I'm looking for a wrist watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gac

I'm looking for a wrist watch

Post by gac »

I have been buying $20 watches (emphasis on the plural) for the past couple years because something always breaks. I'd rather spend a $100 bucks and get something that will last.

My requirements are:

1- $100 ballpark price
2- Analog
3- wear while showering or exercising (no leather straps)
4- Wearable in all occasions. No tacticool or fancy-schmancy items.
5- Timers and such are not so important.

Remembering past threads I searched the Off-Topic forum found a few possibilities at my $100 (preferably lower) ballpark:

Wenger Swiss: inexpensive at http://www.timezone123.com (a store recommended in another thread.)
Traser
Seiko
Invicta
Citizen Eco-Drive
Skagen seen in a local shop and recommended by Dr. Snubnose.
Marathon: The TSAR model seems nice but may be out of range.

I think Casio G-Shocks are ugly.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

here's what i wear...

http://cgi.ebay.com/INVICTA-MENS-CLASSI ... 1e59636df6

simple, smart, suitable for any situation, from oil spill response to fly fishing to dinner in a suit. :D

had a corduba i really, really, REALLY liked for about 1.5 years, but eventually, water snuck in it when the little screw-off cap part wiggled itself loose during an intense fly fishing expedition. went with the 5428 because it was simpler -- less can go wrong with it. it's been the most reliable, no-fuss, handsome watch under $100 i've ever had. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

btw -- don't care for the skagens. my girlfriend and i both had issues with numbers falling off inside of them...!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've had a Ti Skagen for a few years now, as my non-beater watch. As in anytime I'm not expecting to be able to bang into anything with it.

I've got an Invicta 8926 coming (shipped on the 15th from Amazon). 315usd regular, on for 65usd right now. Automatic, means I'll have to get a winding box for it, as I rotate watches too.

I'm bad for watches too. The invicta will make 5 in rotation, but I think I've got about 15 watches now over the years. Most of mine are $40-50. My beater is still a g-shock g-100 that I've been trying to kill for 5 years now. The invicta is for yet another promotion at work.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

How about this Seiko No 7 on ebay right now?.. A seiko for under 100 bucks!?!?!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-MENS-SEIKO-A ... 414b91c31c
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

G-Shock hands down.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

I know you said you think Gs are ugly. So do I. But after going on a watch buying/selling spree and essentially losing my shirt, a G is EXACTLY what ended up back on my wrist when the dust settled and the music stopped. Just as ugly as it was before my (thankfully short) journey into the watch world. For a dress up analog, there's the Alpha sub which can hand-wind and hack and keeps semi-decent time. Mine gains a few minutes per day. Invicta also makes a sub homage but they aren't allowed to use the coin type bezel anymore. The alpha sub can be had for roughly half the price of the Invicta and it has the coin bezel. If you simply HAVE to have an analog watch, this would be my recommendation. Comes on a decent bracelet also. The alpha doesn't have near the water-resist rating of the Invicta and it has essentially NO warranty while the Invicta has a one year warranty, and a longer warranty is available if you buy it off ShopNBC. In my experience, the water-resistance of the Alpha is just fine and who needs a warranty on a sixty dollar watch anyhow?

But all that said, I wear (and recommend) my digital G almost all of the time. The alpha is just for my "ralph lauren moments". :D
raven

Post by raven »

I have to say go with either a G-Shock or Seiko. I have both and haven't had any issues with either. The G-Shock is darn near BOMB Proof. I've put my G through quite a bit and it's still going. Take Good Care, Be Safe Always, and Good Luck on your watch quest ;) .

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
JBE

Post by JBE »

+ 1 on the Invicta 8926 - great watch. Biggest disadvantage is that it is an automatic and requires constant movement to keep it going.

I've had one for almost 2 years now and it's still going.

Wenger makes a good watch too. I had one that gave me about 7-8 solid years of use with no problems.
Jason
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

You can occasionally find a Luminox for close to that price. I have been wearing them for years.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Up here in Canada we have the Fossil brand of watches. In the United States they are branded as Relic.

My wife got me a Relic almost 10 years ago and of all my watches it has lasted the longest. I get it buffed every now and then and just replaced the battery.

Well within your price point and their fabrication is top notch.

I have kicked in doors, punched out windows, fights, smacked it around, dropped, diving, you name it.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
gac

Post by gac »

Thanks for all the comments. I greatly appreciate it. I've narrowed down to looking at Invicta, Seiko, and Citizen.

Maybe I''l take a couple weeks and see what the Sunday Run has each week for Invicta's.
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

G - Shocks represent the best bang for your buck in terms of Man - Watches. They also have She - Man versions of the G - Shocks, just in case you're interested :D
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Do you have a preference as to whether it is quartz or automatic? That will help narrow the choices too (particularly if you want an automatic).
gac

Post by gac »

I don't have a preference on quartz vs. auto but quartz would seem to have less parts available to break. I think I have a good choice available.
A sampling:
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Diver-Col ... B002DO6Y7Y

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watche ... oduct.html

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-MENS-SEIKO-A ... 414b91c31c From an above link.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive ... bs_watch_3
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Honestly, I know it's not the most "tacti-cool" suggestion, but I'm going to have to recommend Timex. For $30-$50 you get a watch that will have everything you need and literaly "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"- which I believe was even the phrase coined by Timex back in the day. It's the Honda Accord of watches. I've taken mine through **** and never have had to worry about a thing. This on top of the intuitive layout and features just make it a steal.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I have owned several Fossil watches and I can say they are awesome. Relatively inexpensive, very reliable, and they all look pretty nice too!
Vic
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

I've got a Wenger Swiss Military which I wear when I know I am going to knock it around. It is a pretty decent watch for a pretty cheap price. I think I have the Terragraph. Not a bad watch. I have also owned Seikos, Fossils & Timexs, which haven't been too bad, but I like the Wenger the best.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
merthyrmafia

Looking for a wrist watch?

Post by merthyrmafia »

gac wrote:I have been buying $20 watches (emphasis on the plural) for the past couple years because something always breaks. I'd rather spend a $100 bucks and get something that will last.

My requirements are:

1- $100 ballpark price
2- Analog
3- wear while showering or exercising (no leather straps)
4- Wearable in all occasions. No tacticool or fancy-schmancy items.
5- Timers and such are not so important.

Remembering past threads I searched the Off-Topic forum found a few possibilities at my $100 (preferably lower) ballpark:

Wenger Swiss: inexpensive at http://www.timezone123.com (a store recommended in another thread.)
Traser
Seiko
Invicta
Citizen Eco-Drive
Skagen seen in a local shop and recommended by Dr. Snubnose.
Marathon: The TSAR model seems nice but may be out of range.

I think Casio G-Shocks are ugly.
Well iv'e owned Citizen Seiko, and will say without a doubt the best watch most rugged hard wearing watch iv'e ever owned is a Traser H3, this watch will take one **** of a beating, and just like the boxing Heavyweights from the seventies they just keep comming back for more.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have a TSAR and a 3100 Luminox.I wear the TSAR most.
I have been watching this post on CPF,if I had the extra cash I would be all over it.
I do not know the seller just been watching it.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showth ... p?t=203178
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]