do they make carbon fiber in different colors?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Carbon fibre is layers of a cloth-like material made from......carbon.......and is weaved. The layers arr pressed together. Depedning on the weave and the gel-coating finish will determine the how clear the weave can be seen, how smooth it is, and how tightly it is wovern and how thick the bundles or weave material is.

Sort of like layered micarta or kevlar.

Carbon Fibre is black. The weave material is what needs to be coloured
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

hey hey....i didnt mean for this to go in this direction...i was just wondering if one, CF could come in other colors than black and two, where i could get some for a kopa conversion. no more of this, let's celebrate Jan 6, in Wellesley, MA it is Fire Alarm Day, a local tradition in which public buildings festively set off fire alarms*.

* = the only thing i could find for Jan 6 that was funny :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tonydahose wrote:hey hey....i didnt mean for this to go in this direction...i was just wondering if one, CF could come in other colors than black and two, where i could get some for a kopa conversion. no more of this, let's celebrate Jan 6, in Wellesley, MA it is Fire Alarm Day, a local tradition in which public buildings festively set off fire alarms*.

And in local news... Rensselaer firehouse blaze extinguished :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rycen

Post by rycen »

blue carbon fiber

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

tonydahose wrote:hey hey....i didnt mean for this to go in this direction...i was just wondering if one, CF could come in other colors than black and two, where i could get some for a kopa conversion. no more of this, let's celebrate Jan 6, in Wellesley, MA it is Fire Alarm Day, a local tradition in which public buildings festively set off fire alarms*.

Benchmade did a regular production 210 fixed blade with two-tone ("black" and silver) carbon fiber scales, so yes, it can be done for knives. Not sure where to source it, though.

Actually, I have bought "bronze" CF blanks from AKS in the past.

CF is nasty stuff to work with...
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Clawhammer wrote:See that's how you correct someone...and yet I'm still not "wrong in so many ways!" as it was so clumsily put .

I could've gone into inane detail, but the answer to the initial question was put ; carbon fibre only comes in black...anything else isn't carbon fibre! I'll accept if I am wrong about anything...just show me the evidence!!!!

(I'm still pretty taken aback that someone would have the gall to leave that in respone to one of my posts, then hide)! :mad: :confused:

Deacon

I reckon I can argue that if you mix other (lesser) fibres into the composite...it's is no longer "Carbon Fibre".

Different carbon fibres can be made for elastisity or torsional strength (depending on autoclave temps) but I can see no practical reason to weave them together.
Okay, I didn't have time to "properly" (or clumsily) correct you. And I didn't "hide" either. I have other things to do besides expostulate with you about the manufacture of carbon fiber of all things.
The terms plastic and polymer aren't exactly interchangable, and while I'm not sure on this, I don't think the polymer used in CF manufacture is considered a plastic. (anyone verify this?)

And ALL the imitation CF I have seen has been a printed-on pattern. The links you so graciously gave me were for a DIY, and I really don't think your typical manufacturer is willing to take the time to do such a quality job. (honestly, have you ever seen that sort of imitation CF that wasn't DIY or professionally done?)
I have seen REAL yellow carbon fiber. Colored carbon fiber is not typically made with colored fibers woven in, it is normal CF with a translucent colored glaze/laquer/whatever it is they use on CF. It is always darkly colored, because they are only covering normal CF with a colored finish.

-Pierce
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Pass the popcorn.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

seriously... :mad: .wtf?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D