Ebay!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Ebay!!!

Post by raven »

Hey All, Just have a question about "evilbay". My girlfriend made an attempt to get a knife for me, that I've been wanting for quite a while ... The MOD CQD Mark II Knife (Manual Version). She attempted to get it for me as a Christmas Gift. She thought she had found one, but it turned out it wasn't available and would be on back order for some time. We found a seller on ebay who advertised he had one on hand.

She decides to get it with "buy now". She gets an email back stating that the knife is not "In Stock" and was also on back order, but would send out a complimentary lock back for the trouble. No Problem, except when she gets the complimentary knife ...I open it and the thing literally falls apart in my hand, like into 15 pieces :( . Not saying it was the seller ...more like the postal service :rolleyes: . It's been about 2 to 3 weeks and we find the knife in stock and on hand with another dealer.

The girlfriend sends an email to the ebay seller stating that she has found the knife elsewhere and wants the order cancelled. The seller sends a message back saying the order would be cancelled, she would get her refund,but would be charged a 10% re-stocking fee.

How can the seller charge her a 10% re-stocking fee for an item he didn't have in stock in the first place and wasn't even sure if he could get the item anytime soon :confused: :confused: :mad: ??? Now, I'm really not upset to much by this ...Just a bit IRRITATED :rolleyes: . I just can't understand how that's right in anyway ...maybe I just don't understand how ebay sellers work. AM I WRONG FOR BEING IRRITATED??? Thanks for listening, Take Good Care All, and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

raven wrote:Hey All, Just have a question about "evilbay". My girlfriend made an attempt to get a knife for me, that I've been wanting for quite a while ... The MOD CQD Mark II Knife (Manual Version). She attempted to get it for me as a Christmas Gift. She thought she had found one, but it turned out it wasn't available and would be on back order for some time. We found a seller on ebay who advertised he had one on hand.

She decides to get it with "buy now". She gets an email back stating that the knife is not "In Stock" and was also on back order, but would send out a complimentary lock back for the trouble. No Problem, except when she gets the complimentary knife ...I open it and the thing literally falls apart in my hand, like into 15 pieces :( . Not saying it was the seller ...more like the postal service :rolleyes: . It's been about 2 to 3 weeks and we find the knife in stock and on hand with another dealer.

The girlfriend sends an email to the ebay seller stating that she has found the knife elsewhere and wants the order cancelled. The seller sends a message back saying the order would be cancelled, she would get her refund,but would be charged a 10% re-stocking fee.

How can the seller charge her a 10% re-stocking fee for an item he didn't have in stock in the first place and wasn't even sure if he could get the item anytime soon :confused: :confused: :mad: ??? Now, I'm really not upset to much by this ...Just a bit IRRITATED :rolleyes: . I just can't understand how that's right in anyway ...maybe I just don't understand how ebay sellers work. AM I WRONG FOR BEING IRRITATED??? Thanks for listening, Take Good Care All, and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
I agree they should not hit you with a restocking fee when there is no item to put back,further they should not list an item they don`t have anyway.That could have avoided the whole situation.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Did you pay through paypal?

I'd say initiate a complaint. I have more trust in paypal than in the sellers of Ebay, and since he didn't deliver, I'm sure you'd win the complaint.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think you should agree to the 10% restocking fee as long as they agree to pay you 25.9% interest on the money you loaned them. And put all the pieces of their "complimentary lockback" in a zip lock bag and mail it back to them.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Absolutely open a Paypal complaint. Just tell the seller you intend to and they may drop the BS. He cannot charge you for not delivering. You will win a Paypal refund if he doesn't give it to you.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Raven,

I believe that is what might be termed false and misleading advertising. Did they state in their eBay ad that the knife is not in stock? Did they mention the knife was a backorder item?

I've had dealings with people like this who end up shipping 4-5 weeks down the track, making excuses etc.

Definitely don't agree to the re-stocking fee. Why chrage you to re-stock their shelves when their shelves were not stocked in the first place. Dropshippers should clearly state that they are dropshippers and save a lot of people angst.

Tell him you do not agree to his terms and if he doesn't refund you the money, then you will be opening up a claim against them and their eBay store. Moreover you are a fairly respected forumite in many places where people have uncontrollable urges to buy knives.... and that reputation spreads like wildfire, especially bad reputation.

Good luck with it all. Hope you sort it out amicably. Shonky dealers shouldn't be allowed to treat others with disrespect. They've had use of your money to run their business, the least they can do is to be honest about it.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I agree with lodging a complaint with paypal and if you didnt use paypal, launch one with ebay customer service. Most of the time both companies are very serious about their reputation and will do what they can to make the situation right.
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

I do believe that you have to file the Paypal complaint within 45 days of the purchase.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Knifebros, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO AND ADVICE ... ALWAYS APPRECIATED ;) !!! I'll talk with my girlfriend and see how she wants to proceed with this. I just don't feel it's right ... not a whole bunch of money lost, but it's still a loss and hate to see this happen to someone that can lose a lot more :( :mad: . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
MileHiKnifeGuy

Post by MileHiKnifeGuy »

Man that sucks!! I thought you had to have the knife in your hands when you put it on eBay or you have to let bidders know there will be a delay. This guy is wants to make money and couldn't care less about his customers. I would teel him to cancel the order, return all of your girlfriends money, and send that piece of cr*p knife back to him and call it even. Other than to give him negative feedback.
A Spydie in every pocket and two more on order; what's a guy to do?