still trust toyota?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rosconey

still trust toyota?

Post by rosconey »

2 time yoda owner-wont be a 3rd

6-8 years of knowledge of the throttle control issues and now start to worry-not kool

90's trucks had frame rott issues so they gave you a deal on a new one,now they have the same rott issue-so do you buy a 3rd pos?

when i get in my new scion xb i wonder if they are hidding saftey issues with it -

too bad they didnt handle these issues the way they should have-instead they take a page out of the gmc and ford play books on how not to handle safety issues-the fastest way to make customers distrust your company

wanted a tacoma or fj cruiser-ill be looking at toyotas again when **** freeze's over-
MCM

Post by MCM »

still trust toyota?

Yes, Still more than any other.......
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am not real worried when I get into my xB.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Do I trust Toyota? Absolutely. Ive always preferred Mazda's and Honda's designs, but I have no qualms about buying most any Japanese car.

I've never heard of anyone having those kinds of problems with Toyota... sucks that you had some bad experiences.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ive-recall
Gas pedals sticking prompts decision; company also says Venza owners should remove Toyota-brand drivers’-side all-weather floor mats

NEW YORK, N.Y.—Toyota said Thursday it is recalling more than 2.3 million vehicles in the United States and Canada to fix accelerator pedals that can become stuck, the latest in a string of quality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker.

The recall affects the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

The latest move comes just months after Toyota Motor Corp. recalled 4.2 million vehicles over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration.

That problem was blamed for several crashes, including an accident in San Diego involving a Lexus that accelerated to more than 190 kilometres before and killing four people.

This time, the recall is due to problems with the actual gas pedal mechanism, causing the accelerator to become stuck regardless of whether the vehicle contains a floor mat.
... bet you that didn't make your local news or web crawling.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's really too bad that people don't learn to drive anymore.

"That problem was blamed for several crashes, including an accident in San Diego involving a Lexus that accelerated to more than 190 kilometres before and killing four people."

Does the Lexus not come equipped with Neutral on the transmission or an ignition switch? If the throttle sticks, turn the engine off and you slow down.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Its sad too see people are dying, but really how about using the brake?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

vampyrewolf wrote:http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ive-recall

... bet you that didn't make your local news or web crawling.
Patrick, that made the papers and the local news here, and I'm sure in many other places as well, this past Thursday. The upsetting part is, from what I've read, Toyota has been aware of the problem with the mats and accelerator for quite a while and chose not only not to fix existing vehicles subject to this problem, but to continue building vehicles with the same parts. Problems can surface with any brand, no amount of testing, no matter how diligent, can reveal every potential flaw and hazard. But to know and do nothing is unconscionable.
yablanowitz wrote:It's really too bad that people don't learn to drive anymore.

"That problem was blamed for several crashes, including an accident in San Diego involving a Lexus that accelerated to more than 190 kilometres before and killing four people."

Does the Lexus not come equipped with Neutral on the transmission or an ignition switch? If the throttle sticks, turn the engine off and you slow down.
I'd strongly suspect that most, if not all, the instances that resulted in serious crashes involved drivers at the two extremes - those with near zero experience and the elderly.

Not to mention that 190KPH/118MPH is a bit hard to believe.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

hi there,

Yes i trust my Toyota Corolla 100%.
It's a fine car.

regards,

Werner
The only good knive is my sharp Spyderco........
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

there is another recall thats not floor mats-
toyota has a drive by wire design,no cables-the new recall is for almost 5 million cars that have faulty pedal sensors-a problem known for 6-8 years

as for turning the car off-the lexus that started it all has a button starter,you have to hold it down for 5 seconds or something to work

now what if you bought a truck,5 years latter the frame is gone and its worthless,so they talk you into another by giving you double tradein(your still losing but have a ride-
now 5 years latter its frame is gone and your right back at the begining with 2 times the money spent-do you spend more for a 3rd? wtf didnt they address the issue?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

rosconey wrote:2 time yoda owner-wont be a 3rd

6-8 years of knowledge of the throttle control issues and now start to worry-not kool

90's trucks had frame rott issues so they gave you a deal on a new one,now they have the same rott issue-so do you buy a 3rd pos?

when i get in my new scion xb i wonder if they are hidding saftey issues with it -

too bad they didnt handle these issues the way they should have-instead they take a page out of the gmc and ford play books on how not to handle safety issues-the fastest way to make customers distrust your company

wanted a tacoma or fj cruiser-ill be looking at toyotas again when **** freeze's over-
...deleted...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I still trust Ford after working there during the "spontanious combustion" recall aka 05s28. It's hard to run a company with more employees than a small country. Do you have an example of a company that does a better job? If you start fixing potential problems before they are proven problems it costs millions of dollars of shareholders money.

Major car manufacturers will always have recalls. Buy what you want but Toyota knows what it's doing. Read a consumer report rather than placing gospel on a particular incident. People blow up 22re's and chev 350s daily and those are tested true. Autos work on a system of dice rolls where the brand, model, maintenance and driver can influence the number if dice rolled. Lady Luck does the rest.

By the way, the brake pedal can ALWAYS overpower the engine. Morons hitting things would do it regardless of a throttle problem.

The only guarantee with cars is depreciation. They are not assets. Toyota is one of the slowest to depreciate so idrather drive one than some other makers.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Got a Matrix '05 automatic for familly
Got a Yarris '10 standard as winter beater.

Ya no problemo with both.
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
JD Spydo

I bet all of the vehicle operators were on cell phones

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:It's really too bad that people don't learn to drive anymore.

Brother Yablanowitz with all due respect you're overlooking something here. Cell phone calls and electronic toys are far more important than operating a vehicle safely :(

With folks being as occupied with such idiotic crap like Cell Phones, TExt messaging, playing with their Blackberrys and a few that I've personally witnessed even reading a damned book while their supposed to be driving>> it's just a GOD's miracle we dont' have many more people die in vehicle accidents than we do already.

I'm sure those Toyotas in question probably did have some manufacturing defects. But it's like YAB said>>> there are at least a dozen safe ways you can slow down a vehicle with that type of a problem. But if people have their heads buried in cell phones and electronic toys it's easy to see why they didn't even have the cognitive awareness to even sense that something was severely wrong :mad:

But they will grasp their cell phones with their dead fingers and blame someone else for their calamity. And I still maintain that cell phone driving is even more dangerous than most drinking and driving episodes are.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Yes, I do still trust Toyota.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
JaM

Post by JaM »

Over here you cant drive and use a cell phone in a car at the same time. You have to use the "freehand" option, wich basically only lets the driver use 2 hands on the wheel, but his head still with the phonecall...

Then again, Ive seen enough people drive faster than they should (within citylimits and within "neighbourhoods", so to speak" with one hand on their phone and one hand on the wheel... I always want to throw my bicycle on the hood of their car, just to see if they even notice it or just keep on driving. It pisses me off, even more now I have a daughter who is almost 2 years old and a second kid on the way :mad:

Toyota is still one of the more durable cars I think.
Then again, I drive a Peugeot 307 nowadays :o so what do I know.

Too much electronics = bad IMHO. Still miss my old Renault 4 from '86.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Luckily for us here in Australia the recall doesn't extend to us. Apparently the parts referred to in the recall of some thousands upon thousands of vehicles are sourced from a different factory for Australian shipped cars.

My family and extended family has had a Corolla of some description for the last 35 yrs or so. Currently I have a Tarago (people mover - may be called something else in other parts of the world) and a new Kluger SUV which is replacing my BMW 3 series (yep - you read right :p . The BMW is a great car and I haven't sold it yet, but it just doesn't seat all my kids.

I still trust Toyota... until I get affected by a recall ! Hope you guys get everything sorted out with any of your vehicles affected by this.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

They just passed a law up here, effective new years day, still a couple weeks of grace period before they start handing out tickets rather than warnings...

If you're talking or texting on your phone and driving erratically or otherwise impeding traffic it's $280 and 4 points. Handfree only.

Of course they'll still nail you for undue care and attention if you're a road hazard playing with the stereo.

Personally, I have to use a wired headset with my phone, or I have to hit the one button for speakerphone.... no bluetooth. My stereo is an am/fm only, though I have a deck with all the bells and whistles if I can get a mounting plate. Power steering and remote start... beyond that I've got power nothing. I figure the fewer electronic systems, the less that can go wrong. There aren't any recalls on my ranger yet, so Ford might have got something right finally.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:Brother Yablanowitz with all due respect you're overlooking something here. Cell phone calls and electronic toys are far more important than operating a vehicle safely :(
That's all part of never having learned to drive. Either park and talk or hang up and drive. If driving doesn't occupy all of your attention, you're doing it wrong.

As for the frames rusting away, I drove a 1994 Toyota pickup for a dozen years and the frame was still fine when the engine crapped out. But then, I avoid moisture and road salt by living in the near-desert.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I love my toyota and fully trust it. Fortunatly its not part of the recall and we have had no issues.
-John