Wonders of Maxpedition...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RJNC

Wonders of Maxpedition...

Post by RJNC »

Is there anything better than Maxpedition for packs? I've been paruseing their website. Truly they are to packs/holders what Spyderco is to knives. any other Maxpedition fans out there.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

I actually really like Deuter packs. I have an old Trans Alpine 30 that has been through everything, and around the world with me, over the past couple years, and it's still practically like new. Tough as ****.

It's this one:
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... &tert=long
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My only experiences with Maxpedition products have been somewhat negative. While I'm sure their gear is extremely durable, the items I've purchased have been extremely stiff and, as a result, uncomfortable.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
hickster

Post by hickster »

I have all the packs/bags I need for now (Korea was a good tour) but Duluth Pack seems more in line with my needs.
hickster
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I'll have to check out Deuter.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I have heard bad things about Maxpedition's ethics, but their packs look good and there's no question about durability.

I like North Face backpacks. A step above the Jansports and Eastpacks in the world, but still relatively affordable. They also seem to last a long time.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

If you're looking at Maxpedition, then I assume you're looking for "tactical" style stuff.

These vendors all make top-of-the-line packs, with a price to match:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/
http://www.kifaru.net/
http://www.eberlestock.com/
http://www.tadgear.com/ (TAD only makes smaller day/3-day packs, not the big expedition size packs the previous three offer.)

But there are lots of other vendors that make tactical style gear. Many of the companies that make shooting gear (e.g., chest rigs) also make some kind of pack, such as Tactical Tailor or Eagle Industries. Even Kelty and Camelbak make mil-spec packs.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

I've used some Maxpedition gear for a few years, and have not had any problems with it.

As Deacon observed, it can be a little stiff initially, but everything I've used has broken in quite nicely. I have a backpack that get frequent use, and it is comfortable by my standards.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I like some of the pouches and pocket stuff but the backpacks are to "tactical" looking for my taste. I have used my trusty North Face backpack for hundreds of miles of hiking as well as my edc and it hasn't let me down yet.
-John
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've written quite a lot about maxpedition's stuff... the durability of their gear... it's ability to perform above and beyond in high-stress situations. my gear has held up to extremely hard use in rural sub-saharan africa as a peace corps volunteer, as well as in the southeast alaskan bush.

just picked up a maxpedition E.D.C. pouch, and i absolutely love it. it's a great way to keep all of the tools i rely on readily available and well organized. i keep them in the EDC, and toss the EDC into whatever bag i'm using that day.

for beat-the-crap-outta-it durability, maxpedition is cream of the crop. yes, the teflon coating eventually wears off and you need to re-treat the gear, yes, it is extremely "tactical" looking (though that's never gotten me into trouble in airport security, even with plenty of travel)... but if you're looking for near abuse-proof bags that keep a variety of gear well organized and readily available, maxpedition is the way to go.

i've only had one "issue" with a maxpedition pack... my vulture II -- my main backpack -- had some of the stitching around one of the zippers come loose. it's only the zipper for the water reservoir pouch -- which i never use -- so it doesn't really change my perception of the bag's usefulness.

the maxpedition stuff is not as comfortable on long hikes as a well balanced pack with an internal frame -- especially on the trying alpine day hikes i'll routinely go on. but i don't think that's what they're made for, really. i'll be getting a nicer gregory or osprey backpack this year, i think...

some of their bigger versipacks can be uncomfortable, with funky balance -- especially when jammed full of gear. if you're planning on carrying lots of stuff, go with something with two straps.

i get a good amount of use out of my colossus (although try not to make it too heavy)... the back pouch is great for concealing both my rock salt, and a canister of bear spray... :D

these bags last for years. the maxpedition stuff i used in zambia was put through some of the worst abuse imaginable.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have a few Maxpedition items, and they've held up superbly for me. Can't say a negative word about it.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I have a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II backpack and a Lunada sling pack.

I love them both. The backpack is awesome for day hikes, school, BOB, airsoft, overnights, etc. It's one main flaw is a lack of internal organization, but my TAD Gear OP1 Admin pouch fits perfectly in the secondary pocket, so i've solved the problem myself.

The Lunada sling pack is full of organization, but lacks size. I use it as a BOE, holding survival essentials along with: a big knife, tear gas spray, 9mm, jacket hollow points....

I took the Lunada home for break, but I think I'll go back to school with the Pygmy Falcon II. The Haiti disaster has me minding the possibility of a major quake in the SF Bay area.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

They do make a lot of cool stuff but there are other options for some items that are just as good or better based on what you're willing to spend. I loved my Jumbo but have moved on from it.
~ Nate