Flashlight advice is needed.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Jimbo,
On 5 lumens the concentrated part of the beam is kinda small but good for the task it was designed with a good spread of light. The 80 lumen out put is awesome, the light covers a large area and a good solid concentrated center that at 3-5" would be enough to full cover a mans face.
A good comparison would be a G2L, holding the G2L and E1B side by side in a dark room the beams are very similar.
DM
Smile, it can always get worse
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Thanks for your time DMgangl and your post. Going to have to have a boo at one when I can get ahead of some bills and projects that are on the go. I can't get over how much the runtimes and performance of the new flashlights has eclipsed the older lights that were no slouches to start with.
WTC #1455
TCSpyder

flashlight

Post by TCSpyder »

I purchased a Dorcy LED light at Sears for about 25 bucks. About the size of a mini-mag light, but with more girth. Very bright. Batteries last forever. It has a strobe feature as well. You can't beat it. A lot of the Surefire lights eat batteries. This thing takes 3 AAA.
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting and drinking!
If you cheat, may it be a death; if you steal, may it be a heart; if you fight, may it be for your Brother; and if you drink, may it be with me.:spyder:
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

TCSpyder wrote:I purchased a Dorcy LED light at Sears for about 25 bucks. About the size of a mini-mag light, but with more girth. Very bright. Batteries last forever. It has a strobe feature as well. You can't beat it. . .This thing takes 3 AAA.
I had one similar to that. IIRC, the package said 45 lumens. I got it for $10 at Wal*Fart.
A lot of the Surefire lights eat batteries.
Only the incandescents and older-generation LED models.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
bh49

update

Post by bh49 »

Today I received my new 6PL and I am very impressed. Now I need one more, a little one. Not sure yet:E1B or E1L or L1 :confused: .
Most likely L1.

Gentlemen, Ladies,
Thank you very much for help and support.
Special thanks to SimpleIsGood229.

The only problem so far with this light, that I didn't figure it out how to sharpen it on Sharpmaker :confused:
Any advices? :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

actually, it will sharpen your sharpmaker.

congrats on a superb selection. you will not be disappointed with the performance of that little guy.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

CONGRATS on your choice! May I also suggest that you check out Novatac. They are great lights.
Novatac
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I picked up a Surefire E1B Backup a few months ago and it is fantastic. It's my first Surefire and my first LED after years of disappointment with a variety of Maglites and cheapo generic junk. Maglites are okay I guess but the Backup is in a whole other class. Wow! I'm really fighting the collecting itch on these things now.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Congratulations on your new Surefire!

If you want a pocketable made-in-the-USA EDC light, you need to look into Peak LEDs. They are single level only, but they are quite compact and well-made. You may be able to find something within the $50 range.

Their website is next to useless. Don't look at it - it will only confuse you. Instead, check out this tutorial at CPF.
Ainsley

Post by Ainsley »

Great choice on the 6PL, and yes you do need a more compact 1xCR123 light. I personally have a E1L as well as a Novatac 120P and find myself carrying the Novatac alot more often.

One thing you should know about the Surefire E series lights is that they use an optic to gather and project the light. This results in amazing throw for the diameter of the head (throw usually requires a very large head) but produces a very tight spot that is not very useful for upclose work. A very good solution is to use the F04 beamshaper, which turns the light into pure flood; I personally use this on my E1L and it makes a great work light.

For this reason I would HIGHLY suggest you check out the Novatac lights. The 120E currently sells for under $100 if you look around and there is a way to access the programmable features, turning it into a full 120P. Novatac uses a short, textured reflector that produces quite a lot of flood but still maintains a useful hotspot. The texturing on the reflector gives the beam a smooth transition from the hotspot to spill without any rings or artifacts.

I know you will be happy with either of these great lights, but my vote would be for the Novatac.

Edit: The E series lights are 2 modes which cannot be adjusted, the Novatac lights are 4 modes and once you access the programming all modes can be changed.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:Gentlemen, Ladyies,
Probably the big part to set up the cost limit of $50 was due to my ignorance on the subject. I saw on the web some Inova (X1 and X5) and Pelican lights in this price range, but I have no idea on how good they are and if they fit my needs. Also SF-6P-BK @ our favorite pharmacy is little over $50. I am planning to carry and use this light, so to buy used on the bay or Forums also is an option. I certainly can, and most likely will, add some cash to this purchase. Still I need input from people who know the subject and who I trust, this was the primary reason why I asked this question on Spyderco forum. And I appreciate you advice.
Inova makes the very good T1 that has a street price of about $50 and is made in the US.

$52 with free shipping: http://http://www.knivesshipfree.com/LE ... _info.html

It is 100 lumens out the front and runs for 4+ hours at that brightness, the 6PL is about as bright at the start, but drops in output a bit too fast. It is IMHO a better choice than a 6PL or G2L from Surefire. And I love my Surefires ;)

The T1 is also usually less bluish then most led lights due to Inova using a different led than most other brands.

Surefire's lower end led lights aren't very good at the moment, they can easily be fitted with a Malkoff drop in making them wonderful, but then you are over $100..

Sverre

Edit: saw you got the 6PL a bit late...
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:Today I received my new 6PL and I am very impressed. Now I need one more, a little one. Not sure yet:E1B or E1L or L1 :confused: .
Most likely L1.

Gentlemen, Ladies,
Thank you very much for help and support.
Special thanks to SimpleIsGood229.

The only problem so far with this light, that I didn't figure it out how to sharpen it on Sharpmaker :confused:
Any advices? :D
I'd go for the L1 in every way.

Novatac has lower QC now then at the start of their production, but it is still a good light. They can at times be had at very low prices.

If you register on cpfmarketplace.com there are some good deals to be had on flashlights from dealers and member :D
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

NoFair wrote: Surefire's lower end led lights aren't very good at the moment, they can easily be fitted with a Malkoff drop in making them wonderful, but then you are over $100..
I am a Malkoff believer, man! Those little things are amazing. Gene (Malkoff) even has warm-tinted versions. I'm tempted to get the M60W next.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote:
saw you got the 6PL a bit late...
May be this is a bit late, but never too late. 6pL is my first LED light and I like it.
It is little too big to share my front pocket with Persian and cell phone, but I think will be great for car flashlight.
NoFair wrote:I'd go for the L1 in every way.

Novatac has lower QC now then at the start of their production, but it is still a good light. They can at times be had at very low prices.

If you register on cpfmarketplace.com there are some good deals to be had on flashlights from dealers and member :D
I will keep my eye on Novatac as well, and for $50 will get it for sure, but right now L1 sound like a winner.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Cuttingedge

choose light

Post by Cuttingedge »

hELLO

I bought a Fenix l2d with two aa batteries. ITS GOOOOOOOD

Just buy one and fall in love. It's better then my Mac Charger or
anything I've had..

BEn :cool:
:D :spyder: Ben
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Better yet, buy the new LD20. Same as the L2d, but with more power.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Tom v S wrote:Better yet, buy the new LD20. Same as the L2d, but with more power.
Not that soon. I need (want) a little pocket light, something smaller than 6PL

bh49

Update

Post by bh49 »

Update for my friends on this Forum.
Just pulled a trigger on L1. L.A. police gears has 15% off until midnight of 21. So hurry up guys. I couldn't resist. :o
No more knives or lights for me until March :eek: or February :D .
February, actually sound better. :D :D :D

cdf

Post by cdf »

Correct me if I'm wrong but Inova is US made , and has models in the OP's price range . They are a tad bit conservative but well done .

Chris
bh49

Post by bh49 »

To the best of my knowledge, Inova lights made in US. I was thinking about T1 as one of options for smaller light, along with L1 and Novatacks.