The Knife as a Weapon

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kuolema

The Knife as a Weapon

Post by Kuolema »

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

The recent events here regarding knife laws got me thinking, is the knife a viable defence tool? Now, first off, let me state I don't mean the individual. Obviously the Mind is the best weapon you own, and it's very likely most people couldn't bring themselves to harm another with a knife.

Moving on, as a Spydieholic, I have always generally carried some blade with me; for EDC tasks, never with the intent of using it in self-defence. Lately I've been wondering, though, if I had a Spydie, and the situation arose, would I use it? I wouldn't. I'd rather get stabbed. That seems like a pretty stupid statement, but there's more to it than doing away with the attacker. There's going to be a whirlwind of courtdates and inquiries into why you had a knife, and why you used it. And you could actually end up doing time.

There's a lot of guys on this forum who are Wizards with Knives in tactical situations (combat, etc, whatever you prefer to call it), Mr. Janich (hopefully spelled correctly) is clearly knowledgeable in this area and one such individual. Obviously these are mostly individuals who train/or are LEOs, Military Personnel, and the like. But there has to be some people who carry a knife with the intent that should they need to defend themselves they could.

What is your opinion on the matter? Assuming you were competent enough to use a knife in a SD manner, would you defend yourself with it? Granted this is a very loaded question, but it's been picking at my brain all day.

Ultimately, if in a dire SD circumstance, I believe I would.

ADDITIONALLY if there's any LEOs out there, what's the general rule on this?
may it not be tricksy
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Given the right circumstances I would use anything I could get my hands on to defend myself or my family from a deadly attack. I'm not going to let some wannabe gangbanger stab me to death because I'm worried about legal repercussions, better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. The only dedicated SD knife I've owned was a Emerson CQC-7 with the Wave, it was a decent EDC knife too, but a LEO would have a field day if he caught me with it. So I got rid of it. I now carry either a Military or Para-Military and I will soon have a Todd Begg custom Kiridashi as well. None of those knives are strictly SD knives and I don't carry a knife for SD. If I were attacked on the way to work or back the attacker would likely get stabbed with my Zebra 701 pen as I can draw and hit with it far faster then my knife.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

Be prepared and fight as hard as you can. Or you can call 911 and wait for the cops to come and take pictures of your dead body.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Im LE so I will chime in as best as I can.

I have an over two decade history with self-defence/martial arts and feel I have a better martial prowess than the average joe. Am I the best, certainly not, not by a long run.

As you can imagine Ive been put into scenarios mostly at work where I have had to defend myself using violence.

My education and knowledge of MBC is limited to only myself and my abilities.
The recent events here regarding knife laws got me thinking, is the knife a viable defence tool? Now, first off, let me state I don't mean the individual. Obviously the Mind is the best weapon you own, and it's very likely most people couldn't bring themselves to harm another with a knife.
The knife is a tool. Always was always will be. I think it became defensive as a second, as a weapon of opportunity per se way back when in history.

When the situation dictates you would be surprised at what a single person can do when faced with a life or death scenario and what they can bring themselves to do when called upon to do so.

Then again there are those who will give into the fear and cower or for whatever reason are unable to react and take actions, whatever cation that may be for the scenario at the time.
and the situation arose, would I use it? I wouldn't. I'd rather get stabbed. That seems like a pretty stupid statement, but there's more to it than doing away with the attacker. There's going to be a whirlwind of courtdates and inquiries into why you had a knife, and why you used it. And you could actually end up doing time.
You are ofcourse subject to your own opinion, however you have just lost. You do not hold the right attitude with this train of thought.

We are going witht he "What IF" theme here, and if that is your answer, merely to give up, then you are no good to yourself or to your family who expect you to fight and win no matter the cost or what you have to do to achieve this.

I have been involved in a few calls and investigations where similar things have occurred, and the victim used an edged weapon to defend one's self and hurt the attacker.

Not one comes to mind where an arrest of the victim or persecution of the victim was made.

Sure, no doubt there will be questions, there will be long drawn out court dates for whatever reason, but is that not the same with the varying States where there are gun carry laws?

Guns are not tools per se. There are made for the sole purpose of the destruction of a human or animal.

I understand the trepidation of carrying for self-defence, but if that is not your first reason for EDC, and you ultimately do not use the EDC to prevent your death or disfigurement, that is up to you.

We can go into the "Warrior" aspect that each person might have inside of them, but if it's not in you, it just isn't.
But there has to be some people who carry a knife with the intent that should they need to defend themselves they could.
Personal time, I collect and carry Spyderco because I think they are beautiful knives, and the culture behind the company and it's followers is also what attracts me.

I carry an EDC first and foremost as a tool for whatever reason may arise. I always have ever since I got my first pocket folder as a Cub/Scout and learned the responsibility of a knive and it's careful use.

Second, because of my line of work, I do from time to time see or bump into dirt bags I have arrested or have issues with. I would not hesitate to defend myself with my EDC if a scenario came about.

Sometimes just the mere presence of an EDC, properly weilded, is enough to de-escalate the scenario.

If you look the part and present an image of readiness, this is one of the levels of our Canadian Use of Force Continuum. Just the mere presence.

At work I also carry for specific reasons.

One knife is a tool, specific for whatever reason. Usually worn on my duty belt.

A second knife is a hybrid tool/self defence set-up.

A third knife is purely for self defence should my pistol be attacked or a grab at it, or I cannot get to my pistol because I am protecting it.

Whatever way I twist or turn, I can get to something.

But I guess that is me, not you or everyone else.

If you are carrying for EDC purposes of using the knife as a tool, you are fine as is anyone else who does so ( proivding they are not a convicted criminal with conditions not to posses a knife).

I have come into contact with many people over the years, some I have had to frisk or street search for whatever reason, and they have had an EDC as a tool. I have no issue with it and when things were finished, the EDC was returned. I have seen many a nice knife in this circumstance and have had some really good chats with the public because of it.

I have also come across so-called EDC knives that people carry that are no doubt made for either self-defence-offence and are made for the expressed purpose of harming/killing another person.

These are the knives that I have an issue with because of the mentality that comes with them.

Like you said, this is a loaded question and there are many answers that can be provided.

It's up to you to decide on what you feel is the right decision for you and how you go about it.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

golddot370 wrote:Be prepared and fight as hard as you can. Or you can call 911 and wait for the cops to come and take pictures of your dead body.
+1

You can be killed with a rusted old single blade folder just as easy as a $500 custom blade.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In a court of law to my understanding a defense tool like Fox Labs OC spray is considered a notch more humane than a physical altercation. Eg: If warning someone not to come any closer then spraying should put you in less trouble than if you hit them physically. It also gives a 10-12 foot advantage (at the very least) for a nice spray and bail technique against multiple people.

I have the Fox spray in my coat pocket. I can walk around with it in hand or with my hand in my coat pocket legally. I would rather it be the first thing I grab for because the results (both physically and legally) are less permanent. That said, I have a sizable "EDC" knife at all times.

It's a tough call really. Using a blade for defense takes a certain mindset even over using physical skills like boxing or martial arts. I would fan a crowd with pepper spray without thinking twice and then take off running. If cornered and my life was at risk the use of "deadly force" makes sense.

Fighting multiple attackers requires evening the odds. For those people who train in "multiple attack" situations is great however most doesn't take into account what happens when someone gets a lucky blow on you and the kicking begins. People die on the ground so I'll hire a good therapist and a fantastic lawyer after the fact and play the better odds.

Avoidance and fleeing should be number 1. Most animals choose it unless cornered and we can learn from them. :) If walking with my wife and I felt we were in risk the knife is coming out and I wouldn't think twice.

For those who are big fans of the "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" check out the Tueller Drill. Bladed weapons are terrifying in a child's hand let alone an agitated adult.
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

Well, to be perfectly honest, I would use my knife, but I can't openly admit that; around these parts that makes you a psychopath.

I guess in the end, my biggest question is when does it become okay to use that kind of force?

My base knowledge of SD laws are that you can only respond with as much force as the attacker levies upon you. That true? If someone broke into my house, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a knife, or a good old wood Bat and defend my property, but I've heard of stories where people have done that and been charged because the intruder didn't use the same amount of force.

In earnest, my most valuable possession is my life (as I believe it should be with all people) and I will defend that to the death, which is just human nature.

I'm way out of my league here, I realize, I've done about three years of Tae Kwon Do, and boxed a bit, but I'm in a strange land here.

But thus far, your responses have really eased my mind. I always thought I was being immature when I thought about using my EDC as a last resort.

I do, however, practise my survival skills routinely and the number one thing to remember in a survival situation is: Without the Will to survive, surivival is not possible anywhere.

I suppose that applies here, just don't give up.
may it not be tricksy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thank you for the insight FIMS. It's much appreciated.

As mentioned a knife is a tool first and foremost. A good Spyderco opens envelopes better than a pistol and easier to justify having on you in most cases. If it lends to resourceful defense so be it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Self defense is not in my top 100 reasons for carrying a knife. I've been carrying one or more knives for over 45 years without once needing to use one for a weapon. If I ever do need to use one in that manner, I'll probably die, because it would mean I had a total lapse in situational awareness severe and prolonged enough to let the situation arise, and the odds of me overcoming that in time to save myself with a knife are virtually nil. On the other hand, you'd have to duct tape both my hands to the top of my head to keep me from being able to reach a knife any time I'm dressed. ;)

As for the matching levels of force, let's just say that they leave their rights at the door when they come into my house. Cross that threshold and it is my word against their dead body.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Knives are a very, very last ditch tool for self-defense, for a variety of reasons.

Some of the points made hereare worth meditating on.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

20 years of carrying knives as tools, I view everything else as a weapon.

*I carry 4 pens normally (2 zebra f301, 1 cross, 1 fisher), though I'll toss a couple bics or other cheap (under $2) pens in my breast pocket of whatever jacket I've got on.
*pocket full of change (distraction)
*flashlight (impact and distraction)
*multitool (impact or fist load)
*30" titanium chain on my neck (1/4" 18 gauge I think) as either a fist load (wrapped) or impact (whipped and whirled).
*and when I go walking I carry a 26" baton (working on my 3rd so far)

Had an "emergency tuning fork" (1 finger duster based on force multiplication) made this last year, either in my rear pocket with the change or in the front pocket with my wallet.

I've made quite an impact ( :p ) with my baton, as well as my flashlight slamming down into someone, as far as discouraging someone from fighting with me. When I make my road trip this summer I'm taking my lil temp, baton and 6P.

Awareness goes a long way into evening the odds out. I've gone back into the bar the next day to pay my bill a couple times, simply because I'd rather avoid a fight and give the bar a bigger tip. I'll just tell the bouncer to hold someone for a couple minutes so I can get in my truck. I prefer not to fight, simply because I don't think and blank out... never know how far I'm going to take it in that state. I've had a number of unarmed sparring matches end up with the other guy in a choke-hold with me either behind or on top of them and someone pulling me off.
I've had my *** handed to me a few times, so I make no claims about being an expert.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:Knives are a very, very last ditch tool for self-defense, for a variety of reasons.

Some of the points made hereare worth meditating on.
Marc "The Animal" MacYoung?

He's great at posing cheeky philosophy without giving people real answers. I think being a "naysayer" is fun but rarely helpful.

Agreed: it's a big bad place out there. don't look for fights or think your bulletproof. better yet, don't ever be there. period. It ain't the movies.

Disagreed: everything else relating to surviving or martial arts. What if you are attacked? I can't find an answer to this anywhere on his site or in his few videos.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Blerv wrote:Marc "The Animal" MacYoung?
have to get the actual quote from the one book if you want, but two things he said stand true...

1. don't worry about the guy being flashy with a 6-8" bowie, worry about the guy sitting there bored out of his mind at the laundromat drawing and replacing a 4" without looking or feeling for the sheath.

2. if you don't know your knife as well as your manhood, don't think about fighting with it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd prefer not to use my knives just in case they want them as evidence. Life isn't always pretty so yeah i have no problem using my knives for what they were intended for. Knives were made to cut and stab and they do it well. I do see a knife as a tool first though. Then again i usually see most tools as weapons first. Most people think differently than me though and see my tools as weapons.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Kuolema, very insightful remark about the mind being the best weapon. In my experience, knives are used as weapons by drunks in brawls and drug addict muggers--any "pro" mugger will have a gun--give him your money and your watch and move on with your life. Stay out of bars where people get wasted and start fights, and you'll more likely than not never need to pull your knife. If the junkie mugger pulls a knife on you, throw your cash one way, and run the other. On the other hand, if I was in the extraordinarily unlikely situation where I was physically attacked and had the time and presence of mind to pull my EDC--I rotate between sm. strider, sm. seb., mini grip, manix 2 and rarely p'kal or leafstorm--I'd absolutely use it, wouldn't hesitate for one second, and worry about legal repercussions later. Keep in mind, that if you are the "innocent" party, neither the officers nor especially the prosecutors are going to be bending over backwards to charge you. BTW, before I'd pull a knife, I'd: yell loudly, run, pick up a brick, piece of furniture or even a laptop, before I'd reach for my knife. If someone is scary enough that I'd need to pull a knife, a 3 inch blade--or even a 5 inch blade is unlikely to slow them down too quickly--not a lot of stopping power in any knife that is even remotely legal to carry in almost all states.
Where you could get into legal trouble is in the bar scenario, or where you flash a knife to "de-escalate" a situation. Where there are barroom or bar parking-lot fights, and somebody gets hurt, it is my impression that the cops and prosecutors are going to arrest and charge just about everyone they can. When I was a regular drinker, I didn't carry a knife--too likely that this second scenario could erupt--if you pull the knife with the intent to scare someone (when not personally and reasonably in fear of death or serious bodily injury and you didn't start the altercation), you've committed a felonious assault, and also put yourself in the position of being an aggressor, essentially giving the other (if initially unarmed) party the right to use force to defend himself--say, with a gun--or a bat, brick or 2x4--all of which will trump your knife unless you are extraordinarily well trained--and which the other party is legally entitled to use. So my 2 cents on de-escalation through blade flashing is 1) can get you hurt or dead and 2) land you in prison--just not worth it.
JaM

Post by JaM »

You cant carry ODC (or whatever it's called) legally over here unless LEO, so that rules out a lot. Same with a gun.

That being said, IF I need to defend my family I'd use anything, absolutly anything to come out on top.
And I do carry a knife, as a tool. I'm not sure if, when the SHTF, I can remember using it/opening it, but it could be.
I'd rather have to explain myself in court to a judge, than to no one in particular because I'm not there anymore.

Also: money can be replaced, and a bruised ego/pride because "I walked away from a fight" is easier to heal than stitches (if only).

My advise to the OP: pick up a physical sport (where you have to push and shove other human beings, boxing or judo) and see what works for you.
Getting thrown on the floor in a controlled environment and in a controlled matter (most of the time :p ) could be an eye-opener on how to use your body and weight.
It also makes sure you get better stamina and more awareness and a feel of your own body.
If you know what you CAN, and what you CANNOT, it makes a **** of a difference.

Hope this helps.

JaM
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

:)

Well a long time ago I watched a show on Discovery Channel called 10 Top Weapons of All Time, and there was the sword, etc. Number 2 was the AK-47, and number one was: a Humanbeing.

Because all weapons have one common element: the operator. I think Ill look at getting Back into boxing ( or with any luck Muai Thai), because after reading your posts, it's clear to me now. FIMs, your input was great! It's great to get insight from a professional.

I might stir the pot once more though:

if you observe someone being attacked, etc, what do you do? What I found to be very effective, is to shout, hold up a cellphone telling that you are phoning the police. Of course this might not work against hardcore gang members, but it worked when I saw a bunch of teenagers pummeling some poor kid.
may it not be tricksy
john row

Post by john row »

I might get some flak but here goes:

First off - I DO distinguish between animals and men.

Let me me ask a question:

If you were attacked by a dog, a bear, whatever, would you hesitate to use a knife if you had one and it was the best weapon you had to defend yourself?

I wouldn't hesitate. I would use it as best as I knew how and the best I was able to in the circumstance. And you're right, your ability to avoid situations of danger IS your best defense.

I'm disabled. Can't run, can't out muscle anymore. I would use the best, the most available thing in a situation. My fist, fingernails, a rock, a stick,...

You get my thought on the matter.

John
Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I have no illusions on how I will handle a defensive encounter with a knife. I never thought to use a knife in this manner and my choices in EDC (sub 3-inch blade lightweight folders) reflects that. I'm fortunate enough that I have far better choices for personal protection.

There are some compromises I had to make due to my wife's views on guns and the fact that we have a young child in the house. But even at home, the knife would be a last resort and I would have had to F up really bad if that was my only choice.

My knives are tools first and a weapon last. My golf clubs would make for a better weapon if things came to that. I have no training in hand to hand combat and any type of knife fighting. I'd be lucky if I didn't get stabbed with my own knife. :rolleyes: Perhaps I should give more thoughts on the "Ifs" and mentally think things through though.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Excellent thread!

Being totally untrained in martial arts and SD with or without a knife, I still carry an E4 SE or an E4 PE W when riding an expensive looking bycicle in summer. Using a knife in any SD situation, providing I survived at all, would get me into all kinds of legal trouble in Germany, SD not being recognized as a "good reason" for carrying a one hand lock-back folder. Guess I'll change to german-legal fixed blades like a Street Beat, a Ronin or anything else under 120 mm blade length in the future, makes sense. I fully realize carrying a knife for SD without training is a dangerous illusion, it's not a magic wand, waving it at the bad guy may not help at all, quite the opposite.

On walks, I carry a defensive OC spray, which may be only used on animals. I shall of course faithfully follow that limitation :D , I would never dream of using it on human beings, admit to being deathly afraid of dogs.

I really do look forward to moving to Austria, where there is no restrictive knife legislation yet, hope it stays that way!

my .02