DSLR and circuit city

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BuffaloBill

DSLR and circuit city

Post by BuffaloBill »

i've always wanted a DSLR camera, and since CC is going under they have a closing sale.

currently they are at 10% off (i was looking at either Sony A200 at $499 or A350 at i think $599)

if they go as high as 30% i am considering picking up the A200.

do you think this is a decent camera to pick up for the price and something entry level?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Pretty much any DSLR they make these days is decent. If I remember the Sony DSLR's are copies of the Pentax ones. I have a Pentax DSLR and love it, takes great pics. I just looked up they A200 your looking at, and I would say go for it, looks sweet for a entry level DSLR.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

yea i mean, i like the sony cameras already owned a W50 and currently own a W100 which do a nice job for a point and shoot.

but i'll probably check back maybe once a week and see if there is any change in pricing, they seemed to have a quite a few behind the counter, so hopefully i can grab one up before they're all gone
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
Tank

Post by Tank »

I would do your recsearch on the price before you buy there. When our store closed down they had a digital picture frame I wanted at 40% off of 189.99. When I did my research the MSRP was actually only 149.99. so they marked it up $40 then discounted it for 40%.
-John
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra200/

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... ewsID=3507

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA200/AA200A.HTM

Like Tank posted, you have to research pricing when shopping liquidation sales. All of them misstate the original price and then discount. These liquidation sales are operated by liquidation companies and they have it down to an art form.

Sony has MAP pricing and it appears that the A200 is selling at the retail price pretty much everywhere-that is at legitimate sellers.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

yea i'm aware that they'll raise the price just to discount it againt to make it seem like they are taking more off.

i dont plan on getting my hopes up, cause chances are i'll either miss the discount and they'll be sold out of them before i can get it at a good price. or they'll sell out before they discount them any more
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

Usually by the time these stores start offering any real discounts, most of the good stuff has already been bought and all that is left is junk.
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

my opinion: Nikon D40. great starter. Canon also makes great cameras.

sony makes good CD players, if you like music.

it is better to purchase a camera from a camera store because they usually offer free user classes with the purchase. they also give processing discounts and most offer repair/replace warranties with renewal options. the employees in the camera stores are photographers and will offer helpful advice and opinions. we make all camera purchases from Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera.
(note- the wife is a pro photographer)
ront

Post by ront »

As long as you can get the A200 for the price that you want, you will like the camera. As stated, Nikon and Canon also make good cameras, but the Sony dSLR's are very nice also. Just in case you did not know it, Sony bought Minolta so under the Sony name, is a lot of Minolta blood. They are good cameras and there are a lot of good old Minolta lens that will fit the Sony cameras. I think that CC has started with the 30% discounts also.
I shoot with the Sony A700 and I like it a lot. Everything in my galleries, here, http://ront.smugmug.com/ , was shot with my A700.

Ron