Show Us Your Laguiole

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
telemeister

Show Us Your Laguiole

Post by telemeister »

Hi all,

Thought I'd see how many other people there are with the classic French knife - the Laguiole. Here are some pics of the ones I own, one made from boxwood and the other from stag bone. Hope you like 'em...

[ATTACH]13913[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13914[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13915[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13916[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13917[/ATTACH]
Attachments
PC035368.JPG
PC035368.JPG (72.12 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
PC035365.JPG
PC035365.JPG (69.88 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
PC035358.JPG
PC035358.JPG (93.87 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
PC035377.JPG
PC035377.JPG (90.63 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
PC035375.jpg
PC035375.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I have one with Olivewood. Got it with a Lagiuole corkscrew package deal. Love the corkscrew, but never used the knife. Open/closed it maybe dozen time. Never had need or desire. I was going to put in my picnic basket, but realized that it would just sit there too...so it sits in my drawer. Now that Im into Spydies, it will never get used either!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

I rarely use mine either, mainly they are reminders of the time I spent living in France. I mainly use the boxwood one on things like hard cheeses and that's about it. The stag bone is also just for show. A pity really, because they are both razor sharp.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

One I picked up at a flea market.

The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

I traded a Cold Steel knife for a Spyderco and the guy threw this Lagioule in the trade. I know nothing about the knife other than I thougt it was pretty cool. If some of you more knowledgable forumites can tell me more about it, it, I'd appreciate the knowledge.
Attachments
100_1270.jpg
100_1270.jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
100_1269.jpg
100_1269.jpg (98.36 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
100_1268.jpg
100_1268.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
100_1267.jpg
100_1267.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Pancho wrote:I traded a Cold Steel knife for a Spyderco and the guy threw this Lagioule in the trade. I know nothing about the knife other than I thougt it was pretty cool. If some of you more knowledgable forumites can tell me more about it, it, I'd appreciate the knowledge.

You made a good deal.
That is a Forge de Laguiole, one of the best, if not the best brand of Laguiole knives.
Quite expensive & good steel that can be sharpened to a razors edge, especially the versions with T12 steel.(older ones use 440A)

I have one myself which i use when i go out to dinner, beats every table knife that you're normally offered in restaurants.
Remember to cut under an angle on a porcelain plate to save your edge.
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the guy didn't know any more about the knife than I did. Think I'll just leave it in my drawer where I had it.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Pancho wrote:Thanks for the info. Sounds like the guy didn't know any more about the knife than I did. Think I'll just leave it in my drawer where I had it.
To add more infos, a Laguiole knife with prestigious wood scale (vine lignium or ebony) fetch near 200.00$. The one you have looks like oak or maple. Brand new, they sell for around 100.00$ - 125.00$.

Very nice throw in...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
noddy

Post by noddy »

I am very fond of laguioles. I carry one often – usually just for eating with - I do a lot of that. But it makes and excellent filleter and all round doer. Wouldn’t try to batten oak burl with it though :D

Here’s a few. I’d always like some more. There are a few really nice, higher end commercial makers out there

Here for your delectation are three Fontenille Pataud laguioles – in ebony and 12C27 (possibly my favourite), boxburl and ATS34, ivory and carbon steel. You can also see an anonymous hard worker in 440A – with the rosewood and embossed brass plate – and a G David in horn and carbon steel.

For company a Gene Ingram small sodbuster (micarta and D2) and a Fontenille Pataud Aurillac sheperd’s knife – in 440A and ivory

I would gladly own one of each of the increasingly extensive Fontenille Pataud range

Also some pics of some other francophones by Issard, Opinel, Nontron and the French Swiss maker Stéphane Anken. Tried to captue some of the delicious detail of the Damascus on the Ankem

telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Very nice. I'm starting to think I wouldn't mind getting another one.
th0m

Post by th0m »

Wow, I really like those. Are Forge de Laguiole slipjoints only or do they make locking ones as well?

I found this site which seems to be quite affordable: http://www.vivelafranceonline.com/

BTW, the Fontenille Patauds look amazing. I'm almost considering selling my Mnandi just to get one of the damascus XS's...
noddy

Post by noddy »

Fontenille Pataud's knives are nice no doubt - and I really got a jones for a St Martin and the Rouen City knife you can see on their site. Was going to order a St. Martin in brass and ebony for my Christmas present to me this year, but an old Puma Earl came up on the bay and I had to bid - and I got it!! :) So that's that for a while :( :D :D

I like Fontenille Pataud's Thiers folder too

I think though for laguioles I'd like a Laguiole de l'Artisan in 12C27, juniperburl and brass, and a Laguiole en Aubrac in carbon steel, stag and brass - enough then for a picnic party by the river :)
toeterbaas

Re: Show Us Your Laguiole

Post by toeterbaas »

Hi , I want to buy an aubrac.
Are they recommed?
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver