Anyone Own a Savage Model 24?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

Anyone Own a Savage Model 24?

Post by clovisc »

Adding a Savage Model 24 to my arsenal... vintage 1960s firearm in .22 WMR over 20 gauge. Anyone have experience with one of these? Or pictures to share? :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Manix Guy 2

Hi Clovisc

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

My brother has owned one since he was a kid and I have handled it myself . The Savage of this era is a very well built combo for the money , great for rabbit and squirrel . They are somewhat of a collector in my area as finding one in mint condition is rare because most were a hard use hunter . For me the early Savage models have a warm spot , a first year Savage 99 lwt. in 308 Win. with case hardened lever and brass tumbler was in my collection for several years along with 250-3000 model . Regards MG2
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'll probably use mine for grouse every once and a while... and just shoot it for fun here and there. seems like it disassembles for easy carry, and would be good for packing on a camping trip... although up here, my usual camping/hiking gun is a .45-70 lever action.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

My parents have a Savage 24-V (.222 over 20 gauge). This is my mom's gun, and since she's fairly short, the stock was cut down some to fit her better. The smith who did the stock work did a very good job -- it looks like a factory youth stock and you can't tell it was cut down unless you compare it to an unmodified gun.

I don't know exactly how old it is. I know they got it sometime before 1972, because they had it when we lived in Arizona and we moved from AZ to another state in 1972.

I agree that these are neat guns. They make a great "survival" gun, since they're mechanically simple with few parts to break and they break down easily for storage or carry.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

clovisc wrote:... although up here, my usual camping/hiking gun is a .45-70 lever action.
Sorry to detour, but Clovisc, why didn't you choose to go with one of the newer whizz-bang cartridges (.444 or .450 Marlin) ?

Before they were made illegal down here I had a AR-7 .22! Now that was a great little survival gun. Packed down into the stock and it even floated.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Awww geeez Clawhammer ! You're making me cry now about the whole situation here in Oz about all of the outlawed things which we could be playing around with :(

Very nice USS .22 - haven't seen these actually.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

very cool gun, clawhammer!

as far as why .45-70 ... the choice ultimately came down to ammo availability here on my island. .45-70 ammo is always in stock, with a few different options... not the other stuff. when the .444 and .450 stuff appears, it is usually far more expensive.

but then, using totally non-parallel logic, i ended up going with 7mm rem mag over 30-06. :rolleyes: although, the 7mm rem mag ammo is always plentiful in ketchikan.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Yeah, Same here. I beleive the 45-70 is still factory downloaded to blackpowder pressures so that anyone can put new shells in their great-grandpappy's lever gun from 1897 :) . .444 and .450 Marlin make perfect sense for the modern day guns but .444 is already getting hard to get even brass for...and I'm not sure how long .450Marlin will be readily available. But just about anywhere here you can get 45-70, 30-30, .243 and .303. Maybe I can handload the 45-70 up into the modern era.

P.S.
My holy grail is a Stainless Ruger No.1 in 7mm Rem Mag. :cool:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

where i live, it can be hard to find .30-30 ammo! people keep panic-buying it like crazy. there was a period of 2-3 months where there was simply none available... drove my girlfriend (who has a 1941 winchester 94 in .30-30) crazy. now she stockpiles.

.45-70 is also the traditional choice for southeast alaska. :D

in the next month or two, i'll be getting into reloading. probably via the lee loader kits. that'll make things way less complicated... but also, way more complicated... :D
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

I own a Stevens 22-410 which later became the Savage model 24. Mine obviously is a .22 over .410. I used it squirrel hunting the other day. It's a great gun that my grandfather originally purchased in the early 1940's. It was re-blued a few years ago but otherwise is stock and in great shape for being almost 70 years old.