What is your sharpest knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

What is your sharpest knife?

Post by vampyrewolf »

Just finished touching up the edge on my first CKE, hitting rotation again for a few days. Didn't have to do anything to the edge on my police before putting it in rotation.

Got me thinking (I know, dangerous ground there)... What is the sharpest knife you have, preferably not still with the edge it came with but from your own efforts.

I'd say this little CKE is just stupid sharp right now, even blows my fb01 moran out of the water at the moment. And the moran is on the top end of my edges.

I'd say that the CKE fixed (one of Craig's first batch) and my ZDP caly jr tie for the spot of sharpest. I spent well over an hour on my caly jr this last weekend as an escape from family, and now really have to be careful with it. But this little guy shaves a path clean on the first pass without any pressure. I might have to try shaving my face with it and see how far it gets.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's an old Imperial carbon steel cheapie from 15 years ago. The blade has been sharpened down into an almost tanto shape but it will shave easier than any razor I've ever tried. It must have been an especially clean batch of steel.

I miss the old made in Ireland imperials. I had a barlow for years I could use to shave during my long weeks, months , years ( over 15) of double shifting two 8 hour jobs, plus one part time job running a website. I'd fall asleep during conversations online ( live chat).

I have actually fallen asleep standing up with my eyes wide open, every time I blinked I'd see the dream was running.

All I could do was exercise to keep going ( led to me being a weight lifting junkie and the beginning of several ruined joints that have been/still need to be rebuilt)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tom Krein reground (FFG) Jigged Bone Kiwi, Even though I probably don't get it as sharp as it was when it came back from Tom, it's still the closest thing to a fresh Gillette "Super Blue" that I own.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
catamount

Post by catamount »

My Frankensteined E4 Wave reground to full flat (.01" edge) by Tom Krein.

I carry it, but have hardly used it. Saving the edge for when I REALLY need it ;)
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

PE Caly Jr ZDP, scary sharp :eek:
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

A little Opinel #6, full flat grind with 0.005" behind the edge. The hossom forager has more behind the edge than opinel's blade thickness.

th0m

Post by th0m »

My small classic Sebenza with micarta inlays, dual thumb lugs and silver hardware I had a while back (man, I miss that knife). I managed to freehand it so that it didn't shave armhair anymore, it sliced right into the skin.

I ended up selling it after a while since I couldn't really justify owning a $435 knife, but maaaan that was a nice blade.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

nice opinel photo, jzmtl. i'm a big fan of these little blades.

which makes me think... hmmm... maybe it's time to pick up a new one? :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Caly Jr. with AUS-8 blade. Easy to sharpen and then slices many things with no noticeable resistance.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

clovisc wrote:nice opinel photo, jzmtl. i'm a big fan of these little blades.

which makes me think... hmmm... maybe it's time to pick up a new one? :D
Thanks, yeah it doesn't help they are so dang cheap too. :o
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

My sharpest? That's a tough one.

At the moment, I'm reprofiling my CQC-8 to a 20-degree angle, and it's coming out pretty darn sharp.

Then again, my Lone Wolf T2 with its flat grind is very sharp.

And my Sage 2.......
Welll ****, they're all **** sharp!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Last week my Pink Delica received some reprofiling and stropping/polishing. I whittled a hair, which is a first for me. I will also second the Mastiff's vote for old carbon steel Imperials or Schrades. Sometimes those old thin carbon bladed knives are scary. How I wish there was a 1095 Spydie... :rolleyes:
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ruben7681

Post by ruben7681 »

i recently purchased a spyderco tenacious and a spyderco police 3 at my local knife store, and to my surprise the tenacious is sharper than the police. so my sharpest knife is the tenacious. does anyone have any suggestions, where i can send my police 3 to have a more aggressive edge put on it?
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Mine is a Emerson CQC-7 that I put a convex edge on, it's a razor and has bitten me more times then I can count.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Tank

Post by Tank »

These two are probably the sharpest.
-John
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

Right now it would be a toss up between the M4 Mule, BG42 Millie or Rekat Fang w/1095
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

seems to me that the CalyJr ZDP PE has the hands down sharpest blade
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have six knives that I consider to be my sharpest
1) Ronin
2) Yojimbo
3) Rampage
4) A Rob Dalton Custom Double edge switchblade OTF
5) and an Old original AG Russel Sting Double edge dagger (circa 1977)
6) Eric Draven Custom Kiridashi

I know I cheated...but then again I have close to 2,000 bladed tools, so I figure It's only fair I get to choose 6.....Doc: :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

yeah but from what I hear those Kiridashi's are in their's own little world of sharp. Shouldn't be able to get cut looking at a knife.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

This at the moment:

A pretty close second is a Japanese Usuba kitchen knife.

Sharpest folder is probably a BG42 Millie since it was stropped last :D