Help looking for a fixed blade survival/Camping knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
coltsfan8116

Help looking for a fixed blade survival/Camping knife

Post by coltsfan8116 »

I am looking for a decent fixed blade knife with a 3 1/2-5 inch blade, Looking to spend around $65-$70....Something for camping,Hunting,SHTF ect...Suggestions?
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

coltsfan8116 wrote:I am looking for a decent fixed blade knife with a 3 1/2-5 inch blade, Looking to spend around $65-$70....Something for camping,Hunting,SHTF ect...Suggestions?
If you don't have one already, and you don't have restrictions on blade length over 3 1/2inches where you live, I think you'd find one of the Spyderco Bill Morans would be exactly what you're looking for. The blade is 3 7/8", the knife is nice and light, decent sheath (although I'd love to get my hands on one of the original leather sheaths), choice of drop-point or upswept tip, and you can pick one up for around $70~$75. At first, I found the handle a little small (I wear L~XL gloves) but after a few hours, it just sort of melded with my palm and fit so right. In reverse grip, it's the most comfortable, intuitive knife I've ever held. Try a Moran, you won't regret it. :)
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

If your budget can stretch just a bit, I'd suggest an Aqua Salt. I use mine for many of the scenarios you mention.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have recently become a big fan of Frosts of Sweden's Moras. For about $10 you get a great blade. It may not be the prettiest knife in the world, but man are they the best knife for the dollar out there. I have a Clipper, a Triflex Craftsman, and another that I can't recall the name of. I also picked up a big KJ Erikkson Leuku-style blade as a yard chopper and an old Broderna Jonsson Mora. All are carbon steel, but most are also available in Sandvik stainless. The Scandi edge grind is very easy to maintain.

I like the Clipper the best. For $75 you could buy a pile of them. :D
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
hickster

Post by hickster »

You really should grab a Mule in S90V. The blade is 3 5/16. It's a tough little fixed blade. S90V is an incredible steel (and the Mule is a steal at $70). It's tough, holds a great edge forever, and is about as rust resistant as you can get (short of H1). Cord wrap, plasti-dip, or make your own scales.
... and then get a cheap machete. ;)
hickster
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

+1 on the aqua salt or mora knife. i give the moras away up here as gifts to friends who need survival/camp knives... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
christopher

Post by christopher »

Second (or third) on the Aqua Salt. It's a terrific knife, and has the heft necessary to chop wood if you need to. If you don't, or if your budget won't allow it, then either of the Morans will do nicely.

Chris :) :) :)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've got a couple Eriksson 556's in my gear. At ~$10 they can be loaned out without worrying if they come back (and oddly enough they've always come back).

The spydie FB01 moran will do everything but pry and baton through wood, have been carrying mine for quite some time.

Just waiting to get handles and a sheath on my s90v mule still.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
thread

Post by thread »

...and if you're looking to pry & baton through wood, the ka-bar BK2 Companion is an excellent option:

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Knife-BK2- ... 506&sr=8-2

not unweildly-long & relatively cheap
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Rat Izula

Just got one, its a great knife for $49
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

I was thinking about getting a knife with the same specs. this thread is an interesting read.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Ontario TAK. 4 inches of 1095 steel, canvas micarta handle. Excellent, simple knife.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
coltsfan8116

Post by coltsfan8116 »

Well i went ahead and picked up a Rat RC3.....No offense to spyderco fixed blades but if i were to get one i know i would be afraid to use it and ding it up.....I know stupid but that's my OCD :D
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

coltsfan8116 wrote:Well i went ahead and picked up a Rat RC3.....No offense to spyderco fixed blades but if i were to get one i know i would be afraid to use it and ding it up.....I know stupid but that's my OCD :D
I've heard good things about the RAT-3. Let us know how it performs.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!