Spyderco Money Clips?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ducktaper

Spyderco Money Clips?

Post by ducktaper »

I wanted to get my brother something for Christmas that I swear I've seen before-a money clip. I did some searching online but didn't find anything.

At some time in my foggy memory, somewhere, probably on some forum, I once saw a really nice silver money clip that had the Spyderco Spyder cut out of the upper "show" half. I don't remember if it was a custom piece that someone made for themselves or if it is commercial. Would any of you folks have seen the same thing or have any info on something similar?
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

You do know Christmas is behind us now?
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

He "wanted" to get his brother a money clip.

Back on topic... I think a money clip would be really cool.

I also think little things like bottle openers, key fobs and the etc would be a great addition to the spyderco accessory lineup.
Come Join Us Click Here
Donut

Post by Donut »

About a month ago I was looking to replace my money clip with the right sized Spyderco. I was having a hard time coming up with a use for my Spin, and tried using that, but it was too small.

I searched for spyderco money clip on google, and came up with a lot of results for the Cricket. I looked at the clip, I checked the dimensions and thought it would work.

Now I have one and think it is the right size. It has been working well, I've been using it for about 5 days now. The only thing I don't like is the diagonal section of the clip, I might have to take it off and bend it more square.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I've also heard of the discontinued Spydercard being used as one.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

cosmo7809 wrote:He "wanted" to get his brother a money clip.

Back on topic... I think a money clip would be really cool.

I also think little things like bottle openers, key fobs and the etc would be a great addition to the spyderco accessory lineup.
I knew I had to be missing something.
Rob

Post by Rob »

sarguy wrote:I've also heard of the discontinued Spydercard being used as one.
Would be difficult, as this model had no clip :D

I think most people who want to use a Spyderco as a money clip indeed decide on the Cricket. Personally, I am not too fond of money clips as the bills always seem to look crumpled but if I had to choose a model, I would also opt for the Cricket as the size seems just right.

Cheers, Rob
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

I don't need a money clip...everything fits fine inside my wallet

ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

LOL Clawhammer ! But thems not Aussie currency ?

I have used the Kopa as well as a Boker CLB Subcom to hold business cards and money on occasion.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
oregon

Post by oregon »

Clawhammer wrote:I don't need a money clip...everything fits fine inside my wallet

Looks more like a snake that swallowed a rat. :eek:

I use a Spin:

oregon
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Oregon, Quick, there's some guy with a camera outside your window!!! :D
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

[quote="ozspyder"]LOL Clawhammer ! But thems not Aussie currency ?QUOTE]

Well spotted Dan, that's George Costanza's Wallet... Seeing as we (Aussies and Europeans) now get change in large denomination coins, a money clip isn't that practical!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't believe Spyderco ever offered one for sale, or authorized anyone else to do so. Might have been a promotional item for trade shows like the various lapel pins, a distributor/dealer incentive, or an employee incentive like the gold :spyder: tie tacks and dino bone Executives. If not, it was either custom made by or for a Spyderco enthusiast or yet another creation from the labs of Dr. FrankenSpyder.

OTOH, if Spyderco ever decides to offer a money clip, I'll get one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

Thanks Paul. It probably was a custom piece. I know Golden hasn't produced one but I was hoping someone here might have seen the one I did, somewhere. Maybe one of the artists on this forum that are always embellishing/customizing factory Spydies, the guys who just can't stand something that isn't unique, can do up a limited run out of their shop. I've witnessed some outstanding artistry created here.
Since I and most others do realize that Christmas 2009 is behind us I have some time. If I find what I'm looking for I'm going to pick up several; there's some upcoming birthdays, and most of my family have already been well outfitted in pocket cutlery by me!
The ideas about using a Cricket or Spin are valid, except I don't want a bladed clip, just a simple one for the cash and more along the lines of silver pocket jewelry.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Donut wrote:About a month ago I was looking to replace my money clip with the right sized Spyderco. I was having a hard time coming up with a use for my Spin, and tried using that, but it was too small.
I have to respectfully disagree that Spin is too small. Its been my money clip for over a year and I find it perfect. Its smaller than the bills and really thin. I think the issue is that you have too much money to carry around!!! :D :D :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ducktaper wrote:Thanks Paul. It probably was a custom piece. I know Golden hasn't produced one but I was hoping someone here might have seen the one I did, somewhere. Maybe one of the artists on this forum that are always embellishing/customizing factory Spydies, the guys who just can't stand something that isn't unique, can do up a limited run out of their shop. I've witnessed some outstanding artistry created here.
Since I and most others do realize that Christmas 2009 is behind us I have some time. If I find what I'm looking for I'm going to pick up several; there's some upcoming birthdays, and most of my family have already been well outfitted in pocket cutlery by me!
The ideas about using a Cricket or Spin are valid, except I don't want a bladed clip, just a simple one for the cash and more along the lines of silver pocket jewelry.
Problem with that is, that unless authorized by Spyderco, the ethics and legality of putting their trademark logo on something for resale is, at best dubious.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

cosmo7809 wrote: I also think little things like bottle openers, key fobs and the etc would be a great addition to the spyderco accessory lineup.
To add to my post above

I think little "trinkets" with the spyderco logo would be a great addition to the spyderco accessory lineup. I just got a ladybug/photon combo and its really cool that the photon has the bug logo on it. Also maybe something along the line of a pin(I know they already have) but in a keychain form. Such as how the gun company glock makes little keychain glocks to had out at expos and such.
I would also think shirts would be a good addition(again, I know they already make shirts) but this time something simple like a spydie logo on the front breast pocket. I already mentioned bottle openers. And they already have stickers. I can go on and on.

With all that being said, its not like spyderco has enough on their plate already :rolleyes:
Come Join Us Click Here
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

The Deacon wrote:Problem with that is, that unless authorized by Spyderco, the ethics and legality of putting their trademark logo on something for resale is, at best dubious.
That's a good point, Paul, I should have realized that. Well, I'm not handsome but I am fairly handy in the shop and there is 360 "shopping" days left...