Big Fixed Blade for EDC/SD

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Big Fixed Blade for EDC/SD

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Everybody knows I'm a big fan of Michael Janich's "Yojimbo" as well as the small fixed blade that thinks it's a big knife or at least cuts like one... the "Ronin". I do carry one of each for EDC SD along with a Chinook II and Waved Endura. All of these fine knives serve in a back up position to a much larger fixed blade, dedicated to the role as the major knife to reach for when SHTF. Throughout many years of carrying large fixed blades in that role, from Military Style sheath knives from makers like SOG, Kabar, Glock and Ontario, Bowie Knives in varying blade lenghts, a collection of large RATS, Custom Sub-Hilt Fighting Knives and Custom Double Edged Daggers, Large Tanto Knives like the Hissatsu, Filipino Kris knives and the list goes on and on and on and on....
Always searching for that one perfect fighting tool in a large package. For the past year I have been carrying a large fixed blade made by Spyderco....everytime I slap something else into my waistband, I always go back to that one Spyderco. It is large and lively in the hand, it has incredible cutting, slicing and thrusting ability. Comma Cuts with this knife specially into meat is awesome. The knife is lightweight, easy to carry, made from H1 Steel, and gets sharper and sharper each time I sharpen it. This magnificent fighting fixed blade is billed as a camping knife...By now you probably guess it...Ed Schempp designed my large fixed blade fighting knife, that I won't leave home without and trust my life to on a daily basis God Forbid I should ever have to use it. I love my "Rock Salt" and will continue to EDC it for SD.
PS: I don't have any plans to take it camping!......Doc :D
An interesting side note: My Rock Salt is the only knife in my entire life I ever traded for...I traded a Spyderco Commemorative Worker for it...who ever said good things come in small packages was dead wrong....
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

great thread, and great choice, doc!

i have to agree with you that the rock salt is the be-all, end-all of fixed blades. there couldn't possibly be a better survival/camping/hiking blade. it's awesome for batoning... and mine has taken apart many a salmon. :D :D :D

i also take comfort in the fact that it would serve as an excellent SD fixed blade, if the need arose.

my only beef with it is the sheath, which i wish held the blade more securely.

before the rock salt, my primary fixed blade was my BM fecas offsider. not nearly as amazing... but the sheath held the knife more securely...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
untamed

Post by untamed »

Interestingly enough, the Rock Salt ranks very high on my wish list. I've only seen it in pictures but I have not doubt it would feel very "alive" in the hand even though it was billed as an outdoors knife. Being of H1 steel makes it all the more intriguing.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used/alcoholized kidney to finance my Christmas stocking stuffer? :P
untamed

Post by untamed »

Interestingly enough, the Rock Salt ranks very high on my wish list. I've only seen it in pictures but I have no doubt it would feel very "alive" in the hand even though it is billed as an outdoors knife. Being of H1 steel makes it all the more intriguing.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used/alcoholized kidney to finance my Christmas stocking stuffer? :p
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Doc...pictures, please :) .
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I'm intrigued! I've seen pictures of this knife, and it looks as if it would be a winner. Doc's pronouncement as such is good enough for me.

What's the price point on one of these babies?
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Here's a link to a pic and description 2edge
and Jim they can be had for around two hundred, which is a great price IIRC the original MSRP was over 300....Doc :D

http://blog.knifecenter.com/spyderco-ro ... ing-blade/
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Thanks, Doc. That price isn't bad, considering the performance that the knife offers.

H1 is rust-proof, correct?
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Jimd wrote:Thanks, Doc. That price isn't bad, considering the performance that the knife offers.

H1 is rust-proof, correct?
Yes.....Rust Proof for sure....One of my students Lost a Pacific Salt H1 off a friend's dock in one the harbors off Long Island Sound....he knew where he dropped it but didn't get a chance to retrieve it for almost a year....using a clam rake he was able to pull it out with silt and seaweed attached....No rust! Amazing...Doc :D

mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Doc, have you done a meat test with the Rock Salt? I just snagged one, so it would be cool to know what its capable of.

Also, how do you carry that thing as an EDC?

Thanks!
Mark

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for your valueable input Doc., it seems like you go camping to town.
It makes me think of a traditional philipines Bolo when I look at that one. However, for places where I move usually, without the badge, it wouldnt be an option for me. For camping? I would take one for sure, if I had one.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I agree fully ! This so called 'camping knife' I finally managed to get today. After one year of Persian and Kopa distractions I decided to get one (bloody a week or two before the price drop !!! :( ).

I like it.... I like it a lot :D It is so very well balanced and very fast in the hand. I was amazed at how well it fitted into my hand and how it felt like an extension of my body !

Unfortunately I can't EDC this where I live and thus it will primarily be a BBQ and garden knife - my neighbour's gum tree won't know what hit it :D

I might need a spare :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

mark greenman wrote:Doc, have you done a meat test with the Rock Salt? I just snagged one, so it would be cool to know what its capable of.

Also, how do you carry that thing as an EDC?

Thanks!
Mark
Ay Mark, Yes I tested this baby on Meat....OMG!!!!....The results are unpublished...but I'll tell you this...The meat inside the pant leg was 5" thick with lots of fat on it....The Rock Salt went right through the whole darn thing without any felt resistance. It cut so smooth and clean I thought at first I missed my target. The comma cuts, once thrust into the meat were incredible, after I could place three fingers into the hole no problem. This is no camping knife for sure....It screams SD for those who have the nerve to carry one ;) ....Doc :D

BTW: I carry mine IWB right in front of my strong side .357 magnun on my hip...the G Clip is great for IWB carry.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Jimd wrote:I'm intrigued! I've seen pictures of this knife, and it looks as if it would be a winner. Doc's pronouncement as such is good enough for me.

What's the price point on one of these babies?
Cutlery Shoppe is practically giving these away for $108. I've wanted one for quite some time and jumped at the chance to score one at that price. The knife is great, feels wonderful in the hand, and just begs to cut stuff. I agree with clovisc that the only problem with it is that the sheath doesn't seem to hold the knife securely. But at this price, I can afford to get a Hobbit Warrior style sheath made for it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jabba359 wrote:Cutlery Shoppe is practically giving these away for $108. I've wanted one for quite some time and jumped at the chance to score one at that price. The knife is great, feels wonderful in the hand, and just begs to cut stuff. I agree with clovisc that the only problem with it is that the sheath doesn't seem to hold the knife securely. But at this price, I can afford to get a Hobbit Warrior style sheath made for it.
I don't have a problem with my sheath...yes the knife wobbles a bit in the sheath but retention is still good...I can turn mine upside down and it will not fall from the sheath...So don't worry about a little wobble, I think this is pretty normal for such a big knife in kydex...FWIW....Doc :D

dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

jabba359 wrote:Cutlery Shoppe is practically giving these away for $108. I've wanted one for quite some time and jumped at the chance to score one at that price. The knife is great, feels wonderful in the hand, and just begs to cut stuff. I agree with clovisc that the only problem with it is that the sheath doesn't seem to hold the knife securely. But at this price, I can afford to get a Hobbit Warrior style sheath made for it.
You all gotta stop saying things like that. I've promised myself to skip this one and that I have no need for this knife ever since I saw the Shoppe deal. Every time I read these threads, I almost end up going back on my promise. The picture of the knife in hand almost had me pulling out the credit card.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I don't have a problem with my sheath...yes the knife wobbles a bit in the sheath but retention is still good...I can turn mine upside down and it will not fall from the sheath...So don't worry about a little wobble, I think this is pretty normal for such a big knife in kydex...FWIW....Doc :D
Awww, you're taking away my justification for getting the sheath made that I really want! ;) I'm sure I can still rationalize getting one made if I try hard enough...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jabba359 wrote:Awww, you're taking away my justification for getting the sheath made that I really want! ;) I'm sure I can still rationalize getting one made if I try hard enough...
Go for it Jabba!...This way you will have a least two sheaths for a great knife.... :cool: ;) ...Doc :D

mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ay Mark, Yes I tested this baby on Meat....OMG!!!!....The results are unpublished...but I'll tell you this...The meat inside the pant leg was 5" thick with lots of fat on it....The Rock Salt went right through the whole darn thing without any felt resistance. It cut so smooth and clean I thought at first I missed my target. The comma cuts, once thrust into the meat were incredible, after I could place three fingers into the hole no problem. This is no camping knife for sure....It screams SD for those who have the nerve to carry one ;) ....Doc :D

BTW: I carry mine IWB right in front of my strong side .357 magnun on my hip...the G Clip is great for IWB carry.
Doc, your awesome. I was having some difficulty justifying why I needed the Rock Salt, but no longer. Your tests never cease to impress-they were the reason I bought my Yojimbo, and now its in my top 5 favorite folders. I'm sure the Rock Salt will try to wiggle its way in too :D

Thanks!
Mark
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The rock salt will split coconuts and still shave of course thats not with the factory edge i'm not saying the factory edge won't do it but i put a microbevel on it first. Split two coconuts with it and it still cuts. Coconuts are harder than a human skull think about it. BUY ONE i think i need another but i got a hossum Forester coming in if only they made a non h-1 rock salt with FFG