anyone into arcteryx stuff?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

anyone into arcteryx stuff?

Post by clovisc »

i'm enchanted by and drawn to some of arcteryx's colors and designs... but i need more shells and layers like i need a hole through the head. :rolleyes:

still, it seems a pretty classy yet practical line of clothing. but extremely expensive for made in china stuff.

i'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on arcteryx?
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
tea

Post by tea »

I have an Arc'teryx Beta AR. I drooled over it for about two years before finally giving in and spending the money. The guy at the store said, "Sure it's a lot of money, but I promise you won't regret it."

He was right.

The jacket is amazing to say the least. Premium quality and attention to detail. Well thought out features. etc etc.

It is also really tough considering how thin and light it is. A friend and I hiked mountains all winter and crazy carpeted down them. I smashed into quite a few trees- including the sharp stubby spruces on the top and came out rip free (which surprised me! and caused many sighs of relief!).

Keeping in my mind I love the cold- The gore tex on it is great too. I spent the whole winter with the jacket wearing only one or two tshirts underneath. The coldest days I would wear a regular sweater (-30, -40 with wind chill). Mind you, as I said, I love the cold. Also, it is completely water proof and wind proof as advertised.

I love the jacket and the sight of spring makes me sad.... but their are always a rainy day or two to use it in!

Go for it mate. You won't regret it.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I think arcreryx stuff is one of the nicest designs/quality out there. Although I am almost a 100% Mountain Hardware fan.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
thenick

Post by thenick »

Well being Canadian and all ... of course I love Arc'Teryx I own a Alpha SV jacket. I also have the Alpha SL pants/jacket for the summer.

The high-end stuff like the Alpha SV is made in Canada and the lower end stuff like the Beta AR or the Alpha SL are indeed made in China. The quality is all the same and your jacket is still warrantied for defects.

The only drawback of Arc'Teryx is their use of Gore-Tex instead of eVent which has a superior evaporation rate (tested by the US Mil). I have a pdf with the results if you are interested in that.

If you like that kind of clothing and want the best you might want to give a look to Rab (Made in UK) It's about the same price as Arc'Teryx and even sometimes less expensive.

The eVent material is so superior to the Gore-Tex that you don't need armpit vents on the eVent.

Any questions feel free to ask you're entering my zone. =)
.:: TheNick ::.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I've been a big fan of Arcteryx for years. I have a several of their climbing harnesses, rope bags, chalkbags, slings, backpacks, jackets, and shells. Tough stuff.

I'm also a huge fan of SIMMS. SIMMS everything...but I digress :)
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

thenick wrote:Well being Canadian and all ... of course I love Arc'Teryx I own a Alpha SV jacket. I also have the Alpha SL pants/jacket for the summer.

The high-end stuff like the Alpha SV is made in Canada and the lower end stuff like the Beta AR or the Alpha SL are indeed made in China. The quality is all the same and your jacket is still warrantied for defects.

The only drawback of Arc'Teryx is their use of Gore-Tex instead of eVent which has a superior evaporation rate (tested by the US Mil). I have a pdf with the results if you are interested in that.

If you like that kind of clothing and want the best you might want to give a look to Rab (Made in UK) It's about the same price as Arc'Teryx and even sometimes less expensive.

The eVent material is so superior to the Gore-Tex that you don't need armpit vents on the eVent.

Any questions feel free to ask you're entering my zone. =)
Yep, only gripe is that it's super expensive...would rather go for a $400 TAD Predator with superior eVent than a $600 Arc'teryx IMO. :rolleyes:
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
thenick

Post by thenick »

cyberspyder wrote:Yep, only gripe is that it's super expensive...would rather go for a $400 TAD Predator with superior eVent than a $600 Arc'teryx IMO. :rolleyes:
I'm dying to try the new TAD Predator but I can't try it and I won't order and pay duties if I'm not sure it will fit.

Arc'teryx changed their clothing a lot. In 2007 a medium jacket would fit my torso but was too short on the arms length. Now a medium fits me well enough to be able to do ice climbing (arms over the head and still long enough).

I'm rather tall and thin so I always have to try. I fail hard at using the sizing charts :|
.:: TheNick ::.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i had never heard of eVent before now... its like i live on an island, or something! ;)

the TAD Predator looks pretty great.

Mako, I also dig Simms stuff... although, I've found that Patagonia's baselayers and fleeces show less piling and wear with repeated use and washing. I picked up a Freestone rain shell for only $90 at Sierra Trading Post the other week... so far, I'm very impressed by the performance of the non-Goretex fabric used. We'll see how it holds us... :D

i guess i'm a real sucker for a good design, good fit, and good colors. the arcteryx stuff seems to fit me perfectly, and look amazing... but the price, and the fact that i've already got the full spectrum of outdoor clothing is putting me off...

so much gear, so little time!
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

I think Arc'Teryx is pretty much the best outdoor clothing there is, but VERY expensive.
I do think it's worth it most of the time though. I currently only have one softshell, but i have a feeling my next jacket for outdoors will be an Arc'teryx.
You need to be out a lot for it to pay off, though.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The comments in this thread reminds me of a tag line I read from another poster that gave me a chuckle:

"If you want the best things in life, you've got to be prepared to get RIPPED OFF to get them"
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Mako109 wrote: "If you want the best things in life, you've got to be prepared to get RIPPED OFF to get them"
i dunno, man... i think the pricing of the spydies in my collection was extremely reasonable. :D :D :D

king salmon and halibut and wild blueberries are cost free where i live, too... :p ;)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

clovisc wrote:i dunno, man... i think the pricing of the spydies in my collection was extremely reasonable. :D :D :D
I'm with you on that one all the way. The line still makes my chuckle though and it helps me get over my home and car maintenance bills, oh and the earthquake insurance premiums=8O
clovisc wrote:king salmon and halibut and wild blueberries are cost free where i live, too... :p ;)
Yah rub it in... :)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Mako109 wrote:I'm with you on that one all the way. The line still makes my chuckle though and it helps me get over my home and car maintenance bills, oh and the earthquake insurance premiums=8O

Yah rub it in... :)
if i really wanted to be a stinker to a simms fanatic, i could have mentioned the innumerable steelhead and coho... ;)
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Have two pieces of ArcTeryx and am quite happy with both, well made and durable, look good. Have a Gamma soft-shell and some type of soft shell pant.

I guess I'm a little old school in that I like the premium Gore-tex like XCR, and the stuff before. Haven't had a reason to buy a new shell yet and get newer fabrics (have an old Marmot Guide jacket), but I know what I'm getting with Gore so I will likely stick with it. Although doing away with the bulk of pit-zips is intriguing.

But, while I spend lots of time outside, I will not spend somewhere what I see the premium ArcTeryx shells go for even though I think they may be priced a little less recently. I think they found that $700+ for a shell is asking abit much, the new top end gore-tex shell is $650 (I think), which is still a fair bit outta my snack bracket.

If I had to get a new jacket would look at the 3 layer mountaineering gore-tex from Taiga that is made in Vancouver. Somewhat more reasonable. Might need new gore-tex pants in a few years.

No question though, if money was no object, ArcTeryx is where it's at for me in regards to outer wear.
WTC #1455
tea

Post by tea »

I was a bit disappointed on seeing “China” when I arrived home. I thought all of them were made in Canada. Nonetheless, the finish is flawless. I guess, much like Spyderco, they chose a good factory.

As for price, I think 'style' plays a big part. Arc'teryx while being very streamlined and functional- look sharp. Other jackets lack the same 'style.' Many seem to lean toward one genre or another- whatever 'tactical' or 'mountaineering' should look like. Just my opinion, but the Arc'teryx have a more general look so they can be worn anywhere without making to strong a statement.

I don't know if I explained that well
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

tea wrote:I was a bit disappointed on seeing “China” when I arrived home. I thought all of them were made in Canada. Nonetheless, the finish is flawless. I guess, much like Spyderco, they chose a good factory.

As for price, I think 'style' plays a big part. Arc'teryx while being very streamlined and functional- look sharp. Other jackets lack the same 'style.' Many seem to lean toward one genre or another- whatever 'tactical' or 'mountaineering' should look like. Just my opinion, but the Arc'teryx have a more general look so they can be worn anywhere without making to strong a statement.

I don't know if I explained that well
tea, you may have just hit the nail on the head. i think the "style" is as much the reason i'm attracted to arcteryx stuff as performance. their stuff looks pretty darn cool, and fits me very well.

i need to stop obsessing, or else just get something... :D
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Well, I finally did it... I pulled the trigger on an Epsilon softshell. Now I don't have to go to the store to obsess over it... :D I admit I was pretty well suckered by the gorgeous green color.

It looks great -- the kind of shell I can wear when I'm running errands... yet still makes me look good enough for meetings with officials, and employees at the Borough offices when I'm doing consulting work.

Up here, an Arc'teryx coat is more or less the same as an Armani suit... and just as socially acceptable at fancy-schmancy meetings and dinner events... but more practical. And less spendy. :D

The fit is great -- it's maybe the best fitting, best looking piece of outerwear I own...

Very satisfied. I expect it'll perform well for years. :D
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

The Arc'teryx mountaineering jacket looks so much more streamlined and trim when I compare it to mm marmot. I bet it packs smaller and is lighter as well. I just may have another piece of Arc'teryx gear in my future after I wear out what I have.
WTC #1455
tea

Post by tea »

Congrats Clovisc!

I'm sure you won"t regret it. I don't anyway.
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

The Alpha SV Pro Shell is still made in Canada indeed....I'm very happy with mine.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||