Los Banos type M?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
docwatson

Los Banos type M?

Post by docwatson »

Anyone familar with this one, I havn't seen a real one, but like the looks of it, may have to pull the trigger and order one, read up on Los Banos, seems to be a knife design genious. Another one I was wondering about is the Blackhawk Crucible II, opinions?
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Looking back at my old review http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33589, apparently I've had it for just about 1.5 years.

I recieved both an M-Type and Hyper from Chad. The Hyper sits in my drawer at work, actually used it again today (friday) to open 2 boxes to swap a test chassis over.

The M-type sits on my shelf about 2 feet from this chair, used for anything I need to cut when I'm sitting here. Packages, envelopes, bags, paper, food. Lock is still stiff and it's only been sharpened 4-5x so far.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I really love the Hyper by Chad, it's a great little knife...I have the M-type as well but to be perfectly honest it is probably my least favorite Chad Los Bano Knife and I'm a big fan of Chad's work. Chad has so many designs that are much better and you should really check them all out. I don't want to convince you not to get an M-type, but you really need to take a look at some of his greatest designs, The Direkt, an awesome knife for a folder....the RNR fixed blade which I just did a review for Boker (posted on this forum),and the SubcomFB if your interested in a fixed blade knife and the KIng of his fixed blades is the MPT which are all beyond terrific, easy to carry do everything kinda knife. The G4 Tactical folder which is a new release, and Modified Wharncliffe is a dynamite knife for the money, I will be doing a review of this knife in a short while) but I'll give you a little advanced info...in my meat tests is cut clean with no felt resistance a full 3-3 1/4" into meat on slashing and cutting techniques, are you looking for a SD knife maybe? , The Hyper and Trance are just little gems and are super all around general cutting tools as is the Spyderco Lava and Subcom variants.. And the list goes on. You are right Chad is a knife design genius. Heck get them all, not a one will disappoint you for sure....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

thanks for the response, very helpful and informative. I really need to get somewhere to handle the different types otherwise start ordering.
spydo

Post by spydo »

Hi. You should check one awesome review on Chad's web site: http://www.clbdesign.info...
Avatar in support of my favorite designer! CLB rocks!!!!
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Very solid knife but not bulky or too heavy. Lock release can be stiff, though mine eased a bit over time.
~ Nate
dialex

Post by dialex »

Indeed, Chad is a great man and a talented knife designer. I had to privilege of seing many of his concepts and I can say some of them are really fantastic. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Post by 224477 »

You cant go wrong with any of CLB designs ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

The M-type is one of the most robust folders I've tried and tested..

Its simple to operate and requires very little field maintenance.

The M-Type and Hyper

It was also picked at the Forum knives of my country..

Sam :D
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

great response going to order one, as my first los banos.
untamed

Post by untamed »

Chiming in late.

Been a long day at the office so can't fully extol how great of an EDC it is. Suffice to say that M-Type is one of the best values out there in terms of a melding of price-point and design. You WON'T be sorry you got one!

That being said I've also been a silent champion of BHB's Crucible since sometime back. I must admit, when I held one it was initially because I was a fan of KM, but it turns the design works great. IMHO, it has excellent ergo's for both utility and defense and one of the best production liner locks ever (that's coming from someone who isn't too fond of liner locks!)

Get the FX fixed-blade version then if you're so inclined to match with your M-Type folder.
untamed

Post by untamed »

(Saw this at BF. . .)

Just to highlight how awesome a knife the "M" is, here's a review by a NAVY SEAL and giving his solid endorsement. Link to Chad's site -

http://www.clbdesign.info/content/view/55/121/
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

funny you should mention the crucible, one just came in the mail, as soon as i get home I will be ripping that box open, I am still going to get a type M.
untamed

Post by untamed »

^ Pure sweetness! 2 great knives (other than Spydies that is)! You are definitely one lucky guy!