watchmen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
walace

watchmen

Post by walace »

on the screnns in france last week, I saw him (:eek :) , I read the comic 20 yers ago (I'm also a comics collector..)
I thinck it's the film of this century....
for those who know it, I imagine RORSHASCH with a civilian...
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

I saw it a couple of days ago, very bleak and very harsh in spots, loved it!

Great line when Rohrschach is falsely imprisoned with a bunch of people he sent to prison and is threatened by many............."I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with me!"

NOT a kids movie though, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 16 no matter what the rating may be.

Regards,

BRIAN
amen74

Post by amen74 »

This movie is rated "R". I believe 17 and under are not permitted without an adult.
There were many good parts in this movie.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

I saw it, the movie theaters around here don't care. I turned 17 a week after I saw it thought, so I think I'll live.

I didn't particularly like it, I knew nothing about it going into it, it took me a little to figure out that it was going back and forth in time, and the gist I got from the plot was "Yay superheroes. Oh noes we're dying. Ok we fixed it!"
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Just saw it tonight with my two adult sons. Great movie. Story depth of a novel, unique cinematic style, unusual plot and characters ... Loved it.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Well, I think some of the drama in the movie wasn't portrayed as well as it should, but many of the characters have some great development, and the plot opens up many different moral and ethical type questions as well as deeper questions about the nature of humans and higher beings.

I'd rate it as above the similar epic story movies like Sin City and 300. The violence was a little much and tended to overpower the subtleties of the story, but there was still a lot of details crammed in.
KSDbass wrote:I saw it, the movie theaters around here don't care. I turned 17 a week after I saw it thought, so I think I'll live.

I didn't particularly like it, I knew nothing about it going into it, it took me a little to figure out that it was going back and forth in time, and the gist I got from the plot was "Yay superheroes. Oh noes we're dying. Ok we fixed it!"
Might I suggest a slightly different movie or two that might match your tastes better? How about the Incredibles or TMNT? (jk, :p , but they are also great movies :D )
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
walace

Post by walace »

buglerbilly wrote:I saw it a couple of days ago, very bleak and very harsh in spots, loved it!

Great line when Rohrschach is fafsely imprisoned with a bunch of people he sent to prison and is threatened by many............."I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with me!"

NOT a kids movie though, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 16 no matter what the rating may be.

Regards,

BRIAN
Yes the moment in prison is one of the best (in the comic too) and roschach is my prefered character (many years ago my first tatoo was inspire by him...)
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

amen74 wrote:This movie is rated "R". I believe 17 and under are not permitted without an adult.
There were many good parts in this movie.
THAT depends on the country you're in, here in Australia its rated MA, this translates as..................
Not suitable for persons younger than 15. Persons younger than 15s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The content is strong in impact.
..........this means my 14-year old daughter could be with me and watch it NOT that I'd take her to this movie, not her subject matter as a personal preference and the content is not for her in my opinion in a couple of scenes, I don't have to say which ones that should be obvious.

My son aged 17 would have no problem with it and will probably see it with a mate in a week or so, if not sooner.

R-rating here means..............
Restricted to adults 18 years and older. The content is high in impact
Regards,

BRIAN
untamed

Post by untamed »

Gonna see it this week. Yep, this is the living, breathing version of the the most celebrated and crtically-acclaimed graphic novel in all of comicdom! Hailed even by the mainstream academic! I grew-up with American comics and I read it eons ago so to speak.

Such a breadth and scope of the story definitely isn't kid friendly and comes from the mind of that "madly brilliant" Englishman Allan Moore (who incidentally has never believed that it should be captured in film by Hollywood and scoffed at the idea. He even up 'til now wants nothing to do with it!!!)

Great slices of Americana and political "dystopia" (how the "Kitty Genovese" incident was very significant to Rorshach and the how the government wants to be in total control). I like Dr. Manhattan. Probably the most powerful super-hero type ever conceived, interesting how Dr. M evolves into "godhood".
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

cobrajoe wrote:Well, I think some of the drama in the movie wasn't portrayed as well as it should, but many of the characters have some great development, and the plot opens up many different moral and ethical type questions as well as deeper questions about the nature of humans and higher beings.

I'd rate it as above the similar epic story movies like Sin City and 300. The violence was a little much and tended to overpower the subtleties of the story, but there was still a lot of details crammed in.

Might I suggest a slightly different movie or two that might match your tastes better? How about the Incredibles or TMNT? (jk, :p , but they are also great movies :D )
I'm more of a mindless action fan m'self :D
Always been a big fan of the Transporter series, Transformers was SICK, and I could watch Doom all day long. Though I have been known to put my jammies on and watch some TMNT ;)
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

KSDbass wrote:I'm more of a mindless action fan m'self :D
Always been a big fan of the Transporter series, Transformers was SICK, and I could watch Doom all day long. Though I have been known to put my jammies on and watch some TMNT ;)
Ah a man after my own heart. Love the Transporter series. Just rented Transporter III from Redbox this past Tuesday, know I'll wind up buying it once the price goes down. But Commando is still my all time favorite, for pure mindless violence it's hard to beat. :D Do want to see Watchmen, but will wait for the DVD, don't think I could sit still for three hours.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I saw it last weekend. I have to agree that it is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I love the main idea that crime-fighters aren't these perfect people with unquestioning morals. That you see a lot of messed up things and they affect you.

I would go see it again.
DM
Smile, it can always get worse
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Well, I kinda feel compelled to comment, given I've been using this pseudonym since my first days on the interwebs. :rolleyes:

Saw the movie in IMAX yesterday. If you are a fan of the graphic novel, I think it gets an "A" for effort in character portrayal and set design. Rorschach is almost pitch-perfect and the highlight of the film. Even his out of mask scenes are pretty riveting (kudos to Jackie Earle Haley). Likewise NightOwl was well captured in a good mix awkward + masked hero. The only character I feel they didn't get quite right is Ozymandias.

The movie doesn't have the "Lord of the Rings" stand alone capability (i.e. you could take anyone to see LOTR and they will likely appreciate it.) Its not a happy story, lots of dark subject matter, and I think Snyder accomplished quite a feat. Having said that, I went to see it alone and did not punish my wife with 2.X hours of "wha...?" For me, the film seemed to move nicely along and I was not aware of the time, which is a good indicator.

So I do recommend it as a complex film, kinda like a single malt scotch. Not for everyone but certainly I enjoyed it.

As an aside, a trailer played before watchmen was "The Last House on the Left" and had a moment where a person pulls a knife, of course it was a Spyderco. It was cool for me to see an IMAX-sized Spyderco, if only for a moment. :D
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
walace

Post by walace »

I'm agree for ozy
but doc manhatan...whaow! ! !
mserr

Post by mserr »

I saw it the day it came out, good movie. I was really surprised to find out the "rebel" kid from the original bad news bears plays rorschach.
Spydergirl

Post by Spydergirl »

I loved it! I didn't get a chance to read the graphic novel before we went but my bf has it and I'm reading it now. Some people might even find it preferable to read AFTER so they don't have any expectations going in. It is definitely not a kids movie, which was great since I'm not big on kids running around a theater. And I liked Dr. Manhattan's character... ALL of Dr. Manhattan's character ;)
"Life's like a movie / Write your own ending." - The Muppets
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Spydergirl wrote:And I liked Dr. Manhattan's character... ALL of Dr. Manhattan's character ;)
LOL But I'll have to say I preferred Silk Spectre II's considerable ASSets. :)
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

Doc Pyres wrote:LOL But I'll have to say I preferred Silk Spectre II's considerable ASSets. :)
Atleast those were real! ;)
Spydergirl

Post by Spydergirl »

cedjunior wrote:Atleast those were real! ;)
Maybe :p
"Life's like a movie / Write your own ending." - The Muppets
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

The movie was about a giant blue PENIS.
Spydies are sharp enough to cut the fabric of Space and Time

:spyder: