Aussie, Aussie, Aussie !!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ozspyder

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie !!!

Post by ozspyder »

Seems to me there are many Aussies here who appreciate Spyderco products :)

Thought I'd just do a roll call to see who here is an Aussie (either in Oz or ex-pats).

Post in here, tell us a bit about yourselves where you are from etc... and generally start a 'virtual pub' here in Spyderco land :D C'mon don't be shy boys. Register your Aussie'ness here, pull up a chair and crack the top off a cold one :D

Also add some cool Aussie terms which are perculiar to our great brown land as a bit of fun and education to our worldwide mates ;) ( EDIT: here's a link for our non Aussies who want to know a bit more about the largest island in the world: http://www.australia.com
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia )

I'll start :cool:
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi my name is Daniel :)

I was formerly datan in these forums up until recently (thanks Kristi), but decided that it was time for a more appropriate name to reflect my geographical location as well as my addiction :D

I was made in Malaysia, raised in my teens in New Zealand, and have been living in Australia for the last 18 years. Now married with kids etc in Sydney, NSW :)

I discovered Spyderco a few years ago and have been trying to collect - now trying to use - every single one of their lineup LOL :p

Vegemite tastes nice to me - but only on hot buttery toast !

Some Aussie terms:
Esky - cooler/ chilly bin
Vegemite - known to some American cousins as boot polish !
Frothy chops - beer
Thongs - flip flops, jandals..... or the underwear kind :)
Tinny - either a beer (as in a tin can) or a small metal rowboat (as in a tin boat)
Footy - football/ soccer/ rugby union/ rugby league (basically anything involving grown men throwing or kicking an inflated ball around on a field)
Bush - forest, desert, wild (anything representing absence of civilisation)
Dunny/ bog - restroom, toilet, convenience facilities
Barbie - Barbie (doll) or Barbeque/ grill
Cheers
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Dan, old mate. Spotted you hangin out ere all by yourself,like a shag on a rock so I thought I'de come on in to join ya. Sittin ere avin a coldie after a hard days work laying concrete, Carlton MID tinnies. Actually fiddling with a SpyFOX while I tap on the keys, one finger like an old chook.
The smell of good aussie beef cooking is coming from the kitchen & I am looking on my FAVOURITE forum, so life is good.
I live out in the sticks a bit, in S.E. Queensland, nearest towns are 40 k one way & another 35 k the other way. these two towns supply me with more building work than I can handle, booked out to May 2010 & they are still coming.
My wife & I, have a great home with amazing Feng shui & it meets my three main requirements for where I want to live.
1. I can't hear the neighbours bloody dog's barking.
2. I can step outside to pee anywhere & any time I like.
3. I can shoot a 308 Win off my verandah & the cop's dont turn up.
Like it used to be every where in rural Australia
Fifth gen aussie born & liked it more the way it was & not where its going.
Bye for now, gotta go eat that steak.
O.
matt009au

Post by matt009au »

Gday I'm Matt
I havent been a member here long but felt compelled to post in this thread.
From Perth Western Australia been here pretty much my entire life. Became a bit of a knife nut in my early teens (much to my mums displeasure) mainly through sailing alot and fishing. Only recently became interested in Spydercos after a work mate who used to be in the SAS reccomended them to me as he recconed they were the best production knives that he had ever used. So after lurking around here for a while and reading some reviews purchased a d2 para while they were on sale at the online store and havent looked at another brand since. Right now im saving my pennies for a Rock Lobster.
How good is the ashes atm, dirty poms cheating their way to a draw

as for the slang heres a few i could think of off the top of my head
White Maggots - Footy Umpires
Turps - alcohol
Stubby - 375ml bottle of beer
Bogan- slob who loves his beer and his v8 ute
Bludger- lazy person, who expects something for no work
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

G'day 'nutha heathen from Down Under! :D

I also live in Perth, used to support the Fremantle Dockers but don't want to talk about that bunch of no-goods, Aussie Rules to you foreigners, a game played by men who don't wear armour!

Also very fond of Rugby Union and League, they wear a little bit of padding but mostly to make sure they look good! ;)

Me I was born a Brit, have worked and lived all over Europe and Scandinavia, as well as all the good and bad places in the UK but moved to Australia 15+ years ago and have never really looked back since. My kids have been raised here and are true Aussies in outlook and beliefs. I've also lived in NZ for 4+ years, another truly wonderful country! :D

We're only a small Nation population-wise but have a HUGE island continent of which almost 85% (if not more) is beach! Come and visit you won't regret it (unless you are a Pom rugby Union supporter........ :D ).

We have a small but dedicated group of knife collectors and especially Spyderco collectors, but we are, or tend to be pretty active.

Funny words to you Expats...........

arvo = afternoon

It took me months to work that one out.......... :p :p :p

Regards,

BRIAN
Ferreter

Post by Ferreter »

We keep coming out of the woodwork down here :D

I live in Sydney, have done all my life. First came into contact with Spyderco's when I saw this odd looking knife/plier thingy (original SpydeRench) on sale at a shop and thought it might be worth getting.

That was the first in a long list of Spydies that I have acquired including Fred the large grey Spyder that runs around my place with my Spydie knives insisting that I need to buy more! :D

More of a saying than just a word but:

Wallaby Bill's brother = Roo Ted = stuffed or broken in some way
Ferreter

Fred's got all my Spydies :eek:
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Guilty as charged.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

judderbar = Speedhump - learnt that a few days ago from a kiwi woman at work

im another aussie spyderknut, born in northern WA Port Hedland, lived in perth since i was about 5

have got a bunch of spydies, been collecting them around 5 years, have around 50 of them, including a SE+PE set of Toads, Jot Singh Khalsa, Merlins

havent bought any spydies in while, just havent had the disposable income.
power is nothing without control
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

Hi.
Born in adelaide in the 60's, moved to NSW until 1980, then moved to USA.
Now live in California. (Parents are back living in adelaide).
Spyderco is my favorite brand with best combo of features, value, reliability and ethics.
Most recent is the Sage RIL. Fits my hand very well, feels like a valuable old friend already.

http://spyderco.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1238875450

peace
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Might as well Dan.

Born in NZ, came to Sydney when I was 4, been here since. Started an interest in Spydies in about late 06 when I dug out a Spyderco '03 catalogue, wanted a Lil' Temp, found it was disco'd, but got one when they released that last little trickle of them.

I'm not as big a collector as some others *cough* Dan&Brian *cough*, but I've had a Mini Persian as my light duty knife for some time now (thanks Arend!).
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

G'day Dan,

I've been around here from the very beginning, although I don't post as much as I used to. Not spending as much on Spydies as I used to either, three high maintenance kids will do that to you :( . I'm in Sydney also, perhaps we could organise a 'show and tell' for the Sydney brothers.

cheers,
clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
Argus

Post by Argus »

My first post.
Aussie and Spyderco go hand in hand. Great minds think a like.
Kiwi (NZ) too.

You know this though :p

:spyder:
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Well well my Aussie brothers slowly coming out to play :D

Keep em coming guys! We love our Spydies here downunder ( and also across the pond with our NZ cousins). Seriously though I have been trtting my bloody hardest to convert a lot of people here in Oz with the cost/benefit aspect of owning a Spydie or two ;) :p . It seems some get used to SAKs and other more traditional blades more easily that is until they discover the joy of playing and using a Spydie :)

So .... any more uniquely Aussie terms or sayings we want to add here fellas ?
Cheers
JD Spydo

Austrailia, New Zealand, The Netherlands well represented

Post by JD Spydo »

There does seem to be a huge representation here at the Spyderco Forum from the Great Country of Austrailia. I used to also see quite a few New Zealanders here too but I haven't here lately.

There also seems to be a very large faction of guys and I assume gals too from the Netherlands as well. For the size of that country I think proportionately they might outnumber us all :o :D

Germany seems to be well represented here at Spyderville as well as from many other nations throughout Europe.

It's a great place for Spyderheads worldwide to congregate :cool: :D

I wonder if we all couldn't get diplomatic immunity being from Spyderville :D
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I suppose those SAK's are better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick, hey Dan ? Spydies really are the duck's gut's, but hey.
Hows that for Qld speak, pity we can't do the accent here.
O.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey O,

I thought it was ducks nuts ?

And yeah, Spydies aren't bad for almost near custom fit, finish and reliability. In fact, dare I say some Spydies I have are better in quality and reliability than some customs I had. Also if you lose them well.... you cry for a while but find relief that you didn't sell a kidney to get one (umm... unless you are talking about Anniversary Delica or Forum Millie or.... hahaha a number of them do go for a bit, L'il Temp anyone :D )
Cheers
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

C'mon guys,

I know there are a few more Aussies out there in Spydieland. Especially lately a few more have come out of the woodworks. Stick your hands up cos we want to see how many are out there and if you like Spydies or not... and if you intend on spreading the Spyder venom :D
Cheers
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

OY, OY, OY!

Not a true AUSSIE but lots of knife friends there and in KIWI land.
Spyderco Collector #162
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey Jess, good to see you here :) Hope that rugby jersey still fits mate :p
Cheers
ambaal

Post by ambaal »

Arrr, me be Australian too!

Originally made in Soviet Union, moved to Oz when I was a kid. Become even more dumb since then, but, as on the good side, picked up spyderco addiction that really leaves me with no spare money and happy as **** most of the time.

If only spydercos where not so ridiculously expensive and not really available here... I've tried to find a military in store for about a month...