EDC Flashlight Recommendation

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
quattrokid73

EDC Flashlight Recommendation

Post by quattrokid73 »

In light of my current design project (an emergency flashlight), I've decided on upgrading my EDC flashlight.

I currently have an Arc AAA-P on my keychain, which is exceptional for light duty and is solid as a rock.

I also have a Surefire G2 (incandescent) that I use for more demanding tasks, as well as camping, urban exploration, night hiking, and searching for my cats when they hide 8-)

The Surefire is a nice light but at 60 lumens/1hr of runtime (with TWO CR123s), it's not very efficient.

I wish I could afford an Arc 6, but $300 is steep.

I've been looking at the Novatac series as well as the Surefires. I am very confused as to the differences between the Novatac line. Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, how do you guys like the Surefires as compared to the Novatacs? Perhaps the E1B and L1 in the Surefire line.

Ease of use is a huge factor to me. I want something that is drop dead reliable but never a hassle to adjust.

Thanks!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I would look at two Surefire lights. First, if you like the G2 then check out the G2L. This light has an 80 lumen output and will run for 12 hours. Thats a huge improvement over the original. It runs around $65. I use it as a duty light and it is great. The second light is the E2B. It is little. It uses one battery and puts out 80 lumens on the main beam with a TIR (quite a tight beam), and has a second out put level at 5 lumens IIRC. This one is around $145. I have one for my off duty use, and my wife uses one in her purse too.

Good luck!
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
JD Spydo

The Surefire E2d Defender: Close to perfect

Post by JD Spydo »

I have 6 different models of Surefire flashlights. The one I EDC at work and that I carry in my side leg pocket in my Carhartt jeans is my Surefire E2d Defender. I find that light to be so handy that I can't even imagine being without it.

I have 3 small Surefire flashlights I could EDC with no problem but the E2d Defender just seems to be the perfect unit :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I'd say definitely look into getting the LED version of the G2 or an LED drop-in lamp for the body you already have. Great light with wide spot and nice throw, plus great runtime.

The Novatac is an awesome little light. I have the basic EDC model. You get 3 levels plus a strobe. Works like this...

Click tailcap once = on at low level
Click twice quickly from there = go to medium level
Click twice quickly from medium = go back to low
Click twice quickly & hold second click = go to high level (you can do this from off, low or medium)
Click three times quickly from any level = go to strobe
Click once from any level to turn off

Seems more complex written out than it is in practice. It's easy to do after playing with the light for a bit.

As best I know the main difference on the 120T is that it goes right to full brightness from the start. The 120P is programmable. I believe it allows the user to select their own brightness for low, medium, high, etc., but I do not know the specifics of it.
~ Nate
nuubee

Fenix?

Post by nuubee »

May I suggest the Fenix L2D (or P2D)? I started out with an L2D (now Q5). It runs on 2xAA. I currently use lithium, but in an emergency, you could get an alkaline blister 2-pack from the Dollar Tree store for a buck. On fresh lithiums, the lowest light stage is rated at 55 hours. The newest version (the LD20, has a slightly lower low and is rated at 71 hours). My L2D low is enough light for 99.99% things I need it for. I can't imagine needing more light than what I can get from the turbo mode. That's what I carry in my coat pocket when it's coat season.

The fenix store (http://www.fenix-store.com) will also sell you a spare P2D/tailcap sub-assembly (1xCR123A) that is completely compatible with the L2D head for only $23.50. They also offer plastic thread caps (they call it a 'battery storage cap) for sale for $3.50. In warm weather, I take the head off of the 2xAA, put the thread protector on it, and put the head on my 1xCR123A, and carry it in my front pocket. The runtimes are supposedly a little bit more than 1/2 of the L2D.

You can also buy a 1xAA body/tailcap sub-assembly (L1D) that is compatibly, but the turbo mode is not as high as the other two.

Yes, they do have multiple modes (6), by I never need to bother with them. When the head is not tightened down all the way, I just click it once for on (low), and if I need a lot of light, I just tighten the head down and click it once for on (turbo). I don't really need the other 4 modes, but they are easy to avoid dealing with.

The fenix store has free shipping above for orders above a certain amount, and I think there is an 8% discount candlepowerforums.com code
(CPF8? - don't quote me on that).
catamount

Post by catamount »

You can get the LED lamp assembly from Surefire to upgrade your G2.

http://www.surefire.com/P60L

I EDC a yellow G2 LED, and love it.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
nuubee

malkoff devices - dropins

Post by nuubee »

If you're considering an LED drop-in for your G2, you might want to consider Gene Malkoff's website at http://www.malkoffdevices.com His Surefire drop-ins are not inexpensive, but are extremely well-regarded. His M60LL is rated at 80 lumens, and will run for about 8 hours. I've heard that you aren't supposed to use the brightest one, the M60 (235 lumens), in the Nitrolon models, even though it is listed in the description of compatible models. There is an in-between one, the M60L, at 140 lumens, for 4+1/2 hours, and another 'floody' version. He also makes some high-performance led drop-ins for Maglites.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I want to completely replace the G2. I should have specified that, sorry! I plan on giving it to my brother.

Also, I should have specified I am not interested in Fenix lights. They just don't do it for me.

Anyone else have experience with the Novatacs? I'd like to know from someone who has both.

Also, on the new Surefire E1B, how do you adjust the brightness?

I think I'll be taking a research field trip to TAD gear to check these out.

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

quattrokid73 wrote:I want to completely replace the G2. I should have specified that, sorry! I plan on giving it to my brother.

Also, I should have specified I am not interested in Fenix lights. They just don't do it for me.

Anyone else have experience with the Novatacs? I'd like to know from someone who has both.

Also, on the new Surefire E1B, how do you adjust the brightness?

I think I'll be taking a research field trip to TAD gear to check these out.
I would get the Surefire L1 if I were you. Best way to choose brightness; press a bit for low, press more for high. Low is enough for a lot more things than people think. High is pretty impressive and runs for 2 hours+

The E1B has a clickie tail switch and turns on at the brightest level. To switch to low you turn it off and on again fast. Repeat to switch back to high.

The Novatacs are very nice, almost as good as HDS/Ra lights (same designer). The programmable model lets you set up the light the way that suits you best. It isn't hard at all. They are quite a bit better than Fenix in build quality and I prefer the beam of the led they use over the Cree led Fenix uses.

Lighthound is a great store and stocks quite a few of them:

http://http://www.lighthound.com/search ... 1&catid=48

Sverre
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have 6 Surefires but my absolute favorite for EDC...I would suggest the E1L Outdoorsman , very lightweight and built to last...more than enough lite.... I put a KL1 Adapter with the bevel edges which adds 25 more lumens to it's already 45 Lumens. 70 Lumens for a such a small light is awesome. SureFire's LED Conversion Heads differ from other manufacturer's LED flashlights by using a digital regulator (KL1 & KL3) to maintain a consistent level of light output for as long as possible, while also protecting the LED module from current and heat-related damage. SureFire is the first to utilize these breakthrough features in a hand-held LED. The E1L is ultra compact (finger length), dual-output mini LED flashlight with extended runtime. Its virtually indestructible, two-stage light-emitting diode (LED) light source produces a smooth, pre-focused beam that, at maximum output, is over twice as bright as that of a big two-D-cell flashlight. At its low setting it produces a useful three lumens of light and continues producing useful light levels for 40 hours on a single lithium battery. Small size (it's lightweight enough to clip to hat brim for hands-free operation), dual output, extended runtime, and 10-year battery shelf life make the E1L perfect for camping, backpacking, travel, emergency/disaster preparedness kits, or as an everyday-carry for general use...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Which Novatac model are you interested in? Build-quality rivals Surefire.

I have the 120P, and love it. But must admit that I have it set to the factory default settings. Haven't bothered to program it. The beam from the Seoul P4 emitter is a thing of beauty.

If you want something really simple, with multiple modes, the 120E or 120T might be better. (Main difference are the settings). "E" comes on in a low-mode first. "T" comes on in a very bright setting first. "P" is what you buy if you want to custom program your light to your specific needs, with an amazing amount of output choices.

The Novatac 85 models are also good, and a bit less expensive. Their max output being, obviously, 85 lumens as compared to 120 lumens.

Surefire E1B is slippery as ****.

You did mention that ease of use is important to you. The L1 is ideal for that. Push the tailcap a bit for low light. Push it all the way down for max output. Best part is, if you're in a situation where you need max output, just push your thumb down hard. You go straight to max without cycling through the lower mode.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
JD Spydo

Surefire 6P LED

Post by JD Spydo »

If an LED light is what you're looking for then I got a good one to recommend. Surefire has taken one of it's older models and has made it available in LED. The 6P is a great old standby model and it is a really handy light in LED. You can keep the parts on hand to have it in either LED or incandescent either one.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

If you want to upgrade your 6P don't get SF's P60L, because it kinda stinks compare to other offerings cost the same.

Personally I have Novatac 120P and SF L1, and L1 is my EDC.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

quattrokid73 wrote: Also, on the new Surefire E1B, how do you adjust the brightness?
On the E1B the first beam is the 80 lumen, and the second beam is the 5 lumen. You click or just depress the tail switch, when you turn it off the next beam is the less bright one. If you use the main beam and leave it off for 5 seconds, it defalts back to having the main bright beam come on first again.

The E1B is smooth, but I would not call it slippery. It's supposed to be this way so you can get it out of pockets without damaging them, and so it can slide out eaiser. Unless you walk around with crisco on your fingers I don't think you'll have too much of an issue with the "slippery" factor.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

How about a Nitecore? Good lights, easy user interface.
Or a Jetbeam? Good lights but the user interface is a bit more dificult.
Both brands can be had in AA or CR123.

Good luck with your search.
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
dwong

Post by dwong »

I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

jzmtl, can you please explain why you choose the L1 over the 120 for EDC?

Right now I'm liking that I can have three modes plus a strobe from the 120T, and that the brightest mode comes on first. It also has a strobe and the button is fully exposed.

That said, I like the simplicity of the L1, but it lacks output as compared to the 120T, along with a strobe.

I'll definitely handle both at TAD gear and hopefully be able to make a decision that way. But it's always good getting user opinions first.

I wanted to head over there today but they closed early.

T.R Walsh

Edc Light

Post by T.R Walsh »

Try the Surefire Back up. I just picked one up and used it on a job already. Lite and handy....
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

DFD04 wrote: The E1B is smooth, but I would not call it slippery. It's supposed to be this way so you can get it out of pockets without damaging them, and so it can slide out eaiser. Unless you walk around with crisco on your fingers I don't think you'll have too much of an issue with the "slippery" factor.
Going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. I got to try out an E1B at a B&M shop. I really wanted one, but was amazed at just how smooth it was. If your hands are dry, not an issue. If you have sweat on your hands, it's like trying to hold onto a wet bar of soap.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I'd like to suggest, you take a look at Candle Power Forum.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?

A lot of useful info, but watch out.
Flashlights can get as addictive as knives.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com