Kubatons/Koppo Sticks/Pocket Sticks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

DCDesigns wrote:I have a wood lathe (actually, several...). Do yall think there would be a market for custom turned kubatons? I was thinking of using cocobolo or ironwood. Anything that is ultra dense and hard, yet still interesting to look at. I might experiment with a couple profiles and see what I come up with. If I have any success, I'll post pics.
I for one would be interested to see what you come up with....Doc :)
PM sent
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ditto.....I would like to see what you came up with........Cooley makes some good stuff. I have one of his 11 inch yawara sticks made out of cocobolo.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

stonyman wrote:Ditto.....I would like to see what you came up with........Cooley makes some good stuff. I have one of his 11 inch yawara sticks made out of cocobolo.
Doesn't surprise me one bit John... LOL, you probably have 15 kubotans cut out of Moses's Staff as well.....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That Cooley site was very impressive. Thanks :)
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I carry an armadillo - great for keeping the keys in your pocket too.

Tail goes out, head into my hand, index finger laying at the top of the middle arch. Draws blood, delivers a lot of force pretty easily, and next to impossible to remove from your hands.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jeep45238 wrote:I carry an armadillo - great for keeping the keys in your pocket too.

Tail goes out, head into my hand, index finger laying at the top of the middle arch. Draws blood, delivers a lot of force pretty easily, and next to impossible to remove from your hands.
That's cute..."Is that an Armadillo in pocket or are you just happy to see me...Kinda Thingy....LOL Doc :p

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Works great for pop tops, twist tops, and cans. Solid 1/4" or so aluminum to boot :D

And No Doc - I'm not happy to see you. :p
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Doc, you know me all to well!!! Hahaha!..... :D
DCDesigns

Hand Turned Kubaton

Post by DCDesigns »

Ok, so I always have wood scraps laying around, and after I saw this thread, I figured Id turn a little piece of Cocobolo I had into a Kubaton. Cocobolo is a great wood for this, its really light, yet REALLY HARD.

Doc- Thanks a ton for the info and pictures, it helped a ton! I think this first prototype might not be ideal for all grips, I look forward to your feedback.

Ok This:

(note the M4 GB next to my M2 small skew chisel. Man I wish I could combine these tools :p . Id pay a ton for a M4 skew. I love HSS)

Is now this:

I took a page out of spyderco's book and made the coves angled inward away from the the palm on both sides for a kind of Bi-directional grip. The length is 5.82" width .73" at center of palm swell. I departed from traditional profiles somewhat by going back up in diameter to .77" towards the end to help with weapon retention. -Doc, this might need to be de-emphasized a bit to help with speed between grips. Both ends taper, with the strike end ending in a blunted truncated cone for use on pressure points, and to focus force on a smaller area. The bevels around the hole are hand carved with my Dragonfly 2. Had to use a :spyder: to make it relevant!
This is just a quick prototype, I imagine the palm swell will need to be minimized as well as the width of the ends.

What do yall think? any critiques?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Nice work DC, that cocobolo sure is pretty...The palm swell could even be larger....and the point could be a tad more pointy...but **** good for a first attempt for sure...Here is a pic of one I designed with a forum member here "TH232" Will is his name....you can see in the pic that the palm swell is quite large, but still worked well in grip changes.....
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... er_103.jpg[/img][/IMG]
Doc :D
PS: All that is missing from that baby is the Spyderco Logo in 3D right dab smack in the middle...LOL

2cha

Post by 2cha »

Beautiful!!! I love your follow through. Awesome.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Thanks yall! It was a fun little project. The great thing about a wood lathe is any profile is possible as long as you hold the tools steady. Doc, thats an interesting design, looks pretty easy to make too. I will continue experimenting with scraps until I find a profile that will work best. Thanks! -DC
amok_nok

Post by amok_nok »

Here are some of the ones I make. they have a quick carry - access system something most palm type sticks don't have. heres a vieo of how it works and some pics...
http://youtu.be/mwjqh7_KCu0
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Nok!...How are you?...Question for my favorite wooden knife maker...how thick is the Kubotan pictured at the top?....Send my regards to Randy....Doc :D

amok_nok

Post by amok_nok »

Hi Doc the are about a half inch thick x 1"wide they fill you hand nicely one end sharpened to a wedge edge.
Glad you like my Hawks Doc only trouble with them is they are allot of work and time to make not something you would want to pay for twenty of them to give away at a seminar.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

I don't own a Kubotan, but have considered purchasing one. Unfortunately, I know of nobody offering actual training in its use in my area. Without knowing how to use it properly, it's just one more thing to carry.

There are books on the subject, but I tend to doubt their usefulness. As with any form of self-defense, there is no substitute for training with someone who really knows what he's doing.

Pretty much any hard object can be used as the proverbial "blunt instrument". I already carry a flashlight that would serve the purpose if it came down to that. In any encounter close enough to use a flashlight/Kubotan, having the skill set to make the most of it is at least as important as what you have in your hand.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Because I travel so much, purpose-designed Kubotans are a no-go. TSA knows what they are. As such, I go with a light (currently a SureFire Aviator) and a Tuff-Writer pen (Operator). I have beat the snot out of the Tuff-Writer stuff and love it. The owner, Jack Roman, also trains very actively, which I respect. Many pen makers are just that. If you don't use them, you don't know how to make them as good as they can be.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Hmm, those Tuffwriter's look fine. And, made right here in the good 'ole US of A. Hmm,...

Post by 224477 »

Mike are you able to travel internationally with the Tuff ? I mean flights.

The Tuff stays always a pointy metal object that might act as a weapon, in their eyes.

I carry a Schrade pen too, but would not try to get it lost on an intl flight, therefore I have other low profile stuff that stand in for ocassions like that.

Thanks for your feedback. :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

NYRich wrote:I don't own a Kubotan, but have considered purchasing one. Unfortunately, I know of nobody offering actual training in its use in my area. Without knowing how to use it properly, it's just one more thing to carry.

There are books on the subject, but I tend to doubt their usefulness. As with any form of self-defense, there is no substitute for training with someone who really knows what he's doing.

Pretty much any hard object can be used as the proverbial "blunt instrument". I already carry a flashlight that would serve the purpose if it came down to that. In any encounter close enough to use a flashlight/Kubotan, having the skill set to make the most of it is at least as important as what you have in your hand.
Ay NY Rich,
Not for nothing but I offer training in the Kubaton in not only workshop form at least once a year but also private instruction in it's use...Pm me for further info If you are serious about learning...Doc :)