What is your favorite AR-15?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
V-1

What is your favorite AR-15?

Post by V-1 »

Just curious. With so many deifferent makes and models out now, what is your favorite?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've got a ruger 10/22 with AR style stock... that's about as far as I'm able to comment, I'm afraid. :D :eek: :p
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Probably the best, imho, dollar-for-dollar, is a Bravo Company Machine rifle.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I like the Para-Ordanace version.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
gac

Post by gac »

The big manufacturers like Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster and Rock River have good reputations. Smaller makers like Bravo Company also make good stuff. I have yet to get an AR but plan to buy a lower, put that together, and then buy a good quality upper.

Going to AR15.com and reading the forums and FAQs is a great way to start out. If you go to the Hometown forums and read through there you'll likely find out which area gun stores whave good stock and will let you look at the stuff. You may also find people willing to help and go shoot wtih.

I think some people go overboard and are real nitpicky on rifles. Most people are only going to take their rifle to the range or a competition. Other guys want to get the super expensive, ultra-reliable rifle as if they are going to parachute into Afghanistan.
supermatch38sa

Post by supermatch38sa »

Hi, I´ve had 4 colt´s : 1 match Hbar, 1 early sp-1 sporter, 2 ar-15a2 carbines all were great quality and 100% reliable (all of them .223´s), and lately an olympic arms H bar carbine and is awesome also. For me Colt is the best, but there are great guns out there from other manufacturers as well that are of great quality.
Greetings from Arce, Spain!!! :)
Kindest regards:
Jose
Jose
¨PRICE IS FORGOTTEN, QUALITY IS EVERLASTING¨
rljohns

Post by rljohns »

I have a Rock River M4 carbine and I love it. It is the quad rail flat top with a red dot. I have a friend that has a DPMS AR-10 that I shot one time. It was re3ally cool but a bit heaver. An AR-10 is similar to an AR-15 but, calibered in .308.

Supermatch38sa,
How are the gun laws in Spain for private citizens? Can you have AR-15 based weapons at home if you aren't LE? Can you take them to th range and shoot without any hassles? What about handgun laws?
raven

Post by raven »

I carry an LMT (CQB16PS) piston operated AR-15.

-raven-
Attachments
REAPER1.JPG
REAPER1.JPG (64.9 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

At the moment, I'm without an AR-15 (currently have an AK).
In the past, I've owned Colts and Bushmasters, and all have treated me very well.

On duty, I've also used Colts, with mixed results. Generally, they were good, but we did experience a few hiccups with them occasionally.

I think many people are a little too picky, though, when discussing ARs. Many talk down about Bushmaster, and I've owned like 4 or 5 of them and each performed flawlessly.

If you buy from the companies mentioned here, you should generally be okay.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I have an Olympic Arms and a mutt that was the fodder of a project maddened shooting buddy. Both have not given me any problems. I really like to get hold of one of the newer Ruger 5.56, HK ARs, a Steyr, or any other piston operated black rifle.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

Colt makes the Best. Bushmaster is a really good gun too with TONS of options.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Thats kinda a hard question. Kinda like whats the best knife. The best knife is the one that gets the job done. Best AR is the one that gets the job done.

So for the money, I think bushmasters, Colts and the S&W M&P are the best deal for the money.

For me the best is the one Im currently building. Its gonna be awesome.

Raven... I dig yours!

My theory is if its good enough for our men and women in service... its good enough for me.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
gac

Post by gac »

Tricod wrote: My theory is if its good enough for our men and women in service... its good enough for me.
Please don't get that argument started...
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

I can tell you that after packing a Colt M16 for 4 years I bought a Les Baer, super varmint in .204 ruger. It is the single most accurate rifle I have ever shot and I have shot a lot of long guns. Plenty of AR owners are happy if their gun shoots 1.5" five shot groups at 100 yards... I am happy shooting 1.5" groups at 300 yards, or sub 2" at 400. For its intended purpose it works very good. My next AR will prob be a smith M&P for close in coyote calling and two gun matches.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Any of you guys shooting one in 300Whisper ?
raven

Post by raven »

Here's a pic of my AR-15 (the LMT) and my AR-10. It's a DPMS SASS in 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester. I shoot a 167 gr Gold Match rounds and this round can put rounds 800 to 1000 yards out. Depending on various factors ... Jimd knows what I'd be referring to ;) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
SASSII.jpg
SASSII.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
1manoperation

Post by 1manoperation »

favorite depends on what day it is:

blowing holes in everything my socom 458

snuffing ground dwelling life forms my 6.5 grendel

leaving on the rush never to return my 556 bushmaster
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Many talk down about Bushmaster, and I've owned like 4 or 5 of them and each performed flawlessly.
This kind of thing really irks me! I have a Bushmaster carbine, and it is a whole HECK of a lot better in comparison to the Colts I used to carry in the military! I guess there are people who just have to be snobs in any crowd!
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
raven

Post by raven »

AR-15 debate is just as bad as what's the better brand knife. There isn't anything wrong with the Bushmaster. I've shot Bushmaster, Colt, Olympic Arms, LMT, DPMS ...and so on. It's a matter of preference and what fits the shooter.

When I went through my Patrol Rifle Instructor Course I used the department issued Olympic Arms. I had a lot of folks tell me the weapon wasn't very good, but it functioned just fine with no malfunctions ...and that was putting 1200 + rnds through it ;) . I believe it has a lot to do with maintenance. Any AR-15 will function well if it's taken care of... The AR-15 was built to be rugged and I believe they all do their job ;) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-

butch

Post by butch »

some day in a land far far away when i have the $$$
looking to get an AR10A2 carbine and then a 22 inch 243win A4 upper so i can swap back and forth
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com