Anyone here into Scandi/Nordic knives ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cdf

Anyone here into Scandi/Nordic knives ?

Post by cdf »

I've become curious /intrigued by their clean and simple lines . The fact that buying good blades is not too expensive , and builds could be a good form of winter entertainment is just a bonus . Info /ideas and pictures would be welcome . I can handle the leatherwork part myself but handle ideas would be great .

Chris
Shagnasty

Post by Shagnasty »

Chris the classic handle material is masur / karelian birch. Beautiful stuff. Im looking for some myself at the moment. Spacer material is some times buffalo, pewter, other dark exotic woods. Which blades are you considering? I like helle, but will be grinding my own very shortly.

Larry
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Don't know much about them, but I think that's a cool thing you brought up, ethnic blades are definitely intriguing... :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

This is my Scandi knife, it is hand forged by Veikko Hakkarainen from carbon steel, the handle is made from slivers of artic birch bark and brass, and it provides an exceptional grip, even when wet.
It comes complete with a leather sheath with protective plastic insert inside.

I put a microbevel of 30 degrees inclusive on it's edge, which is still very sharp but a little more durable than the standard zero grind.
Pictures where taken from a commercial site, mine has no printing on the handle or the sheath.

Veikko lives in a small village near to Rovaniemi, and there is no doubt that he is one of Finland’s finest knife makers and if these kind of knives are your sort of thing then get one from him, you won’t be disappointed."

cdf

Post by cdf »

double post , oops
cdf

Post by cdf »

I was considering a Helle or Bruseletto blade , if I decide to go with lminated stainless . If I decide to go with Carbon steel the choices are almost limitless , I was thinking of a Lauri progressive temper ( 52 rc spine 60ish on the blade ) . After doing a few , if I felt confident I might try one of the really nice blades . It still works out cheap compared to a North Americam custom , and its it's interactive .

My first attempt will probably be a Mora ( cheap and cheerfull , but cut well ) . I will likley go with curly maple and Caribou for the handle . This is only a slight departure from tradition .

I like some of the design concepts - ie: guards only being needed by children . The pouch type sheath found on modern high end drop points is basically a Scandi idea . We use belt loops , they use danglers .

From my limited research , it seems most Scandi's not used for wood working have a small microbevel of some sort . If stropped it would be a micro convexing .

There seem to be three major strains of the Scandi virus , Norse , Sweedish , and Finnish . BTW , Finns are not Scandinavians , at least linguistically .

I would have to say it is probably one of the better thought out and practical enthnic traditionals , witness the fact that it is still going strong today . Modern high end custom Scandi's fetch top Euros , plain working stiff Scandi's are very much alive and well .

Chris
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I have a Charles May Handi Scandi that I LOVE.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
JT

Post by JT »

cdf wrote:I was considering a Helle or Bruseletto blade , if I decide to go with lminated stainless . If I decide to go with Carbon steel the choices are almost limitless , I was thinking of a Lauri progressive temper ( 52 rc spine 60ish on the blade ) . After doing a few , if I felt confident I might try one of the really nice blades . It still works out cheap compared to a North Americam custom , and its it's interactive .

My first attempt will probably be a Mora ( cheap and cheerfull , but cut well ) . I will likley go with curly maple and Caribou for the handle . This is only a slight departure from tradition .

I like some of the design concepts - ie: guards only being needed by children . The pouch type sheath found on modern high end drop points is basically a Scandi idea . We use belt loops , they use danglers .

From my limited research , it seems most Scandi's not used for wood working have a small microbevel of some sort . If stropped it would be a micro convexing .

There seem to be three major strains of the Scandi virus , Norse , Sweedish , and Finnish . BTW , Finns are not Scandinavians , at least linguistically .

I would have to say it is probably one of the better thought out and practical enthnic traditionals , witness the fact that it is still going strong today . Modern high end custom Scandi's fetch top Euros , plain working stiff Scandi's are very much alive and well .

Chris

Hi there Chris,
my modest take on the subject is, that there's several lines of scandi knives, but two most clear to me. Users and "showroom" stuff.
I prefer users.. :cool:
Carbon steel is the most common in users, but Mora uses laminated steel, has been using for decades.Older Mora's were without lamination. I have a few left, and they're okay too. For DIY, I'd go for the Lauri, its a real worker blade.. easy to resharpen, and bites to wood like nothing else :) And maybe some curly birch..

Btw, there's a difference between a scandi grind knife, and a Puukko. for example Kwakster's is a Puukko, if / because it's made by Veikko Hakkarainen.

And Finns are Scandinavians, geographically. Actually we are one of the oldest native people around here (northern europe), says those who have studied our genetics. But our language is one of the most difficult languages in the world (so they say?) I know that Norwegian and Swedish languages are close each other in the same language group, but ours is not. Yeah, we are a bit different. Crazy Finns :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

those are absolutely gorgeous knives...!!!

i've got a mora, plastic-handled survival knife... very great stuff. i can see why this design works -- and is loved -- so well.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

JA!

I am into such blades. I have some old ones made by my ancestors> :cool:
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
TCSpyder

Swedish knives

Post by TCSpyder »

For the money you can't beat a Frost Mora knife. They are tough as **** and easy to resharpen. The carbon steel versions hold an edge longer, but the stainless is great as well. I heard the laminated ones are the best, but I haven't purchased one yet. I own Swedish military model acquired through Amazon.com. It came very sharp. It easily dissected the box it was shipped in. :D
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting and drinking!
If you cheat, may it be a death; if you steal, may it be a heart; if you fight, may it be for your Brother; and if you drink, may it be with me.:spyder:
Billy

Post by Billy »

I don't own any, but when you hang out in the WSS forum over at BF you get to see quite a few of them. :D Beautiful, simple, elegant, functional...what more could you ask for in a fixed blade?
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
JT

Post by JT »

here's some pics of mine,
I posted them earlier on another thread, but might as well post them again, since these are scandi knives :D
Marttiini Small Lynx:
Roselli Carpenter’s
carbon steel:
no name military Puukko, my uncle’s ex army user:
Leuku:
JP Peltonen Rangers knife (sissipuukko)
JT

Post by JT »

group shot:
size comp with a Caly3:
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Wow, very nice! I'm just starting to really like these kind of knives. Not sure how it ranks in terms of Nordic knives, but I just ordered a laminated steel Helle Futura. I'm really looking forward to it. :)
JT

Post by JT »

A small "butterknife" I put together.. I'll use it as a food prep knife outdoors.
It's small, but still sharp as a razor. (note, I just made the handle and the sheath, Sheath isn't finished yet. The blade was forged ready for me)

Here it is with LBK and Dodo for size comparison :)

O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Wow, I have a J Martiini which looks like the lynx, but has a darker wood handle & the tang goes right through handle & rivets over a convex brass washer. The blade is engraved J Martiini Finland & something else on bevel maybee mois? Blade length is 108 mm handle & bolster 115 mm , it goes into a leather sheath ,stamped J Martiini Finland, belt loop, riveted & stitched & the bottom end is shaped something like a moose antler. The spine of this knife is very thick 4 mm.
Could you please tell me some more about this knife ,nightdog, like intended use & the blade always stays shiny, could it be stainless ?
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

I really like these knifes, this style is one of many I would like to obtain.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
lerman

Post by lerman »

here is a scandi knife i'v made a few months ago, the blade is made out of a file, handle is wenga, brass, and horn.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

lerman, that's seriously amazing, man. your knifemaking skills are getting hugely impressive!!!! :D :eek:

-jason
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: