Horror films

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dete

Horror films

Post by dete »

since it's October and all... I like to watch horror films on Halloween :o

what are your top 3 horror films?

Mine:
1) Hellraiser
the one that started it all, I hear there is like 8 total! 2 was really really good, but I gotta stick with the original. The Cenobites are just an awesome site!

2) Feardotcom
starts off like The Ring but the climax is much better imo because it's a showdown, kinda like a Dracula vs Frankenstein!

3) Alien
There has been lots of classics, amongst them, I chose this over The Shining, Exorcist, JAWS, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, etc. just because I feel it was most innovative how it combined elements creating a new genre, how it kept pushing boundaries and ended up with something unique.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Pretty hard to define what horror is anymore. It used to simply be something that set the viewer off... malevolent beings, indistinct noises, a feeling of unease looking at a scene, making you shiver thinking about it. When there is far scarier out there on TV and the news it's hard to scare my generation.

I know my father can't get through more than about 20min of Hostel, yet I see nothing wrong with it.

I enjoyed The Cave, The Ruins, Amityville Horror. Though I spent more time laughing than anything.

I grew up watching The Outer Limits, X-Files, Hitchcock, Terminator and Alien series. I had watched Alien & Aliens a few times by the time I was about 9. I won't deny that it scared me the first time.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

There's been a serious denigration of the horror genre over the last ten years. With the advent of improved CG and special effects, filmmakers have started to revert to the use of gore and violence to scare its audience. Watch these modern horror movies and you'll see the fear comes out of the gruesome deaths, it almost creates a nauseating feel within your stomach; but it's not true fear.

I do love the old black and white classics though, Dracula (1931), you just can't help but love Bela Lugosi's portrayal of the undead count. And Frankenstein (1931) to be sure.
may it not be tricksy
Noble

Post by Noble »

Haloween. Michael Myers will haunt me for the rest of my life. I watched the originals back in the day, when i was a kid. 80's and 90's. Im still scared of that bastard.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

1. Psycho
2. Jaws - it may not count, but I love the movie.
3. The Shining

It is difficult to define horror, but the three I listed I believe are horror films in a way. The movie Se7en, though it may not be a horror film, was more frightening, to me, than many of the movies that are classified as "horror". Just my $0.02.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I really don't have a top three, but I'll say this...

To me, if the movie featured Vincent Price or Béla Lugosi, it was a true horror flick. Those are your Halloween classics.

Vincent Price was my all-time favorite. His looks, his voice, and his acting were superb and most perfect for what I'd consider to be horror films. And, Lugosi... what can you say... he put "horror" into the title.

I'll also add Christopher Lee, Peter Cushion, and Jack Palance to that list as well. Lee doesn't have to do anything to be frightening. Cushion was so versatile at being either the good guy or bad guy in a horror movie. Palance's stature, voice, evil sneer, and sheer looks alone made him a most frightening obstacle to confront in any scene.

My opinion is that it's not the blood and gore that makes the horror flick... it's the actors and actresses. And, the five mentioned above are classics in their own right. You could say horror movies were their specialty.
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Noble wrote:Haloween. Michael Myers will haunt me for the rest of my life. I watched the originals back in the day, when i was a kid. 80's and 90's. Im still scared of that bastard.
Lots of people are knocking the Rob zombie remakes, but i really liked them.

The SAW series is also great IMO.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
dete

Post by dete »

wow, I didn't expect so many people to be classics lovers here!

obviously I'm a big fan of the 1931 Dracula, but it's difficult for me to call it a horror movie...

Same with many of Vincent Price's stuff such as "House on Haunted Hill" which I loved and enjoyed even the remake by Dark Tower films!

I do like House of 1000 Corpses as well.

Hopefully because now that pretty much everything has been done, we can see stuff where the makers can express what they want to do without worrying that it's too different, or doing something just for the sake of rarity.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I watched the original Halloween the other day, I love early 80s to 90s horror flicks, the new stuff just inst the same anymore
JD Spydo

Pet Semetary: Not for the faint of heart

Post by JD Spydo »

I tend to be a big Stephen King fan. But I do like some of the older stuff as well.

My all time fav was definitely PET SEMETARY :eek: The little kid Gage was a real dandy :rolleyes:

Being I was an old Dark Shadows fan from the old TV series I still like the movie "House Of Dark Shadows"

And who can forget good ol' Norman Bates in the all time Hitchcock classic Psycho>> I even liked all the sequels to it as well.

But I guess I'm probably mild by today's standards :rolleyes:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

I loved all the 80's horror movies.... Tried to get into the torture thing like Hostel and Saw (first one was great).... But never found the true horror I felt when I was young........

Until.....

1- The Spanish Original Version of [REC] About zombies contaminated by a possessed 7 feet skinny tall girl

2- A tale of two sisters.... Taiwanese story about two sisters back from you don't know where and hating their step mother...

3- "Funny games" the Danish (I think) and American versions about two young preppy boys who get into a house and....well, just play with the occupants mind..... The scene where the guy gets something in the fridge and you only hear the sounds.... Oh, and wait for the ending... So "brutal"

4- 28 days and 28 weeks later... From Danny Boyle.... Best Zombies ever.... They run fast......

I love horror...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

BTW.... Great thread...

Simon

The Spyderco Cookbook
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

I love zombies.... Look at my Avatar.....!!!!!

Simon

The Spyderco Cookbook
dete

Post by dete »

I just saw
Midnight Meat Train
on fearnet.com

director Ryuhei Kitamura!
story by Clive Barker!

has a few surprising stars in here.

definitely worth checking out
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

psimonl wrote:I loved all the 80's horror movies.... Tried to get into the torture thing like Hostel and Saw (first one was great).... But never found the true horror I felt when I was young........

Until.....

1- The Spanish Original Version of [REC] About zombies contaminated by a possessed 7 feet skinny tall girl

2- A tale of two sisters.... Taiwanese story about two sisters back from you don't know where and hating their step mother...

3- "Funny games" the Danish (I think) and American versions about two young preppy boys who get into a house and....well, just play with the occupants mind..... The scene where the guy gets something in the fridge and you only hear the sounds.... Oh, and wait for the ending... So "brutal"

4- 28 days and 28 weeks later... From Danny Boyle.... Best Zombies ever.... They run fast......

I love horror...

Simon
Funny Games.... That...... THAT MOVIE. I was at the lake last summer with my now ex-Girlfriend, and she decided we should watch it because it looked, 'funny.'

****, that movie is just messed up. I'm not sure what it is, but it's just disturbing. I wasn't really scared so much as I wish I wasn't watching it. I can't believe I still remember that entire movie. It was just a random movie her parents brought up, I haven't seen it since. It's haunting in an odd way.

I agree with your #4, best Zombies ever. None of this lumbering brain dead zombie NONSENSE, these are olympic sprinterequse Humanity killing Zombies! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Great movies.

Ahem. As Halloween looms near, I find I love it. Just a nice atmosphere.
may it not be tricksy
Michael Cook

Henry freaked me out for weeks

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Henry: portrait of a serial killer. Reeely reeely scary.
John Carpenters The Thing. great gags that work every time, the flinching blood always makes me jump!
Cannibal Holocaust. The most Lovecraftianly powerful evil movie out there. CH is so horrible and vile the viewer is diminished and tainted and scarred.
I recommend the first two. :spyder:
th0m

Post by th0m »

I think it's hard to rate horror films. You either go by the quality of the movie or by their ability to scare.

I for example love "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", "Nosferatu" and "The Phantom Carriage", but you can hardly call them scary.

Movies that actually scared the crap out of me was of course "REC" and "A Tale of Two Sisters". I also liked "Eden Lake" and I don't ever think a movie has pissed me off as much as that one (man, I wanted to teach those kids a lesson, preferably using a baseball bat).
sah

Post by sah »

Check out Rob Zombies' Halloween remakes.IMHO they are as good as the 80' first two. :D
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

sah wrote:Check out Rob Zombies' Halloween remakes.IMHO they are as good as the 80' first two. :D
Scared at first, I was pleasently surprise by his version.... his first "hill has eyes" was quite good, but the sequal (I don't think was made by him) was nothing but the worst...

Simon

The Spyderco Cookbook
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I used to be terrified of Nightmare on Elm Street when i was younger. Irony of a man with a knife glove used to terrify me but i love knives now. Of course his appearance was a big thing when you're 5. Robert Englund was awesome as freddy and when you see him in interviews and stuff and you hear him talk you think to yourself NO WAY. 28 Days Later was a crazy movie. I liked it. Anyone saw Zombieland? Not really scarey but HILARIOUS I loved that movie i wanna get it on DVD when it comes out . Paranormal Activity was a scarey movie for me. BUT..I've had some experiences of my own and it's kinda freaky to see it on film and think THATS HAPPENED TO ME. Makes you wonder. I can't wait to see The Fourth Kind with Mila Jovavich.