Killer westerns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
stonetone

Killer westerns

Post by stonetone »

So I'm sitting here, snowbound with about 18 inches on the ground, watching the remake of "3:10 to Yuma," right on the heels of "Once Upon a Time in the West," just digging the vibe of the old-school, dark and heavy western epic.

Any other fans? Recommendations? Probably going to be a while before this town returns to normal, so I see a lot of movies in my future...
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

definitely watch "dead man." :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
oregon

Post by oregon »

Heaven's Gate & One-Eyed Jacks are must-see westerns.

Lets see a pic of the snow storm I'm hearing about on the new here on the left coast, pretty please.

oregon
araneae

Post by araneae »

Outlaw Josey Wales
The dollars trilogy
Unforgiven
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Outlaw Josey Wales
The dollars trilogy
Unforgiven
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

Open Range
-Nick

stonetone

Post by stonetone »

I've got no flash on my crappy phone camera, probably have to wait until morning to get something good. I can say that the snow basically swallowed and made a big white hump of the Coleman cooler on the back porch, but there was probably some wind involved in that.

I'm pretty familiar with Clint's stuff and the spaghetti westerns, but I've never heard of those other three. Gonna have to check them out!
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

Great thread I was actually looking around for some good westerns :)
War is mostly waiting.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

IMHO Nothing so far has matched or beaten Clint Eastwood's 'Unforgiven'.

It depicts the frontier as a dirty, depressing place where life was fragile & cheap and the only winners were the buzzards! A place where "everybody has it comin' " .

The shootout(s) were as clumsy and awkward as the dialogue (i.e. realistic) And the 'atmosphere' captured by the cinematography probably only surpassed by "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers".
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Hands down the Good the Bad and the Ugly. My brother just surprised me today with a personalized autographed picture of Eli as Tuco for me for an early Xmas gift.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

The Good the bad and the ugly fer shure! I have the ultimate edition on DVD. It's a two DVD set. Well worth the money. The second DVD is interviews and such. Clint said that GBU wasn't even his favorite spagetti film, he was shocked when it did so well. He also said that the holster he used in the movie was his holster from Rawhide. He had to protect his hat because there were no replacements available. He took it to his motel room every night and guarded it vigorously. Lots of cool factoids on that disk.

I would also recommend The Searchers and Unforgiven. Two really good westerns. I liked Tombstone also. Val Kilmer's performance in that film was, in my opinion, award worthy. When he was laying in that Catholic church deathbed talking to Wyatt. I dunno, I just have never seen such a performance by an actor. Before or since.

For a non western (of you're interested) one of my favs is The Last Boy Scout. I always thought they should have made a sequel. What a great action flick!
hickster

Post by hickster »

Of course, all of the Clint Eastwood "spaghetti westerns". Plenty of outstanding John Wayne westerns too. The Magnificent Seven is an all-time favorite- incredible cast! for a more modern take, I just can't get enough of Tombstone- what a great movie.
I really dig old westerns!
Hmm, I think I'll order up Westworld from Netflix.
hickster
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

When you're sick of westerns, Akira Kurosawa did samurai films as the ultimate homage' . He had them hold draw on their swords like western gunslingers! Magic!
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

A lot of the Westerns already mentioned plus John Wayne's "El" series, El Dorado etc, basically the same film just different endings, all masterfully done.

Ditto his Rooster Cogburn films as the one-eyed Marshall.............

The Wyatt Earp movies by Costner and the other one starring Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer, both great movies but bizarrely BOTH filmed and released at the same time. I personally prefer the Russel/Kilmer version but the Costner one is not bad...........

Costner's "Dances with Wolves" is still a classic worth watching once a year.

"Open Range" starring Costner with Robert Duvall is an excellent Western, simple story told very well and acted superbly, released in August 2003.

Almost ANY Western with Clint Eastwood is worth watching................

"3:10 to Yuma" I admire hugely, the original and the remake with Russell Crowe!

Regards,

BRIAN
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

I think that 'One-Eyed Jacks', from 1961 (filmed in Monterey, CA), and 'The Searchers', from 1956 (filmed in Monument Valley), are two of the most beautifully-photographed westerns ever made.

The original 'The Magnificent Seven' (1960) is a bit patronizing towards the Mexican farmers in the film, but the musical score is near-perfect (won an Oscar), and the cast is great. It is a very good trans-cultural remake of 'The Seven Samurai', directed by Akira Kurosawa, from 1957.

'Pursued' with Robert Mitchum, from 1947, is a 'Freudian western' (it reminds me a little bit of Alfred Hitchcock's 'Spellbound').

'Destry Rides Again' (1939), starring Marlene Dietrich and Jimmy Stewart, is wonderful. 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' (1962), with Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne, also wonderful. 'High Noon', from 1952 (Gary Cooper and Grace Kelley, and Lee Van Cleef), was an analogy about standing up to communism, but you don't need to know that to enjoy this classic western.

'Shane' (1953) is slow at times, but great. There is an understated sexual tension between Shane, the drifter, and the wife of the rancher where he is staying, that is fun to see, because it is so underplayed. Jack Palance as the evil gunfighter, is great. The first person he guns down is one of my favorite character actors - Elisha Cook, Jr. ('Wilmer' in 'The Maltese Falcon').

'Heaven's Gate' (1980) is grim, grim, grim, but an epic saga at 219 minutes long. It lost tons of money for the studio that made it.

'Silverado' (1985) has a good cast, and is fun. 'The Wild Bunch' (1969) is a stark paen to director Sam Peckinpah's violent vision of a dying old west. 'Little Big Man' (1970), starring Dustin Hoffman, is both anti-war sentiment, and a reaction to certain exploitative aspects of the westward expansion. 'The Cowboys' (1972), starring John Wayne, was an analogy about the Vietnam war, and a story about boys growing into men. Bruce Dern was a good heavy.

I haven't seen the following westerns, but have been meaning too: 'Mystery Ranch' is a gothic-mystery-in-a-haunted-house western (from 1932). 'Johnny Guitar' (1954), starring Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden, was directed by the man who directed 'Rebel Without a Cause' (Nicholas Ray). An unusual western. Crawford didn't like it, but it has a cult following. 'The Bronze Buckaroo' (1939), starring Herb Jeffries, is one of the few remaining examples of 'black Hollywood', made for a segregated America, most of which has not survived.

I've always thought it would be fun for someone to teach a serious history of trends in American cinema using nothing but western films.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

BTW 'Stonetone' I've just returned on friday from a town called Cloncurry where it was 38Deg C (~100Deg F) in the shade to Brisbane where there is tropical rain and thunder at 10 o'clock in the morning... so there are other ways of being house bound too! :)
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

A big +1 on 'Dead Man'.

Another good one is 'The Long Riders', about the James-Younger gang, with the Keach, Carradine, and Quaid brothers.
JBE

Post by JBE »

My personal favorites and recommendations....Though after reading through some of the other responses I believe all have already been mentioned...

1. Unforgiven- starring Clint Eastwood. Released in 1992
2. Tombstone- starring Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer. Released in 1993
3. Open Range- starring Kevin Costner and Robert Duval. Released in 2003
4. The Outlaw Josey Wales - starring Clint Eastwood. Released in 1976.

You should be able to find all of those titles on DVD online at relatively low prices.

I just realized by looking up those release dates that a decent western hasn't been put out on the big screen in a long time. :(
Jason
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Star Wars.

Best western hands down.
4. The Outlaw Josey Wales - starring Clint Eastwood. Released in 1976.
First western I ever sat through as a kid when my Dad rented it one night. Brings back memories whenever I see it on TV.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php