TSA theft

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
battlecreek1

TSA theft

Post by battlecreek1 »

So, I went to Colorado for a ski trip last week and decided to take my Native and brand new D4W (since Colorado law wouldn't allow for carry of my usual Endura). On the way there, no problems.

When we left Steamboat Springs, we flew out of the airport in Hayden. Checked my bags as usual and flew back to San Antonio. When I got home I noticed my bag wasn't zipped closed completely, so I immediately opened it and found all of my stuff rummaged thru and just stuffed haphazardly back in my bag. My first thought was 'stolen Spydies' because I had heard of it before. To my dismay, I was right. Some TSA agent decided to go thru my stuff and steal the Native and D4W :mad: I'm filing a claim, but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

I always pack my blades in my underwear to deter this exact situation, but maybe I need to zip tie thru the Spydie hole from now on. I can't stand gov't inspectors.

Rant off.
~ Jon M. :spyder:

Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome,
and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters,
your wives and your houses." - Nehemiah 4:14

You wanted to know what the bad guys looked like. Now you know. It may happen again. My job is to take care of you. I was appointed to do that by God. I will kill anyone who touches you. Do you understand? - The Road
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I would love to hear the excuse you got, about why they were going through your stuff? I am surprised there havent been big lawsuits aimed at the airline industry for this kind of stuff. It happens all the time, with all sorts of stuff!
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

That's a real bummer. Makes me think back to just yesterday or the day before I read about a guy being charged with stealing firearms from luggage.

I hope you are able to recover your knives, in some form or fashion.
:spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sorry to hear that. It may have been an airline employee not necessarily the TSA. The TSA should have left a note in your bag stating that your bag was searched. Although if the intent was theft, I doubt they'd leave a note. If you file a complaint it should be made with your airline. Good luck and keep us posted.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sorry to hear that....the sad thing part is you can probably buy them back on ebay very shortly. :mad:
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
FastEddie

Post by FastEddie »

Hope you get some satisfaction in this matter, but you can't carry an endura in Colorado? Amazing.

fe
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Why would they do that? It's not illegal to carry a knife in your luggage. Also what is the deal with the knives sold on e-Bay, why are they sold there?
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

That is not cool. Next trip, I'm going to use the trick a forumite mentioned in another post - to put a lock through the Spyderhole and something inside the suitcase. Good idea, sorry, I don't remember who to give credit to though.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Netsquash wrote:Why would they do that? It's not illegal to carry a knife in your luggage. Also what is the deal with the knives sold on e-Bay, why are they sold there?
alot of the confiscations/ lost stuff goes to auctions where you can buy lets say 20lbs of knives..people buy them and then throw them on ebay individually or in lots.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
tasmanH1salt

Post by tasmanH1salt »

Wow that sucks pretty bad. I would hate to lose any of my knives especially the way you lost them. Hopefully something comes out of making that claim to TSA.
hopperja

Post by hopperja »

Netsquash wrote:Why would they do that? It's not illegal to carry a knife in your luggage. Also what is the deal with the knives sold on e-Bay, why are they sold there?
Why would they do that? Because they can.

I had a digital camera taken from my luggage a few years back. The TSA Inspector left the TSA note in my bag, and it was ziptied closed with a blue zip tie. I filed a claim but TSA wouldn't pay it because I couldn't prove it wasn't an airline employee.

I made a recommendation that TSA put some sort of number on the tag to identify who searched the bag. Much like when I buy new underwear when I find the "Inspected by" tag. Until there's some sort of system to track who is in the bags, or the bags are inspected under a security camera, they can steal whatever they'd like from any bags they handle. And, since they have access to any checked luggage, we are all potential victims!

In my opinion, whether or not TSA took my camera is irrelevant, since they won't let me lock my bags to keep people out of them.
hopperja

Post by hopperja »

Pneumothorax wrote:... to put a lock through the Spyderhole and something inside the suitcase....
Remember, all of the TSA inspectors have lock cutters in case the baggage is locked. I doubt a lock through the hole would really deter anyone from taking it if they really wanted it.
markg

Post by markg »

The knifes you see sold on eBay are normally knives that are taking during a pre-boarding search. When people forget the have them with them, or just did not know they cannot take them on the flight with them (on their person). They have the option of missing the flight or just turing it in. These are the knives you see for sale.

I believe you can request to have your bag searched with you present, when the bag is checked.

Using a heavy duty lock should work. Not on the bag, but locking the knife to the frame. Most suitcase locks are small and easy to cut. A good old fashioned Master Lock will deter a thief. The time and the attention it might bring should keep you safe.

Or you can always store the knife in a condom... They will think twice about nabbing it. ;)
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

hopperja wrote: In my opinion, whether or not TSA took my camera is irrelevant, since they won't let me lock my bags to keep people out of them.

Actually you can lock your bags, you just have to use a TSA approved lock, like these: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... locks.shtm

I have used these while flying with knives and have not had anything stolen.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
battlecreek1

Post by battlecreek1 »

mrappraisit wrote:Actually you can lock your bags, you just have to use a TSA approved lock, like these: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... locks.shtm

I have used these while flying with knives and have not had anything stolen.
Wow, I never knew those existed. Thanks so much for the great info and I plan on getting one of these. At least it will keep the baggage handlers out of it.
hopperja wrote:In my opinion, whether or not TSA took my camera is irrelevant, since they won't let me lock my bags to keep people out of them.
Yea, that's how I feel too.
~ Jon M. :spyder:

Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome,
and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters,
your wives and your houses." - Nehemiah 4:14

You wanted to know what the bad guys looked like. Now you know. It may happen again. My job is to take care of you. I was appointed to do that by God. I will kill anyone who touches you. Do you understand? - The Road