Buck/Strider?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
StangBang

Buck/Strider?

Post by StangBang »

I came across the Buck Strider SBMF model last night and saw a fair price on one. I really would love to have a real Strider SNG but the prices are just out of my range. Without selling some of my more rare Spyders I don't see it happening.

Which leads me to this question.

Does anyone own a Buck/Strider collab model? If so what are your impressions of it?

Do you have any pictures you could share with me?

I know the quality is not going to be up there with the G10/ Ti S30v Striders, but for the price range are they decent knives?

Any help is much appreciated :)
Thanks in advance!
Vic
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

If you are like me, sometimes you just have to buy something because it looks cool and the price is right at the time.

Right now Im on the fence about getting a SOG Seal Pup. A local dealer is selling them off for really next to nothing, and it is the Made in Japan one.

Im not a SOG guy per se, but its very tempting.

My advice, just get it.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

I have a BG42 888 fixed blade...it is amazing for the price I paid :) ....Of course, I also do have a real SnG :)
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

The Buck/Strider is a great "starter knife."

But in my opinion, you already have great starter knives -****, great knives in general- in the form of Spyderco's. Unless you just want to branch out and try something different, the Buck/Strider won't do anything your Spyderco's can't. But, it is a great knife if you just want to try something new. It's a liner lock, not a framelock like a SMF or SnG. Not at all saying that is bad, just saying it is different than a SMF or SnG.

The Buck/Strider is not the same as a Strider :)
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Well, I'm just gonna say it bluntly, Ive been thinking all day if I should speak up or not. So i'm just gonna say it simple and clear, dont question to much, just trust me. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. You will be disapointed, the quality is poor, the materials are poor, the tolerances are poor, and the price is high. If you tried to give me another one, I would say find someone else, cause it would never get any pocket time (and thats a waste of a knife to sit in a box)

This does not apply to real Striders, on top of that Mick, and Josh are awesome guys, great folks to hang out with, make a heck of a product, and stand behind it, even when they shouldnt or have no reason to (remind you of anyone we know?)
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I havethe Buck Strider 880T ( tanto) in ATS 34. It's got a thick blade, thick Ti liners and id pretty obtuse for a folder. I like slicers, and this isn't it. It is well made, stout, and could probably pry as much as one would want a folder to pry, but the thought of that is too creepy for me.

It stays in the box pretty much, unsharpened like new. It's just not my thing, though it's well built.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Thanks to everyone who replied! I decided not to get it, 1) that money could be put towards a spyder or a strider and 2) I would still end up wanting a real one anyways.

So I think I will just save up until I can afford one! Might sell off a couple Spydies for one as well.

Thanks again for everyones honest input :)
Vic
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

StangBang wrote:Thanks to everyone who replied! I decided not to get it, 1) that money could be put towards a spyder or a strider and 2) I would still end up wanting a real one anyways.

So I think I will just save up until I can afford one! Might sell off a couple Spydies for one as well.

Thanks again for everyones honest input :)
Good idea! The real SnG is one **** of an outstanding knife, and I think you'd be better served with one of those. Pricy, yes, but IMO, worth the price.

Mastiff, if you don't want that 880T and want to get rid of it, give me a shout. I'm sure we could work something out. :D
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Vic, just thought I'd tell ya...

I just recently saw a used SnG go for only $240 over in the cove. Just keep your eye out.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have one, (the one that looks like the SnG, don't know the number).
For me it's not right. The blade is ok but most of the other is just not together. Scales are too rough and not rounded at the corners. Lock is bent strangely and doesn't engage enough. Blade is not nearly centered.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Firefighter880 wrote:Vic, just thought I'd tell ya...

I just recently saw a used SnG go for only $240 over in the cove. Just keep your eye out.
:eek:

Guess I need to shell out some cash and get access to the cove...

Thanks for the heads up!
Vic
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

They are decent knives but the comparison between the real McCoy is night and day. Id choose a spydie over either anyday.
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

I love my Buck Strider CMT Police folder. It locks up solid and feels so good in my hand. I mainly carry it when playing in creeks and the woods. I haven't had to sharpen it yet, but I think might be challenging with its blade geometry and narrow serrations. It is similar in size to the Manix but cannot compete with the Manix's quality and materials.

I got mine for $40 :D when Cabela's was closing them out last year. However, based on my Spyderco experience, I couldn't justify paying for a full-blown Strider.

I don't have any pics of my knife, but plenty can be found online.

My advice is to continue investing your $ in :spyder: .
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

If you are meaning the one that looks like an SNG I would say no they are not worth the price.All I have handled were lacking.Of coarse I have a couple real Striders so I could see the difference.If you have not handled an SNG-SMF you might see them different.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Well I went to a gun show this weekend and actually saw a Buck/Strider. It looked to be the size of an SMF and had a sandpaper texture on the blade above the grind. It had dual black G10 and a liner lock. I was not impressed at all. They wanted $135 for it. The price of a Military!!!! I am glad I got to handle one thats for sure because I would have been very dissapointed had I paid for one...
Vic
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

That was my thoughts when I handled it.
Save a little more cash and get a Strider SNG,they can be found used for around 300.00.They are worth it.Only thing I like to look out for on them is for an early lock up on the frame lock,thats mostly just because I like an early lock up.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes I have an SnG, there is a world of difference in them.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white