Knife laws in Minnesota

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jonny8642

Knife laws in Minnesota

Post by Jonny8642 »

Ok I know I haven't posted on here in a long while again :rolleyes: . But I know when I am in a jam I can count on my spydie brothers and sisters to help me out. so heres a quick run down on whats going on I got a new job(very surprising in this economy) and I had to relocate to Minneapolis MN, Well Brooklyn Park to be exact.

But anyways. i was wondering if there are any laws I should be worried about carrying a knife within city limits or in the state in general? More in less about lade length and if assisted opening knives? Once again I hope to be back posting here soon. Since all my friends are back in CO and talking to them will slow down eventually.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never been to Minnesota, but Bernard Levine's Knife Laws of the 50 States page should give you an overview of state laws. Not sure regarding AO's. Some states say they're not autos, others say they are, some are vague. NY allows them to be sold, but if you're caught carrying one while doing something that's illegal, they'll tack on a "carrying a switchblade" charge for good measure.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Near as I know, anything under 5" is legal, except for in Minneapolis, where it's under 4". Assisted open knives are okay, as long as they're not Automatics. I carry 3" blades, and I've never had a problem, even when I've used them in view of Police Officers.

Congratulations on the new job! I hope you like Minnesota as much as I do; I'm glad to have another knife bro in Minnesota!
Back from an extended hiatus.
Jonny8642

Post by Jonny8642 »

Thanks Deacon and blackhair, this will help me out a lot especially since I am used to CO laws. Were you can't carry anything over 3" unless its hunting season and you have it on your belt. thanks again guys