Grilling

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Noble

Grilling

Post by Noble »

Ladies and Gents,

I grill nearly 4 out of 7 days a week here year round. One of the perks living in Hawaii. (For argument sake, grilling is NOT BBQ'ing, but i do BBQ too) I do alot of steamed fish on the Grill. I got a good earfull from my grammy when I accidentally reversed the foil to shiny side out. I was taught to do shiny side out, but granny tells me its shiny side IN. Needless to say, my fish was still just as tasty and Everyone was smiling while eating it so ULTIMATE mission accomplished, BUT......IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE?????

Hope granny's not reading this! :rolleyes:
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I think grammy is theoretically correct. Since the shiny side reflects more light it probably also reflects more heat. It's hard to imagine that it make that much difference, but in the absence of scientific data, ya gotta go with grammy's experience.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
hickster

Post by hickster »

Practically speaking, no difference at all.
hickster
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Well when Grammy is around thats the correct way, but it probably does not matter. Have you ever used taro or banana leaves, like lau lau?
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

mrappraisit wrote:Well when Grammy is around thats the correct way, but it probably does not matter. Have you ever used taro or banana leaves, like lau lau?

Yes and it is amazing.
Noble

Post by Noble »

mrappraisit wrote:Well when Grammy is around thats the correct way, but it probably does not matter. Have you ever used taro or banana leaves, like lau lau?
Yeah, like freediver says, it is very good. Taro leaves can be eaten when made right. If the person cooking it doesnt do it right, it will trigger an alergic-kind-of itch in your throat. And the banana leaves are mainly used for wrapping things that will be steamed. I dont recall any recipes in which my family uses it as the edible part, but some people might.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sounds like fun, we grill all year in the firehouse... but mostly i just grill in the non-blizzard months at home, i have never BBQ'd yet. as for the 2 sides: Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?
Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitc ... od_id=3200
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Noble

Post by Noble »

Now all i gotta do is convince Tony to give me the secret firehouse chili recipe and my mission is complete ;)

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

grilling out on the beaches here is one of my favorite past times. just have a limited number of rainless days to do it.

my favorite foods to grill... brats, coho salmon, king salmon, and beef ribs... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Donovan808 wrote:Now all i gotta do is convince Tony to give me the secret firehouse chili recipe and my mission is complete ;)
believe it or not i am not that big of a chili fan, i don't like beans. any other recipe that you want that i have is all yours :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
MaxStatic

Post by MaxStatic »

clovisc wrote: just have a limited number of rainless days to do it.
Ahh yes, I remember the days of grill'n in the rain. :D I miss home terribly!
Noble

Post by Noble »

tonydahose wrote:believe it or not i am not that big of a chili fan, i don't like beans. any other recipe that you want that i have is all yours :)
Maybe we can swap a few, suprise your firehouse with some Hawaiian delights :D

Thanks Tony.