Breville Juicer -- kitchen powertool!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

Breville Juicer -- kitchen powertool!

Post by clovisc »

my girlfriend gave me an early valentine's day present... a Breville juicer! "compact juice fountain" model. might sound like a strange thing for a guy to get excited about, but i've been spending as much as $10 per day on fancy juices at the local grocery stores. at $100 bucks, this thing is going to be a significant cost-saver.

in spite of being "compact," this is the most insanely powerful piece of kitchen equipment i've ever owned. like a jet engine that creates juice from everything from spinach, kale, wheatgrass, and carrots to the expected apples and oranges.

to anyone who has never experienced fresh juice made in a juicer, you are SERIOUSLY missing out. not just on great taste, but on vitamins, which perish and disappear in commercially prepared juices. i've read... you have about 10 minutes to drink your fresh juice before the vitamin and mineral content starts to decline (think of an apple turning brown...).

this morning's breakfast... 5 carrots, 1 orange, 1 red pepper, 2 kiwi fruit, large pile of wheat grass, and a bit of ginger... all condensed into a single, tall glass of awesomeness. had two similar cocktails last night, and feel hugely healthy and happy.

i'm pretty happy... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
hickster

Post by hickster »

Sounds like you need a fairly large stock to keep that thing fed. I bet you are on a first name basis with the guy in your Fred Meyer's produce section. :D
hickster
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

I use a vitamix.
Yesterday i put in mixed spring greens, carrot, celery, avocado, raw cashews, green pepper,
small potato, curry powder and a little miso.

Definitely notice increased vitality since starting regular fresh blends like this.

peace
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

Congratulations!

I bought a Juice Fountain Elite a couple of years ago -- the $300, all-stainless model (it was either than or a Stihl chainsaw :D ).

You're right... it chews through anything and spits out its juice. There are two speeds -- one for harder fruits and vegetables, and another for soft fruits, like grapes and starfruit.

Carrot and green apple and ginger and fresh lime is always good. Plus a green chili for your morning wake-up call.

And beetroot, carrot, ginger, lime and chili is good for a serious... hmm, cleansing.

Three things I especially like about mine: 1) The stainless steel is unbreakable, 2) there are only four parts to break down and clean and they're easy, and 3) the juice jar (plastic, really) on the more expensive model has a "scum guard" that keeps all the froth out of your glass... although it's easy enough to spoon it off if your jar doesn't have one.

Again... well done. I'm just jumping in to second your choice.

Cheers,
Don
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Sweet Gift! Ive been thinking about getting something like that for while, but just cant hand over the cash right now.
Let me know how it holds up long term!
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Slick

Post by Slick »

I am not into juice but if these things could quickly turn beer-fruit into beer I'd take a closer look.

I am just joking. I should head down to the nearest juice bar and see if I could tolerate or maybe even like a variety of juice products. God knows it would be better for me than my favorite neutral grain spirit juice. Hic...

Thanks for the information.

Edit: I do not know how good a value a juicer could be but I very much doubt any juicer could be a better functional value than the better Sihl chain saws.

I refreshed this thread and do not see any reference to "a chain saw OR a juicer. ???

I already have a twenty five year old Stihl still going strong so I guess I should be up for a juicer.

Mmm.. juice?
Not really all that slick ;)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

We have a $1000 Stihl professional saw so I guess a juicer is next :p

Looks like a great idea though, seriously :D

Sverre
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

If there is any disappointment in the Breville Juice Fountain Elite, it's that you can spend 15 minutes peeling carrots, pulling stupid adhesive labels off green apples, paring ginger, finding the green (or red) chili, only to have the Breville juice it all in about four seconds. It's like turning your Maserati's engine on for four seconds and then shutting it down -- the excitement is over all too soon.

For current Breville owners, here's a tip. Put ice cubes in the beaker before you connect it with the juicer. Not only does it chill your juice (assuming you want it chilled), but for those beakers that don't have a scum guard, ice cubes keep much of the froth above the cubes while the juice is below. Then you can use a wide spoon to skim off cubes and froth at the same time.

Recipe of the day: 3 big carrots, 2 green apples, a cubic inch of ginger, one green or red chili.

Peel carrots and ginger.

Put ice in the beaker and squeeze in half a lime (or a whole Thai lime). Connect to Juice Fountain. Shove carrots, apples, ginger and chili through. Let chill for a few minutes while the froth collects on top. Skim off ice and froth and pour.

If you don't like this drink, you don't like juice.

Celery and dark grapes are good. Pineapple and green apples. Beetroot and celery or carrot. The trick for my palate is not to put too many varieties in a single drink.

By the way, we'd been using an old plastic juicer that belonged to my wife before she became my wife and getting it to chew vegetables was like feeding broccoli to an infant.

I bought the Breville right after I saw the woman in the shop shove an entire apple -- including stem, skin and seeds -- down its gullet. Then she field-stripped the machine in about six seconds and showed me there were only four parts to clean (not counting the beaker). It's a great machine that's still running strong after two years.

Cheers,
Don
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Don Ellis wrote:If there is any disappointment in the Breville Juice Fountain Elite, it's that you can spend 15 minutes peeling carrots, pulling stupid adhesive labels off green apples, paring ginger, finding the green (or red) chili, only to have the Breville juice it all in about four seconds. It's like turning your Maserati's engine on for four seconds and then shutting it down -- the excitement is over all too soon.
i know just the feeling, don!!!! still, it's an awesome four seconds! :D :D :D

i've been getting so much pleasure out of this machine... and have noticed incredible improvements to my energy level... also feel like i'm thinking faster, and in a better mood...

and man -- nothing beats the taste of fresh juice!

threw some wild licorice fern root in today... have to go out and collect more alaskan goodies... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

clovisc wrote:i know just the feeling, don!!!! still, it's an awesome four seconds! :D :D :D
Quite right. Remember the wood-chipper shot near the end of Fargo? This juicer isn't far behind. :D

Don
Michael Janich

Re: Breville Juicer -- kitchen powertool!

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear delightfulbags:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a great gift! Good thinking on her part.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I wonder how it's working now, twelve years down the line.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear jasminepeak:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Why does this one thead keep getting bumped by spammers? Kinda funny.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David