Spydieguys. Help me here

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

my 3 or 4 experiences with them have been very smooth and quick. I wouldnt hesitate to order from them again. Enjoy your purchase! :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
BW_BW

Post by BW_BW »

I was a touch surprised that my Ebay purchase took 6 days to ship (given the buildup about super-fast lightning-quick shipping), but I figured that I deserved it by ordering from an APO address (what with the customs forms and all).

One the other hand, I placed an order with KnifeOutlet a few days later, and ended up getting that shipment a few days before. Oh well.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I only dealt with them one time and it was a negative experience. That being said, I feel they may be understaffed, and as a result that leads to mistakes every now and then, and I can see why they would be delayed during the holiday season.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

To the OP:
I've dealt with them once and had no problems. Since then I've found my desired knives from other sources, but I would buy from them again if they had what I was looking for.
SmoothOne25 wrote:long winded? whatever. :rolleyes: i speak my mind and if it has a volume you dislike then dont read. it is my right here as an adult, on a site populate by adults mind you, to say what i want. as far as being vulgar or rude or whatever you said that is far from the truth. turn on any tv/radio and you will here worse. i speak and type with passion when i am pissed about a topic i see as being interpreted wrong. you people saying he should get a pass for horrible customer service is beyond me. no excuse and if it takes me alot to get my point across then so be it. i find what you said to be dirsrespectful

watch it bbq boy your post was a little long winded too, dont want to get a warning from tricod....

im done. respond how you are right and i am wrong. i will be bigger man and not respond. done
I can understand and appreciate your passion, but please remember that we are guests of Sal and your "right" to speak as you please does not translate to a "right" to publish it on a forum maintained by our hosts. If you feel that you must place unfettered thoughts on the internet, start a blog.

As for any posts being "longwinded", I submit that even the most salient of points is lost among several column inches of solid text with inconsistent capitalization and punctuation. Little things like the use of paragraphs do wonders in helping to convey a message, and they don't take much time to use. No one likes having to re-read a post because everything seems like one runon sentence. Without the benefit of tone and inflection found in speech, we have to rely on the content and structure of the text to guide our responses.

A useful link: http://www.grammarbook.com/

Off to get some PB 'n' J...
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

phaust wrote:Isn't eBay's rule the seller has seven days to ship, or have they changed it (been awhile since I sold on there)? Unless Spydieguys claims to ship within X amount of days and haven't, I really don't think they can be faulted for it, again assuming they are within eBay's standards.
This was not an ebay sale. The sale was on the web site.
Spyderco Collector #162
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

I got an aggitated emailfrok Jess and I am happy for that. Still haven't received any sort of confirmation after being told here it would be shipped today. Oh well, I don't run business that way.
I am satisfied with what little results I have gotten. Sal or any other Admin, please delete this thread. I never intended this thread to get hostile. Just wanted to learn about a vendor and questioned how they operate.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

it is important to give feedback about businesses -- to the business, and other consumers -- especially if an experience was less than what you expected, or you feel you were treated poorly.

there are places to talk about knife dealers -- and the forums here aren't really the best fit for bringing up problems. the threads here that deal with negative experiences with dealers always turn into outhouses.

what about posting on the bladeforums whine and cheese thread? or someone starting a website or forum called "ratemyknifedealer.com" or something? what about leaving bad ebay feedback? what about making a report to the better business bureau? what about starting a blog about your experiences?

or even making a youtube video? ;)

i think that some of the forumites are probably withholding their actual opinions out of respect for sal, and in the interest of keeping this thread spyderco-forums-appropriate. commiserating elsewhere might bring different responses.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A few random observations. While some may be directly related to this thread, not all of them are, so please do not assume any particular one of them is.

No matter how good a dealer is, there will always be someone who feels they were wronged by him and feels compelled to vent every time said dealer's name is mentioned.

No matter how bad a dealer is, there will always be someone who has had nothing but good experiences buying from them and feels the need to come to their defense them vigorously vent every time that dealer is taken to task.

Regardless of how one feels about a given dealer, not every concern is reasonable. Lack of instant response from a merchant during a period when many businesses are operating with less than full staff is no cause for alarm.

Beyond that, and in spite of what some people apparently think, expecting consistently superb service and instant communications from discount retailers is simply not reasonable. There's a lot of truth to the old saying that "you get what you pay for". The fact one sometimes gets such service should be taken for what it is, a bonus. I suspect most of those with the strongest opinions of how dealers should conduct their business have never been in business for themselves.

Not every person with a legitimate complaint has the necessary verbal and/or social skills to post it in a clear and polite fashion.

Not everyone looking at a wall of text will take the time to read past the first line or two, especially if those first few lines give the impression that what follows is simply an incoherent rant.

The customer is not always right, we've had folks post here in the past bragging of how they've scammed dealers.

Not every dealer responds to criticism with the degree of grace and poise Sal consistently exhibits here. Some are so petty as to post infantile videos mocking those who dare express views different from their own.

Not to wish bad luck on anyone, but I've been buying Spydercos for six years now and every dealer that has offered super low prices has eventually gone down the drain. Some went down gracefully, some went down in flames, burning a fair number of customers in the process.

Unless you've communicated with someone by email before, the fact you have not received a reply does not necessarily mean none was sent. Spam filters are not 100% foolproof. Your email may never have reached them and, if it did, their response may never reach you.

Final note, while BladeForum's "Whines & Cheese" may be a good place for a rant, the best place for questions about dealer service is "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". It's also the best place to research a dealer's reputation before doing business with them. While it's not a 100% guarantee as to who's good, it can help you avoid dealing with some of the bad ones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

^Totally agree. Everyone has a different level of comfort with receiving product and service from businesses.

Certain businesses I know what to expect whether it be full on customer service or a little pain in the *** but I get what I want a few days later.

The on-line dealer I use for knives sometimes doesn't have the best prices, but h more than makes up for it with his shipping costs and it evens out in the end.

Also with that particular business, the owner sends you a hand written thank you for choosing him over everyone else at that time affixed to your bill.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

Jess just emailed me and said my Bradley was not in the shipment he got in today. He said it won't ship to me until next thursday. He did however give me 3 options. One to be reimbursed for the bradley, wait for the new shipment and/or trade the Bradley for the new Ti Military at no extra charge that will be in Monday. I have not read up on the Ti Military so I do not know.
Jess also gave me his personal email to contact him so his employees won't intercept mine. He seems to be trying to do the right thing here.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I don't know much about either knives so please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Ti-military is more expensive (and going to be amazing). I would go for it.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

good post, deacon. as usual. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Longtime lurker, 2nd time poster, and I have to applaud Deacon's eloquence as stated above.

I have used Spydieguys 3 times via E-bay. Twice I got confirmation e-mail and lightning quick shipping; once I got no confirmation but received my knife (but a few days tardier than the other two). Overall I was satisfied on all 3 transactions.

With regard to Jess's offer to give you the option of the Ti Millie, I say what a great deal! I think the going rate for the Ti Millie is about $50 to $75 bucks more than the Bradley is going for (give or take). Not to say that cash outlay is the only consideration, but it is something to make you think. You likely won't be able to get the Ti Mil for any less in the near future.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Ti-Militar ... 414bd7627d

monday the ti mili comes in? why dont you ask jess to send you one that he got already instead of posting to the highest bidder?
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Deacon has already stated some very pertinent views with his usual tact and eloquence, so the only observation I would add is this: there seem to be several dealers that seem to have nearly impeccable reputations with regard to service, integrity and products. I have found it much more satisfying and much less worrisome to buy from those dealers, rather than dealing with those who seem to have as many detractors as supporters.
arnon

Post by arnon »

SmoothOne25 wrote:I DONT THINK I CAN SAY THIS AND BE SHINY AT THE SAME TIME BUT I FEEL I MUST:
i am not gonna sit here and bash them but i would warn against them in the future...
i am a patient man but "belinda" the woman who signs the emails is straight rude and lazy. weeks (2 and a day) before i got the package, and the tracking number took 6 days to get and that is after i did a bad feedback on something else cheap i got that had arrived in 6 days. he does that stupid thing with the boxes and folds them and is too dam cheap to use a box and uses a "bag" that gets crushed easily. never met or even talked to jess but his staff or people are straight GARBAGE IMO. sorry sal i guess i had to bash a little...
but this is not another company, this is somewhere where we get out spydies. they need to know this. i will never use them again. i didn't post this a few weeks ago when this went down cause of sals policy of a nice peaceful atmosphere here and didn't want to start a fight or start trouble but since i see he is still a ****** businessman who is most concerned with money (see the "i bought -only admitted to like a dozen but was probably way more than that- 20 purple forums to resell to make MONEY) this may be getting a little mean but i never had an ebay experience like this. and i was warned in the past that using this guy is 50/50 some say he is great and some say he is horrible. well my dealings with him or belinda or whoever was the worst. "oh i didn't get around to sending you the tracking number i will try 2 days from now" wtf!? you place and order and a week later you finally get a response saying now he will try to get to it, the tracking number i mean. it takes 20 seconds top to shoot me an email but i must wait cause your lazy? no you lost my business forever forever. you been warned by me bbqboy, dont take a chance again with them. and dont blame the "holidays" this was weeks before x-mas....weeks! you can say it is an isolated incident but that is bull. i am a calm guy, never beefing with anyone on this forum never chime in on politics but spydiesguys should be ignored like the ugly girl at the dance

:rolleyes:
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The Deacon wrote:A few random observations. While some may be directly related to this thread, not all of them are, so please do not assume any particular one of them is.

No matter how good a dealer is, there will always be someone who feels they were wronged by him and feels compelled to vent every time said dealer's name is mentioned.

No matter how bad a dealer is, there will always be someone who has had nothing but good experiences buying from them and feels the need to come to their defense them vigorously vent every time that dealer is taken to task.

Regardless of how one feels about a given dealer, not every concern is reasonable. Lack of instant response from a merchant during a period when many businesses are operating with less than full staff is no cause for alarm.

Beyond that, and in spite of what some people apparently think, expecting consistently superb service and instant communications from discount retailers is simply not reasonable. There's a lot of truth to the old saying that "you get what you pay for". The fact one sometimes gets such service should be taken for what it is, a bonus. I suspect most of those with the strongest opinions of how dealers should conduct their business have never been in business for themselves.

Not every person with a legitimate complaint has the necessary verbal and/or social skills to post it in a clear and polite fashion.

Not everyone looking at a wall of text will take the time to read past the first line or two, especially if those first few lines give the impression that what follows is simply an incoherent rant.

The customer is not always right, we've had folks post here in the past bragging of how they've scammed dealers.

Not every dealer responds to criticism with the degree of grace and poise Sal consistently exhibits here. Some are so petty as to post infantile videos mocking those who dare express views different from their own.

Not to wish bad luck on anyone, but I've been buying Spydercos for six years now and every dealer that has offered super low prices has eventually gone down the drain. Some went down gracefully, some went down in flames, burning a fair number of customers in the process.

Unless you've communicated with someone by email before, the fact you have not received a reply does not necessarily mean none was sent. Spam filters are not 100% foolproof. Your email may never have reached them and, if it did, their response may never reach you.

Final note, while BladeForum's "Whines & Cheese" may be a good place for a rant, the best place for questions about dealer service is "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". It's also the best place to research a dealer's reputation before doing business with them. While it's not a 100% guarantee as to who's good, it can help you avoid dealing with some of the bad ones.
I don't know that this could be said any better. Sorry to take up post space but this was worth bringing up again.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

BBQ BOY wrote:Jess just emailed me and said my Bradley was not in the shipment he got in today. He said it won't ship to me until next thursday. He did however give me 3 options. One to be reimbursed for the bradley, wait for the new shipment and/or trade the Bradley for the new Ti Military at no extra charge that will be in Monday. I have not read up on the Ti Military so I do not know.
Jess also gave me his personal email to contact him so his employees won't intercept mine. He seems to be trying to do the right thing here.
Seems like he is going out of his way to make your experience a good one. Offering a Ti Military for a Bradley price is an amazing deal that I would jump on in a heart beat.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

I did not except the offer. I felt that I would be taking advantage of his generosity.
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

Well Jess told me last week that the Bradley knife would be shipped to me Thursday January 9th. I emailed him today asking if the knife had shipped to me yet , since his web site showed it still in processing. About 30 minutes later he returned my email saying they haven't received them yet. Well I got another email about 3 hours later saying the knife has been shipped to me. Later Jess emailed me again saying he was out of the office was unaware they arrived but his company sent it to me right away.
As far as I am concerned Jess is good in my book and held his end of the bargain.