ROP Modded 2D Maglite

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

ROP Modded 2D Maglite

Post by clovisc »

Okay... forget the Fenix TK40 I was wondering about... anyone have a ROP-modded maglite? I'm curious about the personal experience of fellow spyderco forumites...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

what is a ROP mod?
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Google "Roar of Pelican"

No I don't have one, but they interest me muchly.
There are some real beasts out there.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

$100+ dollars for a flashlight thats really really bright for 20 minutes and from the sounds of things will get extremely hot. I guess I fail to see the draw in a mod like this, when its completely dark, how much light do you really need to see. Thats got to kill your night vision instantly as soon as you fire it up, turn it on once and your eyes will adjust again in say 30 minutes? :D . I will stick with my LED flashlights :D
MLR

Post by MLR »

i got one and love it. massive light output, excellent throw. 6xEneloop AA in a 2D mag body.
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

Hi

There's a whole bunch of flashaholics (yes, guilty) over @ CandlePowerForums:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?
Here's a thread that may interest you:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=120462

Enjoy your addiction :D
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

If you are willing to spend 100+ on your mag mod you should look into the classic Mag85 mod which will blow the ROP out of the water. You can find all the parts to build on on CPF. A bit ridiculous and totally impractical at night...but its oh so fun!
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
raven

Post by raven »

clovisc wrote:Okay... forget the Fenix TK40 I was wondering about... anyone have a ROP-modded maglite? I'm curious about the personal experience of fellow spyderco forumites...
Hey clovisc, I don't have any experience with the maglite, but shoot our Bro MONOCROM a PM ... he's a flashlight guru ;) . He'll probably be able to give you some info, or point you in the right direction. Hope this helps a bit. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

I made myself the Mag85. Truthfully I had forgotten its name. When I did the Mag85, LED's weren't near this bright. I liked the LED's more, but wanted the incandescent brightness of the Mag85. After building it, owning such a awesomely bright flashlight, I focused more on knives.

In spite of not needing more flashlights, I really want a FenixTK40 . Because with its multiple brightness settings and using AA batteries plus being so bright, the TK40 can do it all. IMO
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

interesting stuff, guys. the mag85 looks pretty intense, as well.

i'm not wayyyy up north, but sunlight here gets extremely limited in the winter. i'm looking into giving my flashlight EDC an upgrade... i'm thinking something really small (like a fenix LD01) for easy in-pocket EDC... and then something i can hike with easily that can be used to blast the bejesus out of the woods when i go out on sasquatch searches. :D :D :D :eek:

these modded lights sound incredible... but somewhat cumbersome, and complicated to piece together... (ordering from lots of different places...)

the fenix TK40 seems pretty versatile, but i worry about the complicated controls. and the possibility of them going out. something mysterious happened to my L2D, and now it only does the brightest setting, and the strobe...

right now, in addition to the L2D, i also have an inova X5, and a surefire C2. plus some cheaper beater lights i loan out. i want to hang on to the L2D and C2 (helps to have an extra light hanging out in your pack and vehicle, just in case)... may give the X5 away to a friend...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

raven wrote:Hey clovisc, I don't have any experience with the maglite, but shoot our Bro MONOCROM a PM ... he's a flashlight guru ;) . He'll probably be able to give you some info, or point you in the right direction. Hope this helps a bit. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bro. :)

I'd be happy to help anyone with their flashlight related questions. For those who'd like to investigate the subject on their own, please stop by Candle Power Forums. (Very family friendly site).

The ROP mod is one of the easiest out there. No cutting, no trimming, no expensive parts needed. Just swap out a few parts, and you've got a ROP Maglite. It's basically what a Maglite flashlight would be with top of the line parts installed.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
roguesoul

I just bought a Tk40. It'll be here this coming week

Post by roguesoul »

After this thread re-sparked my desire for the TK40, I read up on it. And bought one. Thanks a lot. :)

Tk40 has more of a flood beam. Which I like.

Mag flashlights and modified Mags have beams that are tightly focused. Good for throwing the beam a long distance.

One time while using the Mag85 I ran into some neighborhood residents. They said to me "So your the guy with the bright lights."

These lights are great. When you use them people know they are seeing something unusual, an unnaturally bright light in the dark so-to-speak.

Go for it.