Killer westerns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Lot's of good suggestions. I'd just add Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller, set in the Pacific Northwest with realism that was way ahead of its time. After Altman died I watched it for the first time and was amazed how good it was. I guess the title made me think it would be a completely different kind of movie.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I like The Good, The Bad and A Fistful of Dollars. As well as my all time favorite High Plains Drifter.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Most of the ones I like have been mentioned already; the Eastwood spaghetti westerns, Unforgiven, Tombstone, and Silverado are all favorites. I'd rate both versions of 3:10 to Yuma as good, but prefer the original, think it's far more believable. One I like that hasn't been mentioned yet is The Missing with Tom Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gac

Post by gac »

Don't forget a couple classics: Red River and Stagecoach.

Hombre with Paul Newman is a great one.

I also really liked Tom Horn with Steve McQueen.
JT

Post by JT »

Yeah, anything (including westerns) with Eastwood kicks ***!

I also liked the series "Deadwood" alot, kinda different view of the "Old West" though.. :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Guys, I am surprised no one has mentioned Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch....probably one of the best westerns ever made. I remember one of the independent cinemas over the other side of the city was playing a rerelease about 7 years ago. I trekked all the way to see it based on my old man's recommendation, it was a really great flick.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

FIMS wrote:Star Wars.

Best western hands down.

First western I ever sat through as a kid when my Dad rented it one night. Brings back memories whenever I see it on TV.
Hahah Star Wars combines just about every aspect of the epic genre.

But as for me, Tombstone is my favorite. Kilmer's Doc Holliday just kills me. I got so interested in Doc that I ended up writing my college essay about him lol
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

My 2nd cousin did the armory stuff for 3:10 to Yuma. I guess he also taught Russell Crow et al. how to shoot w/ the period weapons, too. Not knowing this at the time, I really enjoyed that movie, especially Wash's performance.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

The Deacon wrote: One I like that hasn't been mentioned yet is The Missing with Tom Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett.
I must admit I forgot about that one, another under-stated but finely made and acted Western............... ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
Argento

Post by Argento »

I´m more the Italo Western Fan, ill list a few of my fav:

Navajo Joe
Blindman
Django
The Good, the bad and the ugly ( of course :) )
Death rides a Horse
Sabata
Big Gundown
Django kill (if you live, shoot)
Nobody
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

How about 'Outland' with Sean Connery. Okay, it's set on Io, one of the moons of Jupiter, but it's still a 'Western'. :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Vincent wrote:I like The Good, The Bad and A Fistful of Dollars. As well as my all time favorite High Plains Drifter.
High Plains Drifter!

My favorite as well. +1

Also a big fan of Tombstone. Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday is brilliant.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

I've always liked "Lonesome Dove".
Rick T.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Here's a must-watch: Broken Trail. Good story, great acting, breath-taking video.
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

"The Cowboys" - Not only my favorite western, but also my favorite John Wayne movie. I love the music from the movie, too.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

sorry Clawhammer but you are mistaken!!!! akira kurosawa came first! in all movies. seven samaurai was made into magnificent seven, yojimbo was made into fist full of dynamite, and the hidden fortress HEAVILY influenced George Lucas' star wars. you can see it in the whole movie from basic story to how the scenes are cut and how then pan. no offense intended but all of these directors admit it. just a kurosawa lover, sorry!

back on topic: Apallossa is a very cool character driven newish Western. Seraphim Falls is also western/mountainman survival kinda thing. awesome flick. also The Propostion is a cool Austrailian based "western".
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

No offense taken! Happy to learn! But I guess the next logical question is...who influenced Kurosawa?...his movies had a real 'western' edge to them. Love those Kurosawa stand-offs :)

"The Proposition" was shot near a town called Winton in Western Queensland. For those that haven't seen it, it's a pretty depressing landscape.

Someone once scrawled on the sign at the entry to town "Winton, where hope comes to die"!

They brought in 'stunt flys' and had a fly 'wrangler' to maintain the authenticity of the movie.
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

JT wrote:I also liked the series "Deadwood" alot, kinda different view of the "Old West" though.. :D
The death of "Deadwood" was a big disappointment. I can barely stand to watch it all the way through anymore, it just ends so badly right before a huge payoff.

In other news, I picked up the Magnificent Seven over the weekend, settling in for a screening soon. I'd heard the Star Wars comparisons before, but never got around to checking it out somehow.
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
JT

Post by JT »

stonetone wrote:The death of "Deadwood" was a big disappointment. I can barely stand to watch it all the way through anymore, it just ends so badly right before a huge payoff.
I hear you! That just SUCKS!! it just begs for season four.
Or alternatively there was supposed to be two 2hour movies to end the series... nothing from HBO yet. I think it was discussed back in 2007.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
gac

Post by gac »

Clawhammer wrote:No offense taken! Happy to learn! But I guess the next logical question is...who influenced Kurosawa?...his movies had a real 'western' edge to them. Love those Kurosawa stand-offs :)

"The Proposition" was shot near a town called Winton in Western Queensland. For those that haven't seen it, it's a pretty depressing landscape.

Someone once scrawled on the sign at the entry to town "Winton, where hope comes to die"!

They brought in 'stunt flys' and had a fly 'wrangler' to maintain the authenticity of the movie.
I read Dashiell Hammett did. Red Harvest is the precursor.

I watched part of Resolution but was unable to finish it before i had to take it back to the Library.