Flashlights and Knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Netsquash

Flashlights and Knives?

Post by Netsquash »

Why is it that flashlights and knives seem to go together? I never realized it until tonight but I also get excited over a nice flashlight and I have no idea why. I have three or four flashlights laying around all for different purposes, none are great flashlights but if I found a nice one like some of the EDC models everyone here seems to have I would consider buying it.

Anyone know what it is that makes knife knuts also flashlight crazy?
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Not a clue!!! But I know its true for me to...

Watches... uhhh just avoid those :rolleyes: :) if your not already hooked that is.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
arnon

Post by arnon »

One word ... Toys.Image
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Tricod wrote:Not a clue!!! But I know its true for me to...

Watches... uhhh just avoid those :rolleyes: :) if your not already hooked that is.
Wow, I think knife people share a similar brain wavelength or something. I have always been a fan of watches and I take note of any nice watch I see. I have a neat little coleman watch that has a thermometer in it (it's highly effective at telling me the average temperature of myself and the air combined). I also have a nice Rolex "duplication" that I picked up in Italy. It may not be an original but is still a fine piece of equipment and from talking to a "duplication" expert she said it was one of the finest ones that she had seen. If I had the money I would have a nice watch.

I think Knives, flashlights, and watches are all connected by the fine metalic craftsmanship that goes into them. At least that seems to be what does it for me. I don't think I would be attracted to a flashlight made of wood or plastic. I also like the quality that goes into how the light is created and focused.

That reminds me of the metal pill bottle I use to carry around on my keychain. I never had anything in it but I was just in love with the way the threading from the cap fit so perfectly into the base and formed a near seamless metal cylinder. It was very neat. I ended up taking it off because it kind made me look like a pill popping druggy. I guess craftsmanship mixed with design and function all play a part.
JBE

Post by JBE »

arnon wrote:One word ... Toys.Image
I think you just hit the proverbial "nail on the head" with that one.... :D
Jason
raven

Post by raven »

I think it has a lot to do with "The Gadget Factor" ...We Love Gadgets :p !!! The little things that make everyday tasks a little easier and tolerable.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
EDC 006.jpg
EDC 006.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Nice watch Raven,

Got that exact same one with the rubber strap (cos its easier to clean :p ) I should do a pocket dump of my 'gadgets' as well :D

To reply to the OP. Yeah I agree that I think its the gadget or boys toys factor that comes into play here. I've always liked my gadgets, and recently flashlights have entered into that realm. Over the last few years the addition of -

Guns, Knives, Flashlights, Watches.... hmmmm what next ??? :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
raven

Post by raven »

datan wrote:Guns, Knives, Flashlights, Watches.... hmmmm what next ??? :p
TACTICOOOOOOOL PENS!!! :D :D :D

Take Good Care and Be Safe Always Knifebro. BTW, I love my Seiko Watch ... Built Like A TANK ...Just As Heavy :eek: :p .

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Oh yeah, you means these kinds ? :p

No tacticool ones... just cool ones (for now :D )
Cheers
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

Ever since I joined EDCforums, some three years ago (and later on CPF, BF and this), I've ben building a collection: 13 sets of knife, flashlight and multitool, each with a theme, purpose, or commonality.

Out of those 13 knives, 10 are Spydies (7 Millies, 2 Paras, 1 Endura).

One of the objectives of the collection was to gather one Millie in each steel ever produced, and match it with a Surefire light and a Leatherman multitool.

Accomplished!
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Anyone ever use the cold steel shark pen? It might be a nice pocket accessory.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

I think its the appreciation of a finely crafted tool. In addition to my Spydies I have a dozen different Surefire flashlights, about 8 Leathermans, and my pride and joy, an Omega Speedmaster Automatic Date watch. There really is something about finely crafted metal tools.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Image its a sickness :D
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

ROFL duff72,

Someone afraid of the dark ? :p

Very nice selection there !
Cheers
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Need something to light up my target when the tritium sights don't cut it :cool: -and that picture is from 2006 the collection swelled to over 100 - try explaining to family and friends (especially the wife) why you need that many flashlights
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
whkento

Post by whkento »

Geeeez, my wife thought my 10 or so flashlights was excessive. :eek:

It's definitely got something to do with the gadget / boys' toys thing. Also, it involves the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mindset. When you need a knife, flashlight, etc., you really do need it. And it's a real bummer to not have one handy.
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

You've heard the expression "a stab in the dark"? :eek:

Well, I don't want to do that. :D

Don
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Don Ellis wrote:You've heard the expression "a stab in the dark"? :eek:

Well, I don't want to do that. :D

Don
haha, that gave me a chuckle
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

The gadget/tool factor is high with both lights and knives. It helps that I have to use both at my job.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

arnon wrote:One word ... Toys.Image
AGREED! :cool:

ever since i was little i just loved knives, watches, flashlights, tools, bikes. well thought-out machinery is just mesmerizing. that, and functionality in a pretty package :)

nice to see so many with this frame of mind. har har
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder: