergos, and has a great slicing blade, etc. etc. The 710 has a 4 inch blade that's packed into a handle that's not much longer. Much shorter handle than the military, and it has what I'd say is a thicker tip. Also a great knife, but in a smaller package.
huugh

Post by huugh »

thebestnoobcake wrote:Oh no..
Just after dropping a bit of cash on some other knives, a 710 has popped to my attention.

Please convince me to wait for a Military instead of spending some more on a 710.

I think it looks nice and I am quite partial to the axis lock and the squarish look.
However.. the recurve spoils it
Exactly!
Military is great (especially without a clip :) ), and you don't have to worry about it being a liner lock - Military's lock is as good as you can find.
And what I especially like, unlike other knives, using G10 or CF on its handles has a reason! :)
JLS

Post by JLS »

A little over 10 years ago, when I was just getting into collecting knives, I got a 710 and a Military in the same deal for $100 together. At that time, I sold the Military within a month and carried the 710 for the better part of a year.

The 710 is a very nice knife. The blade shape is fantastic, I do really like the Axis lock and it is a pretty good knife for IWB due to its slim profile closed (though it is a bit thick). The recurve blade not only gives it a nice look, it can really help on cutting. It's not that extreme of a recurve either. I sharpened my 710 on a DMT Aligner set-up when I had one. What I don't like about it is the handle. It has very little figure to it to lock onto for harder cutting. The Military handle may look goofy, but it locks into multiple grips very securely. My only other gripe is the tip-up clip, but that's just a personal thing.

In short, the 710 is one of the best looking knives ever, in my opinion. It just doesn't feel as good as a Military in use for me.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Manix Guy 2

Not Me !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

If you want to compare the 805 TSEK is the real deal with the Military as far as I am concerned . The 805 has much better in hand ergos similar to the Mili . The stone wash blade is also pleasing to the eye . Regards MG2
thebestnoobcake

Hmm... the 805 DOES look nicer than the 710.. but it is a tad large, and the 710 has some sort of magical knife collecting allure

-THG
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

If it is a user, get the Millie. If it is a shelf queen, the 710 is excellent. ;)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Get both. If you don't like the 710, I could always use another.

:)
EarthDog
Psychopomp

Post by Psychopomp »

Get the 710, it's a great knife that'll give you years of great use.

My former EDC 710 (January 2006-September 2009) and my current EDC Paramilitary.

Great knife.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

check out this thread from another forum.
http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=28943.0
side by side photos and etc.