The things people say

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bluntrauma

The things people say

Post by Bluntrauma »

What is the dumbest thing you've heard someone say regarding knife usage?

The reason I ask......

Today at work I went over to one of the other Supervisors office to help him out with something. I looked down on his desk and he had a new Leatherman Charge. Well, I was looking it over and he was looking at the knife (Endura) I had in my pocket.

He looked at the brand of it and said that his dad gave him one that he thought might be made by the same company. He said he had had it for years but never carries it because it's too big.

He said it was made out of stainless and had a long blade that said "Police" on the side. He then elaborated to say that it passed his test for a good knife.

I asked him what he meant.

He said " It prys open paint cans like nobody's business and the blade is still in tact."

*rubs eyes and mouth drops*

:eek:
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

well that means it is a good knife, doesnt it :rolleyes: ?..lol..i admit i have used mine to open paint cans but the knife is in the closed postion and i use the tang near the hole to work the lid open..and then blashemy i know i but i put the tip in the inner rim of the paint can and tap down on the knife with my palm to put a bunch of holes in there so that the paint drips back down into the can. the endura did the job just fine :D .
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Look at the bright side, at least he has a Spydie! And he appreciates that you have a knife on you, you don´t find that to often.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

"I really can't understand why you need to carry a knife... It's dangerous and you could hurt someone..."

And then a little bit later, from the same person:

"Could you help me opening this put in bag, box, clamshell,..."

:rolleyes:

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

There was one time i was frosting a cake when someone walked in the kitchen, looked at what i was doing and asked, "So, what are ya makin?"

My reply was "Lobster Bisque" :D :D :D
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Shenmue728 wrote:There was one time i was frosting a cake when someone walked in the kitchen, looked at what i was doing and asked, "So, what are ya makin?"

My reply was "Lobster Bisque" :D :D :D
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's yer siiiiiiign! LOL
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Bluntrauma wrote:. . .He then elaborated to say that it passed his test for a good knife.

I asked him what he meant.

He said " It prys open paint cans like nobody's business and the blade is still in tact."

. . .
So, that must mean that my Stanley prybar makes a good knife.

Wait...is my Stanley nothing more than a slightly unrefined Busse? :p :D
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Once when I was showing off one of my Custom Made Harold Corby Sub-Hilt Fighters, a comment was made..it went something like this:
"Wow!!!, I'd be proud to be stabbed with a knife like that"....my comment: "I can appreciate the fact that you like this knife...ummm but just think about what you are saying for a moment"......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Once when I was showing off one of my Custom Made Harold Corby Sub-Hilt Fighters, a comment was made..it went something like this:
"Wow!!!, I'd be proud to be stabbed with a knife like that"....my comment: "I can appreciate the fact that you like this knife...ummm but just think about what you are saying for a moment"......Doc :D
Wow nice knife would have sufficed eh? :)
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

From co workers:

"Are you go hunting?" while using my Tasman/SE
"Where do you need that machete for?" while using my Endura 3/SE. A while later after that remark from the same co worker: " there goes Rambo again"
"You can't cut anything with THAT" while looking at the serrations of my Military

And the funny thing is that all those co workers are using a Stanley knife all day which, completely extracted, is just as long as my Endura/Milie :confused: :confused: :(
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Well nothing really exceedingly stupid about knives, being 16 years old it's much easier to just learn to be subtle. Teenage girls don't do so well when the turn back around and I'm wielding my millie :D
One girl did tell me:
"Oh you drive stick? I couldn't do that, I like to change the radio and stuff when I drive."
I told her "It isn't a rowboat. If you stop moving the shifter knob, the car won't stop moving..."
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

[quote="KSDbass"]
"Oh you drive stick? I couldn't do that, I like to change the radio and stuff when I drive."
I told her "It isn't a rowboat. If you stop moving the shifter knob, the car won't stop moving..."[/QUOTE]

thats funny :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I was told that serrations were only good for cutting bread.
To which I nodded smiled and walked away.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

When I first got my 93 mm Rescue SE, a few of my friends (who are far from NKPs) made the comment that it looked like a bread/cheese knife. I then proceeded to shave with it and they were :eek: . They couldn't believe that a serrated blade could be sharper than a utility knife. I showed them :D
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

Had a few friends from Church over one night and one of them asked (he was never without his trusty SS Leek) ...

"What's the difference between a Spyderco Knife and some of those other brands you sell?"

I said, "About 50 bucks, but follow me to the garage and I'll show you the real difference...."

I took out my Green serrated ZDP Delica and proceeded to slice through cardboard like butter.

He was at my store the next day and bought 2 Green PS ZDP Delica's, one for him and one for his best friend. I have yet to see him at Church since without his BRG Delica clipped in his pocket.
Spyderco Collector #162
fret

Post by fret »

Guess who said this to me. "Sonny boy, you've got so many knives, you're gonna pee your bed." :eek:
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

My fave that I've received more than once...

"Why do you carry such a big sharp knife?"

"Because a small dull knife does me absolutely no good."

or more recently

"Because a Small Dull knife is as good to me as a Ball Bearing when cutting"
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I was in Atlanta over X-mas with my wife's family, while unwrapping a wheelchair so that my wife's grandma could join us for dinner I was asked "why do you carry that huge knife?" I was carrying/using my CalyJr, so I replied "well my knife is coming in pretty handy isn't it?"
The best part is my wife chimed in "If you think that's huge you should see his Endura" :eek: :D
After enlightenment, the laundry.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

psimonl wrote:"I really can't understand why you need to carry a knife... It's dangerous and you could hurt someone..."

And then a little bit later, from the same person:

"Could you help me opening this put in bag, box, clamshell,..."

:rolleyes:

Simon

same here, everyone asks "you need that big knife to open ..." i only carry a delica or UKPK. then later i'm asked can you help me open something. and i open it, cause i dont like to hand my knife over for someone else to use, because most people barely know how to walk properly let alone use a knife in a safe and in a way that wont "accidently" smack my blade edge against a metal pipe.

i just tell them i'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

i think when most people think of a knife that you'd carry on a daily basis they think the little swiss army knives. that i'm sure everyone has owned at least one of
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

In class one morning and someone has brought bagles. I'm using my leatherman wave to cut them in half for people.

"Oh good, someone brought a shank."
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared