do they make carbon fiber in different colors?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

do they make carbon fiber in different colors?

Post by tonydahose »

and are they available for sale? just wondering :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I've seen it in red, blue, yellow, silver/gray and other colors made for car parts so I'm sure it's available.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, I know they make silver. Spyderco used it for those hideous accent stripes on the Spyker and Sheffield Supply shows red and blue in their catalog.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Potterma has used some colored CF on his mods before; I've seen red for sure, but I think he's used others too.

I think it is just the resin in the composite that has color; the fibers are still black. Anyone know different?
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

Carbon itself does not come in colors you would have to paint it.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

The CF weave comes in pretty well any colour you can conceive of. Any reputable car or vehicle shop spcializing in mods to body work will have access to it.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

FIMS wrote:The CF weave comes in pretty well any colour you can conceive of. Any reputable car or vehicle shop spcializing in mods to body work will have access to it.
Yes it does but it is painted. Carbon is black.
JD Spydo

Klotzli has many different color CF handles

Post by JD Spydo »

Tony I don't know if you remember or not but about 2 to 3 month ago here on the Off Topic section the forum I had a thread about Swiss made Klotzli knives. It was the October 2001 issue of Knives Illustrated that had an article on the huge variety and extremely beautiful line of multi-colored carbon fiber folders that Klotzli had.

I know for a fact that Klotzli has at least 8 to 10 different colors of Carbon Fiber handles. But if there's any way we could pull up that thread I had on Klotzli knives there was quite a bit of discussion on that topic.
Donut

Post by Donut »

FIMS

Post by FIMS »

YEs, its the weave that is coloured, carbon is black.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

FIMS wrote:YEs, its the weave that is coloured, carbon is black.
that. just add your color :p
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Yo Tony hope all is well,

Here is 2 Red CF spacers on my BMX cruiser
Attachments
DSC02620.jpg
DSC02620.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Carbon Fibre comes in any colour you like as long as it's Black!
Carbon-Fibre is burnt strands of plastic (like fishing line).

Those coloured weaves you see are imitation 'Carbon Fibre', in a CF like weave. They can be cotton, fibreglass or poylester weaves that are dyed and coated with resin!
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Clawhammer wrote:Carbon Fibre comes in any colour you like as long as it's Black!
Carbon-Fibre is burnt strands of plastic (like fishing line).

Those coloured weaves you see are imitation 'Carbon Fibre', in a CF like weave. They can be cotton, fibreglass or poylester weaves that are dyed and coated with resin!
Clawhammer :( ... this is wrong in many ways

it is certainly not strands of burnt plastic, and usually imitation carbon fiber isn't weaved anything, it's almost always just some lame printed on pattern.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Piercieve wrote:Clawhammer :( ... this is wrong in many ways
...please go on then...you can't just leave a statement like that :)

P.S.
Make sure you spell "Acrylonitrile" correctly when you correct me ...

Oh and here's an automotive "how-to". you can make your point with..BTW, please note the final comment on page 1!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-seco ... pping.html
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Piercieve wrote:Clawhammer :( ... this is wrong in many ways

it is certainly not strands of burnt plastic, and usually imitation carbon fiber isn't weaved anything, it's almost always just some lame printed on pattern.
..... he does.
Come Join Us Click Here
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

im no pro with all is said about different color CFs but im leaning toward the fact that the pic i posted up above isnt actually CF and its probably some other type of woven material with a resin coat
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clawhammer wrote:Carbon Fibre comes in any colour you like as long as it's Black!
If you are talking about the individual fibers, true, but carbon fibers can be woven with other fibers before being formed into composites which do not have to be black.
Clawhammer wrote:Carbon-Fibre is burnt strands of plastic (like fishing line).
Only in the same simplistic way that a diamond is coal that's been heated ans squashed. Very specific plastics "burnt" in a very specific manner.
Clawhammer wrote:Those coloured weaves you see are imitation 'Carbon Fibre', in a CF like weave. They can be cotton, fibreglass or poylester weaves that are dyed and coated with resin!
Again, a somewhat simplistic and deceptive statement. There are liars and cheats in every area of life, but fakes are still fakes. On the other hand, for many applications a "part" made from CF laminate only needs the rigidity of CF in one direction, normally its length. That would certainly be acceptable on a knife handle. For such applications, a weave which combines CF fibers running lengthwise with kevlar or glass fibers running at the width will retain the benefit of the CF while allowing color. So not every colored CF laminate is "imitation CF".
Paul
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

See that's how you correct someone...and yet I'm still not "wrong in so many ways!" as it was so clumsily put .

I could've gone into inane detail, but the answer to the initial question was put ; carbon fibre only comes in black...anything else isn't carbon fibre! I'll accept if I am wrong about anything...just show me the evidence!!!!

(I'm still pretty taken aback that someone would have the gall to leave that in respone to one of my posts, then hide)! :mad: :confused:

Deacon
So not every colored CF laminate is "imitation CF"
I reckon I can argue that if you mix other (lesser) fibres into the composite...it's is no longer "Carbon Fibre".

Different carbon fibres can be made for elastisity or torsional strength (depending on autoclave temps) but I can see no practical reason to weave them together.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clawhammer wrote:I reckon I can argue that if you mix other (lesser) fibres into the composite...it's is no longer "Carbon Fibre".
You can argue it, but the counter argument would be that, as long as the CF filaments are oriented properly to provide the expected benefit, then the material is a legitimate CF composite.

Is 22K gold "gold"? How about 18K gold? Or 14K gold? or 10K gold?

From what I understand, just like those "impure" forms of gold, the fiberglass/CF and Kevlar/CF weaves have practical advantages over a CF/CF weave for some applications,.

Part of the problem is that the terms "Carbon Fiber" and "CF" have been abused and misused to signify not only the individual fibers, but the yarn, the fabric, composites, and laminates made from those fibers as well.
Paul